NEW CALF

Help Support CattleToday:

starbaby

Reaction score
CALF BORN AT 622 AM THIS MORING \ MOM WILL NOT LET NURESS \ GAVE ONE BAG COLOSTRUM 630 PM \ DOES CALF NEED ANY THING ELESE \ ANYWAY TO GET MOM TO LET NURESS /PLEASE HELP

Give that baby colostrum for at least three days...and keep working on the mother. Can you milk her? You need to milk her right now and feed that baby the colostrum for AT LEAST 3 days. If you have to use the dried colostrum, do it! But try like heck (I hate that "be nice" thing) to milk the mother or get her to accept that calf.

Alice

HOW MANY TIMES A DAY DO YOU GIVE THE DRIED COLS\ WE HAD COUNTY EXT. COME OUT TO HELP US ( WONDERFUL PEOPLE ) COULD NOT GET THE MOM TO NURES \ GAVE ONE BAG DRYED COLS . TONIGHT \ WHAT DOES KEEP WORKING ON MOM MEAN \ THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELP

WHAT DOES KEEP WORKING ON MOM MEAN

It means try to get the calf to nurse from Mom. Do you have a headgate or sturdy post you coould restrain Mom and let calf nurse, or milk the mom out yourself and feed it to the calf.
or go to the store and get milk replacer and maybe some more colostrum if you're going to bottle feed the baby. Most people like to try to get the cow to accept the calf because bottle-feeding is a big job, and the calf will be healthier if it's nursing it's mom.
Does that make sense?
Susie

If you can't get the calf to nurse...take that back, if you can't get mother cow to let it nurse, get more dried colostrum. Feed that baby the whole contents of the colostrum at least twice a day...even if that means break it up into 4, 5, 6 times a day...give that baby the equivalent of 2 bags a day no matter how many times a day the baby will take it. What the baby doesn't drink, put in the refrigerator and rewarm it and continue to serve it. However, if you can get the mother to let the baby nurse, that of course, is the best.

I'm sorry, I'm tired...been one long, long day...I hope I'm not confusing you. At least 2 bags of dried colostrum per day, no matter how many times you have to offer it to the calf. Do you know how to tube a calf? Dang ("be nice" avoidance again), I hope so.

Good luck.

Alice

If the calf will suck, headgate the cow or tie her up, then either hobble her back legs or tie one leg (the one on the side you are working on) back so she can't kick. Then get the calf over to her and get him sucking her. You will have to stand behind the calf to push it up and push his head down by the teats, and depending on his desire, you may have to put the teat in his mouth. Once he has sucked her out I would separate them for a few hours then do this again. If you have hobbles on her, leave them on and you can try just putting them in a pen together. Hopefully, he will go and suck her on his own. She won't be able to kick the calf, but she might still bunt him with her head, if that is the case, you may need to headgate/tie her up again.

dont panic and run all over creation buying what you dont need.get the cow up take a rope and wrap around the cows flank right behind the udder and in front of the back legs and tighten down. she shouldnt kick in this position.get the calf up there and let it nurse might have to help get started and dont buy a several bags of colostrum for one calf. ive never had too use more than one bag.

Latest posts