New calf with underbite

Help Support CattleToday:

Busybeefcattleco

Reaction score
So my 7-year-old commercial cow had her fifth calf two weeks ago. It's a bull and will be a freezer calf. But I'm pretty certain he has a slight underbite. How can I know for sure that that's what it is and is there anything I can do to fix it at this stage since he's so young? I wasn't expecting any problems with this calf since all four of the others were practically perfect. Also should I alert the owner of the bull that he has this problem since I don't want him to have any future problems Otis it probably just from my cow? (Her first two calves were bulls and from a different bull. This one's two full sisters are very well built and have sound teeth.)

I would venture to think it is a fluke deal. Things just happen sometimes.
I'm not sure about fixing it. Guess you could see about braces, but I don't know how much the other calves would make fun of him, lol. I would just make sure that he can eat and drink ok.

greatgerts":2iphid32 said:
I would venture to think it is a fluke deal. Things just happen sometimes.
I'm not sure about fixing it. Guess you could see about braces, but I don't know how much the other calves would make fun of him, lol. I would just make sure that he can eat and drink ok.
I agree. This is something that I would not blame the bull or the cow for. Hope that it turns out for you.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a "slight underbite". He's going in the freezer, not going to be a breeding animal. As long as he can eat and drink, he'll be fine.

Is the calf nursing and growing? at 2 weeks he should be showing signs of rounding out and fattening up a bit? If so, and if you see him nurse and the milk isn't all spilling on the ground, I would just not worry about it. We have a steer calf that has a bottom jaw that is "crooked" , at an angle from the top jaw. He seems to eat fine, and is weaned and eats at the bunk and eats hay. He will be a freezer beef since we would take a big hit on him at the stockyard but as long as he seems to be eating and growing, we aren't going to let it be a concern. The cow has had 2 other perfectly normal calves and is bred back for next year.

It will probably go away as the calf ages. I have had a couple like that and by the time they are a month old you could never tell anything was wrong.

Latest posts