New but not so new

Help Support CattleToday:

thunder downunder

Reaction score
HI All

Newbie here - but not techincally new. Have been reading the boards for awhile.

Anyway, just thought I'd say HI!! :tiphat: :wave: :tiphat: :wave: :tiphat: :wave:

Thunder

Hi Thunder!
What kind of grass do you mainly grow for grazing? How many acres does it take to support one cow where you are located. I realize that it can be different here in the US. Is is pretty much the same there? What kind of cattle do most of the farms raise there?
Chuckie

Chuckie":xzkyn8g2 said:
Hi Thunder!
What kind of grass do you mainly grow for grazing? How many acres does it take to support one cow where you are located. I realize that it can be different here in the US. Is is pretty much the same there? What kind of cattle do most of the farms raise there?
Chuckie

Chuckie
It depends where you are, grasses can vary from one area to the next. Alot of graziers have perennial grasses and fescues, like phalarus and cocksfoot, and a mix of native grasses. Some farmers improve the pastures with lucerne and clover, others just fertilise.
Carrying capacity can range from one cow per acre to one cow per 250 acres. Location and seasonal conditions make a great difference.
The main breeds would be Angus, Shorthorn and Hereford and their crosses for the most part, with alot of Brahman, Droughtmaster and Santa Gertrudis up north. Again location plays a great role. European breeds have become increasingly more popular in recent years as terminal sires, ie Charolais, Simmental, Limousin, etc.

So, I guesss it is much like the US. There are a few grasses there I need to look up. They may be here, and I just don't know about the grass.
I like Brindle cows!!! I used to see them a lot more, but they have disappeared around here. They looked just like a Hereford, and had the stripes. When I was a kid, I thought they looked like something Marling Perkins would try to catch! :banana: I loved the way he would jump in there and his hair would flop.
I didn't know how the climate changes were in Australia
Chuckie

Latest posts