New Bull Prospects

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have a guy offering me a handsome profit on my red angus bull. I have used him for one season and am pretty happy with the calves but have been wishing to turn my calves black. I currently have both red angus and black angus cows with a sprinkling of black baldy cows. In my area black sells .10 pound higher at the feeder calf sales than red. I have been thinking about buying a black bull and buying more red cows while the price is down and I can get them cheaper. Here are some scenarios that I have in mind. I want to crossbreed to get the hybred vigor.

BA Bull on Hereford cows
BA Bull on Limi cows
BA Bull on Gelbvieh cows
Black Limi bull on the above + RA cows.

Thoughts?

If you've already got black and red angus cows, what about a gelbvieh or simmi bull or one of the half-bloods? Either way you go, you have very marketable calves.

cfpinz

I'd look seriously at hereford bulls or cows if you want to get a strong kick of heterosis. Hereford on RA or BA is a great cross and you can keep the f1 females and breed them to a continental bull for a terminal cross. Mike has some pretty good chars that would fit that scenario.

I like the Black Angus bulls on Hereford cows. The steer calves do well at the stockyard and the retained heifers do well in the pasture. You can come back with a black Lim, black Gelb, or a Lim-Flex on the baldie cows and maximize heterosis or you can keep the two breed rotation going.

I think the BA bull on the Hereford cows is the best choice.

I would use a Red Angus or Charolais bull on the Limi and Gelbvieh cows. I know your thinking about getting away from the red. But a BA bull on Limi and Gelbieh cows would give you some of the off color calves buyers shy away from. A Charolais bull on the Red Angus cows would give you some Market topping calves.

I realize things are different up here in N MN. Up here the Char cross calves are bringing top dollar. Right along with the good BA.

If you are buying at the sale barn, you will probably find the Hereford cows to be the cheapest initial investment with the potential for the best return if mated with a good black bull. Plus the Hereford gives you the option of making a few good maternal crosees down the road (black baldie & tiger stripe). Just make sure you do a good evaluation of the Herefords you choose at the sale barn, and get a black bull that will sire "black". Some of the crosses you are considering could still give you a percentage of red.

Latest posts