new calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Dvperez81":dvntzpsj said:
Beefy":dvntzpsj said:
are you sure somebody didnt just sell them while you were gone?
nah cattle are too far away from anything . people are loyal to employers down there. and besides they need trucks to haul them out and that is usually during the dry season . its a small size town . everyone knows everyones bussiness . plus they lynch people who do anything bad take matters into their own hands .
I think when you get back down there, It'll be time to make a BIG Noose. Maybe several of them.

I thought the snake pictured looks like a Fer-de-lance. Very bad! But did a quick search and now I think it could also be a Jumping Viper, based on the picture at the site below. Pretty similar in appearance to a Fer-de-lance.

http://www.aircav.com/survival/appe/asappe06.html

Dvperez, do ya'll have any Golden Lancehead vipers down in Guatemala?

Your newborn calf didn't look all that much like a "dead calf walking" to me, but I remembered that your ranch is in central America and I'm a bit familiar with the way some of the brahman-type cattle look way down south of the US border. And many of the customarily seen, leggy & bony looking, mature cattle in Mexico and below would surely give many folks in the USA the erroneous impression that they were on the verge of death, especially if pictured during drought times.

AZ, I did a search on venemous snakes, of Central America and came up with the same creature. Thought it was a Viper at first, but believe you got it right.

Arnold Ziffle":27xli88d said:
I thought the snake pictured looks like a Fer-de-lance. Very bad! But did a quick search and now I think it could also be a Jumping Viper, based on the picture at the site below. Pretty similar in appearance to a Fer-de-lance.

http://www.aircav.com/survival/appe/asappe06.html

Dvperez, do ya'll have any Golden Lancehead vipers down in Guatemala?

Your newborn calf didn't look all that much like a "dead calf walking" to me, but I remembered that your ranch is in central America and I'm a bit familiar with the way some of the brahman-type cattle look way down south of the US border. And many of the customarily seen, leggy & bony looking, mature cattle in Mexico and below would surely give many folks in the USA the erroneous impression that they were on the verge of death, especially if pictured during drought times.

to tell you the truth im still learning alot about the surrounding territory . I know we have jaguars in the area along with wildboar and this other thing that looks like and ant eater but it isnt . has really long claws 2 dogs that were with us on a horseback ride last year were attacked by this thing we werent able to kill it but it looks like a skunk? except i think it was brown climbs trees long claws fury . and yes the pic was taken during a drought . as far as snakes I know we have pythons what type I dont know . boa's are very popular especially in the northen area where im at. Ive seen alot of different snakes but I woulndnt know the names of them .

fer-de-lance Known in guatemala as the barbamarilla . thats what they call it in my area.

Muratic":1pqkyxsv said:
Dvperez81":1pqkyxsv said:
f2a3.jpg

this is one of last years . I wont have any recent pics until after january . :(

Sure as hell wouldn't suprise me if there was no recent pics of him cause he turned up dead. Why in the hell would someone post a picture of a calf THAT horribly emancipated. WAKE UP!!!!!
Don't you see that calf is on it's death bed? Instead of taking pictures you should have been either giving it a lead bolus or feeding the poor little thing. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Holy Crap! Are you telling me that this calf was emancipated? :shock:
I thought he was just emaciated!! :lol:

I have been in Guatemala with the army.I did not realize they actually raised cattle for beef,I thought thay just used them for draft animals.When I was there all they had to eat was black beans and tortillas. Guess that nafta and cafta has brought them up in the world. ;-) :cboy: :lol:

Ryder":3htxvxje said:
Dvperez,
Maybe you need to put out a bunch of snake traps.
I ordered plans for building traps from a man on ebay, but I never got the plans.

ok.. its not a bad idea the only problem I see is after I catch the snake what do I do with it ?? the second thing I doubt a snake trap will keep snakes from biting the bulls . I know im never gonna get rid of them, currently whoever is doing any type of labor out on the field and he kills a snake I pay him $10 its not alot but it keeps them happy. heck some of them have even told my dad "maybe we should become snake hunters instead of working out in the fields we make more money killing snakes " :lol:

Dvperez81":398uaolf said:
Ryder":398uaolf said:
Dvperez,
I ordered plans for building traps from a man on ebay, but I never got the plans.

ok.. its not a bad idea the only problem I see is after I catch the snake what do I do with it ?? the second thing I doubt a snake trap will keep snakes from biting the bulls . I know im never gonna get rid of them, currently whoever is doing any type of labor out on the field and he kills a snake I pay him $10 its not alot but it keeps them happy. heck some of them have even told my dad "maybe we should become snake hunters instead of working out in the fields we make more money killing snakes " :lol:
After you catch it you kill it. Which is what should be done with all snakes in my opinion.

aussie_cowgirl":3qwfri19 said:
i heard that a cow can only be bitten on the nose or the snake to have any effect....

Maybe it depends on the kind of snake. We used to lose a few cows every year along the Mex border from snake bites in the neck/throat area

dun

Dvperez81":2lk2z15g said:
Ryder":2lk2z15g said:
Dvperez,

Isn't 10.00 in Guatamala a pretty big Bounty?

Crowderfarms":2dqjkg3b said:
Dvperez81":2dqjkg3b said:
Ryder":2dqjkg3b said:
Dvperez,

Isn't 10.00 in Guatamala a pretty big Bounty?

$10 current exchange rate is Q7.59. minimum salary per day I think is about $6 or $7 . I rather Pay up than loose cattle which are worth more .

Latest posts