New Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok all, here's the update.

I watched the calf nurse this morning and it doesn't look like she is getting much, from what I can tell, but I'm no expert. I went back to the house and mixed up 1 Qt of Colostrum (left over mix from Thursday) put the calf in the back of the truck and 15 minutes later she had it all down. Mom was a bit nervous during this and kept sticking her nose in the bed of the truck. I watched after this and the calf again tried to nurse for awhile but not sure if she got much.

Three hours later I went back with another Qt of colostrum and fed her right in the field. Mom wasn't nearly as nervous as she could see and lick the calf as it nursed the bottle. Fifteen minutes later, the Qt was gone. Also, I notice the calf's tail wags when getting the bottle and I don't see much of that when she is nursing mom.

To answer one question: The cow has access to good hay, a 30% protein tub, and loose mineral. I have four other mothers and their calves are doing fine.

So, I think I'll supplement with good milk replacer for a couple more days and see what happens. The issue I have is only my mother lives at this farm and I go there 3-4 times a week. It seems best to leave the calf with her mom and supplement and maybe the cows milk will eventually come in. Or, I can separate the calf and put it in the barn and my retired mother can bottle feed it twice a day.

Any thoughts are welcome.

tw...,

Nice calf. Momma cow may need some help.

Continue what you are doing but, give the momma cow some dry feed each day and see if she reponds with more milk. Ask the local co-op. We have a Johnson sweet feed here that many say helps.

twabscs":10971afh said:
Ok all, here's the update.

I watched the calf nurse this morning and it doesn't look like she is getting much, from what I can tell, but I'm no expert. I went back to the house and mixed up 1 Qt of Colostrum (left over mix from Thursday) put the calf in the back of the truck and 15 minutes later she had it all down. Mom was a bit nervous during this and kept sticking her nose in the bed of the truck. I watched after this and the calf again tried to nurse for awhile but not sure if she got much.

Three hours later I went back with another Qt of colostrum and fed her right in the field. Mom wasn't nearly as nervous as she could see and lick the calf as it nursed the bottle. Fifteen minutes later, the Qt was gone. Also, I notice the calf's tail
wags when getting the bottle and I don't see much of that when she is nursing mom.

To answer one question: The cow has access to good hay, a 30% protein tub, and loose mineral. I have four other mothers and their calves are doing fine.

So, I think I'll supplement with good milk replacer for a couple more days and see what happens. The issue I have is only my mother lives at this farm and I go there 3-4 times a week. It seems best to leave the calf with her mom and supplement and maybe the cows milk will eventually come in. Or, I can separate the calf and put it in the barn and my retired mother can bottle feed it twice a day.

Any thoughts are welcome.

twab,
I think it is still premature to give up on momma raising the calf. She may be milking more than you think at this point. Stay very alert and act appropriately to the situation as you have been. A mediocre momma is better than a bottle calf IMHO.

Here's another detail. I was doing some searches and read some on the Colostrum manure that calves have.

Today, after the second quart of Colostrum, the calf urinated and was straining for several minutes. Eventually, she dropped some very yellow, sticky looking manure. The calf is now 3 days old. Does this sound about right to take that long to shed the original colostrum manure?

Another detail is that she still does not "romp and play" that you normally see in a three-day old calf.

Anyway, I'll keep up the supplements for both the calf and cow.

The calfs' probably already pooped before now.

The first one is usually as black as coal tar.

Mike, I saw that (muconium) right next to calf when I found her in the ravine, which was three days ago now. Just asking when the colostrum manure typically comes. She put significant effort into both urinating and defecating - like she hadn't done it much.

we had a bucket calf that didnt get colostrum soon enough and he had a really yellowish kinda slimy running poop. i hope that doenst mean that your calf didnt get colostrum. i really hope it did!

cattleluvr18":3q9nc4n5 said:
we had a bucket calf that didnt get colostrum soon enough and he had a really yellowish kinda slimy running poop. i hope that doenst mean that your calf didnt get colostrum. i really hope it did!

From my research here, a yellow sticky manure is from colostrum. It was bright yellow and sticky, like paste, not slimy.

Today, the calf took 1 Qt of milk replacer and that's all it wanted. Hopefully it's getting more from mom. I also hand feed mom cubes when I'm giving the calf the bottle.

Well, maybe mom isn't giving much. Today I went out with a full 2 qts and the calf ran to meet me and sucked it down in 5 minutes. Given that behavior, is Mom giving anything at all?

twabscs":25dueoid said:
Well, maybe mom isn't giving much. Today I went out with a full 2 qts and the calf ran to meet me and sucked it down in 5 minutes. Given that behavior, is Mom giving anything at all?

Only way to know for sure would be to separate them for a few hours and then milk her out. Doesn't sound like she is, but we have had calves act like that, and drink a bottle of milk down, yet when we test milked th cow she had plenty. One of them weaned a 600# heifer last year.

Latest posts