new calf drama

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
:shock: 8 year old cow decided to calve in the water and mud. It was 30 degrees and the
calf was submerged in the cold, dirty water . All that was sticking out of the crap was
its head. :mad: We got the calf out of the muck and drug him to the barn on a canvas.
His temp did not register on the thermometer, he was not shivering, mouth was cold.
We dried him off, iodine the navel, wrapped him in an electric blanket and poked
some syrup down him. He did not rally, so we transported him and mom to the vet
clinic. There the hypothermic calf recieved an IV, fluids, shot of long acting antibiotic
( Exceed) blood work and finally got moms colostrum. Calf weighed 86lbs. After a stay of 4 days, the calf was
sent home. He is doing very well and seems to be ok. The bill was $270. ( I thought this was very reasonable) :lol:

It is better to warm a calf up in a tub of warm water than to use an electic blanket. The water is suppose to work faster. Just do not get it so hot that it scalds the calf.

Had one happen the same way, but we put calf in bathtub of warm (100 degree) water. Within 2 hours calf was up walking around took him back out to his mother, she tried to stomp on it, so brought it back in, gave it some milk. Tried next day and she took calf just fine. Think we washed off the scent that first day, as wife used some soap/shampoo on calf to get rid of all the mud it had on it.
Warm water will raise temperature faster than anything I know of.
Never understand why cows wants to calve near water on a cold day.

TheBullLady":3m9ft8wc said:
Just curious.. why are you responding to a post that's almost 3 years old? :roll:

I think you're looking at the date that she joined. The post was started today.

You did well to save a calf born in water and mud. If those first breaths of a new calf happen to inhale a bit of water or mud, there is no saving it.

mnmtranching":fzqfvh05 said:
If those first breaths of a new calf happen to inhale a bit of water or mud, there is no saving it.

I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. Granted - monitoring and timing is key to saving the calf, and if preventative treatement isn't given before full-blown pneumonia sets in, then it's hard to save them. But, when caught early, a little penicillin will go a long ways towards preventing pneumonia in a lot of cases.

Glad you were able to save the calf after all that effort. I know you are supposed to put them in warm water (preferable) but after trying to hoist an 80 lb. calf out of the bathtub, I think I would hesitate to do it again. What a mess!

Victoria":2ah2fwph said:
Msscamp, I think the reference was to drowning not pneumonia. A calf can take up to three days to drown.

Well, in that case all I can say is this - oops. :oops:

Good for you Holly for getting that calf out. The mud and water wouldn't bother me, but in 30 degree weather it would be rough.
Sorry about the vet bill. After all that I hope the calf does well for you.

:lol: the calf is doing well, he will be put on pasture with his mom on sunday. I do not have a tub, that is why he was not taken in the house ( we have a shower). Also, a
muddy 86 lb calf is really hard to drag around! ;-)

That happened to us. Husband didn't like the tub idea. We had to give the calf med cause he got mud in his lungs. He's alive and well and out in the pasture with his mom.

Latest posts