New calf market

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Seems folks down here are paying pretty good money to rent calves. Some of the people who compete in cow horse events are going to places and basically rent a few minutes in a pen with calves so they can work on penning, roping, cutting, and other stuff.

So, some folks got tired of renting because of the high cost so they are buying some calves from me so they can work for as long and when they want. They will use them till they get too big, take them to market and then come get a new crop from me. I just charge a fixed price per calf which is just a bit higher than market value. I save on $4/gallon + fuel, wear and tear on truck and trailer, save on my time too as I have to haul 80+ miles to market, save stock yard fee's and commissions as well.

Will see how long it lasts. Sort of like having a stock contract.

Yes. There are several ropers around here that run a few corriente. Two of them buy hay from me and they want cull bales for their cows and premium hay for the horses.

So, I guess I messed up. I had a guy trying to sell me his Corriente bull cheap and I passed. Could have got him for hamburger price. He was puchased to be used as a bucking bull and the guy had to move for his job and needed to dump the bull.

Horned bulls just aren't in my future. :cboy:

flaboy - I was reading your first post in this thread and then I got to that one sentence - "I just charge a fixed price per calf which is just a bit higher than market value." That's when I started laughing, fell in the floor and I think I may have injured myself. We all know what you done went and done! You found yourself some pigeons to sell calves to!!! At least, that's what I used to hear them called all the time. I guess all that time spent under Crowder's wing finally paid off! :lol2: :lol2:
Go get 'em - I'm jealous!

Bullbuyer":3x3ieqna said:
flaboy - I was reading your first post in this thread and then I got to that one sentence - "I just charge a fixed price per calf which is just a bit higher than market value." That's when I started laughing, fell in the floor and I think I may have injured myself. We all know what you done went and done! You found yourself some pigeons to sell calves to!!! At least, that's what I used to hear them called all the time. I guess all that time spent under Crowder's wing finally paid off! :lol2: :lol2:

Which goes to prove, Barnum was right!

heck he fell into the cattlemens goldmine.selling roping calves to the ropers.them boys will pay good prices for calves.because every 4 month the ropers will change calves because they get to big or to used tobeing roped.an they wont run tobe roped.

Bullbuyer":1j4jdixr said:

I started to reword that. I knew you vultures would expect the worse. Bullbuyer, never and I mean never insinuate I would ever, ever use any of Crowders practices. :lol2:

What I do is this....I look at the previous weeks market values based on frame and weight when they ask for prices. I bump those numbers up just a little incase the market goes up before I am ready to haul them. This is usually only 5%. I am not trying to rip the pigeons like some of those folk in Tenn try to do. :shock:

Now if I could find me some good old northerners wanting some calves I would only mark them up 50-75%. :nod:

Alright flaboy - just a few more questions before we call the better business people! The biggest question is who owns the scales these calves are being weighed on? And who is assigning the frame score?
It sounds to me like maybe you're using the oil companies' approach to marketing. You're hedging your bet in case the price goes up - of course, I'm sure you refund their money if price goes down. ;-) ;-)

Don't be tryin' no 50% increase - ain't nobody wantin' them big eared, slow growin' calves. We try to make money, we can't keep them calves around until they're old enough for social security!!!!
:D

Bullbuyer":3j16zf21 said:
Alright flaboy - just a few more questions before we call the better business people! The biggest question is who owns the scales these calves are being weighed on? And who is assigning the frame score?
It sounds to me like maybe you're using the oil companies' approach to marketing. You're hedging your bet in case the price goes up - of course, I'm sure you refund their money if price goes down. ;-) ;-)
:D

I'm just an old country boy trying to survive. :lol2:

Got a friend that picks up a lot of those small roping type calves. He actually "loans" them to the ropers. Their obligation is to feed them a good grain mix plus hay and give any medications and anything else they might need and in return they get to rope them. If one dies they just bought it at a price previously agreed to. When the calves get too big for them they bring them back to him and he gives them another batch. Next day he's on the way to the sale barn to sell the big ones and buy more small ones.

TexasBred":f5d5kxtv said:
Got a friend that picks up a lot of those small roping type calves. He actually "loans" them to the ropers. Their obligation is to feed them a good grain mix plus hay and give any medications and anything else they might need and in return they get to rope them. If one dies they just bought it at a price previously agreed to. When the calves get too big for them they bring them back to him and he gives them another batch. Next day he's on the way to the sale barn to sell the big ones and buy more small ones.

Good deal if you can get it.

Now, old Bullbuyer will go off and buy some old long eared, mangy four legged critters, take them to market and sell them at a 20% loss. He thinks he is making money because he is selling something the man said he would make him a deal on. :lol2:

Hey - do them ropin' fellers need something kind of slow to train on? I was thinking that a guy just starting in the sport of roping - if poker is a sport then roping has to be - he would need a slower target for practice. I know where there's gonna be a big ol' Holstein sale here in a few weeks and them critters would be easy targets - long legs and slow as molasses.
So, fla, can you handle about two dozen of them mighty fine bovines?
Don't think of them as holsteins, think of them as "off color" baldies! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Heck BB, I have a hard time selling mine off to "ropers". Mine are all poled. They want something they hang a rope on rather than really doing it like it supposed to be done. Of course in my book the only way to properly catch one is to bulldog it. :cboy:

Now if I could find me some good old northerners wanting some calves I would only mark them up 50-75%. :nod:[/quote]

Not trying to pick a fight but, I am having a hard time making sense of this. Why would you do that to someone because of where they come from? :?

A lot of what the member from FL says doesn't make any sense 3way. You see he is still ticked off that he didn't get in on the "market" boom when folks were selling swampland in Florida. He's trying to recoup some of his losses from that time. What he clearly does not understand is that just because a person is from North of the Mason Dixon line they still aren't gonna buy their cattle from someone in "cruise" wear and flip flops. ;-)

However, as a display of a little "Mn nice" ~ I'm gonna let fb in on a deal. See, there's a herd to the north of me yet, that is being "reduced" at a significant discount (I'm thinking about.....oh....50-75% of the given weeks market value.:shock: What a deal!!). The thing is though, the Mn Dept of Animal Health has been paying "special attention" to this herd. Silly words like "quarentine" and "closed" floating around. But you know how over reactive the state can be. :roll: If loaded at night, and MM goes along as relief driver ~ I'm thinkng we could have them in his yard by the weekend! I'll even bring him some lutefisk! :cowboy:

;-) See ya soon fb :tiphat:

flaboy":3tqxtgns said:
Now if I could find me some good old northerners wanting some calves I would only mark them up 50-75%. :nod:

You'll take a check........ won't ya ? :)

Larry

3waycross":7yfr3w1q said:

Not trying to pick a fight but, I am having a hard time making sense of this. Why would you do that to someone because of where they come from? :?[/quote]

With all due respect 3way, you can't even begin to comprehend the mess they have made down here in the last 20 years. If you did you wouldn't have to ask this.

Here are some examples of things they put in place in our local governments down here. Now these are for everyone. City, county, boondocks.

Fence permits (new fence)
Fence repair permit (all)
Tree permit (to cut down a tree)
Pole barn permits
Barn repair permits
Just to mention a few.

You see, they have come down here (retired) with the attitude that we are just old backwoods, redneck, southern, cowboys, country folk that just don't know how to run our own local governments and laws. So, they have wormed their way in to our local government offices and started instituting their wills. The last thing they did in 07 was make everyone pay for garbage pickup regardless of the size of your operation. Prior to this it was 5 acres or less had to pay. Before that is was city only.

Do you maybe have a better understanding of my position now?
:cboy:

flaboy":204zsvat said:
3waycross":204zsvat said:

Not trying to pick a fight but, I am having a hard time making sense of this. Why would you do that to someone because of where they come from? :?

With all due respect 3way, you can't even begin to comprehend the mess they have made down here in the last 20 years. If you did you wouldn't have to ask this.

Here are some examples of things they put in place in our local governments down here. Now these are for everyone. City, county, boondocks.

Fence permits (new fence)
Fence repair permit (all)
Tree permit (to cut down a tree)
Pole barn permits
Barn repair permits
Just to mention a few.

You see, they have come down here (retired) with the attitude that we are just old backwoods, redneck, southern, cowboys, country folk that just don't know how to run our own local governments and laws. So, they have wormed their way in to our local government offices and started instituting their wills. The last thing they did in 07 was make everyone pay for garbage pickup regardless of the size of your operation. Prior to this it was 5 acres or less had to pay. Before that is was city only.

Do you maybe have a better understanding of my position now?
:cboy:[/quote]

It's the same here . They move out here from town so they can " get away from it all "
then they want water , sewer, cable TV ,a road they can drive 75 on ,so when they get behind my combine or tractor they can give me the finger as they go by,just like they were here first . Not to mention up my taxes to build new schools for their kids . Is that what you are talking about FB ?

Larry

Larry, I think I have made it clear here in the past that when I speak of "northerners" I am referring to those that think all cows with horns are bulls, they think a steer can be of either sex, they say Bauuuuuuuuuston, drive their cars once a year to leave NY to head south, trailer their bikes to Daytona and then try to act like a Bad A$$.

They think the only stock market is on Wall Street.
Never heard of bait and movies in the same store.
Don't understand "He needed killin'" is a valid defence down here.
Turn signals, what are they?
They never heard of grits.
They never seen a 10 YO carrying a shotgun.
The eat chicken and Bar-b-que with utensils.
They think gator-tail and frog legs is Ebonics.

:lol2: :tiphat: :wave: :cboy:

Latest posts