• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New calf with underbite

Busybeefcattleco

Reaction score
So my 7-year-old commercial cow had her fifth calf two weeks ago. It's a bull and will be a freezer calf. But I'm pretty certain he has a slight underbite. How can I know for sure that that's what it is and is there anything I can do to fix it at this stage since he's so young? I wasn't expecting any problems with this calf since all four of the others were practically perfect. Also should I alert the owner of the bull that he has this problem since I don't want him to have any future problems Otis it probably just from my cow? (Her first two calves were bulls and from a different bull. This one's two full sisters are very well built and have sound teeth.)

greatgerts

Reaction score
I would venture to think it is a fluke deal. Things just happen sometimes.
I'm not sure about fixing it. Guess you could see about braces, but I don't know how much the other calves would make fun of him, lol. I would just make sure that he can eat and drink ok.

MRRherefords

Reaction score
greatgerts":2iphid32 said:
I would venture to think it is a fluke deal. Things just happen sometimes.
I'm not sure about fixing it. Guess you could see about braces, but I don't know how much the other calves would make fun of him, lol. I would just make sure that he can eat and drink ok.
I agree. This is something that I would not blame the bull or the cow for. Hope that it turns out for you.

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too concerned about a "slight underbite". He's going in the freezer, not going to be a breeding animal. As long as he can eat and drink, he'll be fine.

farmerjan

Reaction score
Is the calf nursing and growing? at 2 weeks he should be showing signs of rounding out and fattening up a bit? If so, and if you see him nurse and the milk isn't all spilling on the ground, I would just not worry about it. We have a steer calf that has a bottom jaw that is "crooked" , at an angle from the top jaw. He seems to eat fine, and is weaned and eats at the bunk and eats hay. He will be a freezer beef since we would take a big hit on him at the stockyard but as long as he seems to be eating and growing, we aren't going to let it be a concern. The cow has had 2 other perfectly normal calves and is bred back for next year.

bird dog

Reaction score
It will probably go away as the calf ages. I have had a couple like that and by the time they are a month old you could never tell anything was wrong.

Latest posts