New Breed - Herdmaster??

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
OK, just read a full page ad for Berger's Herdmaster Bulls. Can you guess what breed this is??
Ad says:
The Business Breed (??) + The Crossbreeding Solution (??) = Your Business Solution (Herdmasters)
This is a new one on me.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":ki9ncsze said:
OK, just read a full page ad for Berger's Herdmaster Bulls. Can you guess what breed this is??
Ad says:
The Business Breed (??) + The Crossbreeding Solution (??) = Your Business Solution (Herdmasters)
This is a new one on me.

Looks like a percentage Angus and Simmenthal to me.

dun

Yes, Dun is absolutely correct. I'm surprise no one else had any comments. I know it's a sale gimic, (selling 140 head+) but why not run with the SimAngus title that ASA is already promoting??? Strange.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":btpq44rs said:
HAHAHAHA cross breeding solution? I bet he will have alot of calving problems with those simmental bulls. Especially on angus cows.

Oh, boy! :roll: Set him straight Jeanne. I would, but my history with simmentals is not nearly as detailed as yours.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2mlvh7i8 said:
What is there to debate? I have seen alot of people use angus bulls on simmental cows and make them some simangus baldies and bred em back to angus bulls and not have any trouble. I used to have a simmental bull many years ago. I got away from that. IM sure they have made improvements on the breed. However I have had a bad experience with them and therefore I try and stay away from them.

Simmenthals have made more progress in more areas then most of the other continenetlas have in any one trait. The CE avg EPD for the breed is 5.6, the Simmenthal associciation claims that an accurate CE EPD of 10 or above is suitable for use on Angus and other british heifers.

dun

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":34o71pdb said:
Im still traumatized from having to pull fetal monsters back in the day if you catch my drift. I just prefer not to use em. 5.6 ce is not to terribly bad. If its a minus thats bad right and a plus is good?

The higher the number the better the calving ease.

dun

Thanks Dun.
Yes, the latest MARC info says that Simmental sires now calve easier than Herefords, and comparable to Angus (within 2%) when used on cows.
This is a pretty blanket statement and refers to breeding cows, but sires with a +10 CE are recommended for all heifers - including all British breed heifers.
SimAngus is getting extremely popular - using Angus on Simm cows AND using Simm on Angus cow. I would venture to guess that there are more ANGUS cows being bred to Simm bulls than the other way around. Big PB Angus farms having been using Sim bulls for quite a while now.
Interest in my Macho bull started out with PB Angus breeders wanting semen.
There are bulls of all breeds that are "cow killers", but you will find a lot fewer in the Simm breed - especially comparing to other Continental breeds. In this day and age of EPD's, very few males with poor CE & BW EPD's get sold as a breeder.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1c0njxf4 said:
What is there to debate? I have seen alot of people use angus bulls on simmental cows and make them some simangus baldies and bred em back to angus bulls and not have any trouble. I used to have a simmental bull many years ago. I got away from that. IM sure they have made improvements on the breed. However I have had a bad experience with them and therefore I try and stay away from them.
- - - -many years ago" is the operative phrase here!

DOC HARRIS

Saw an add the other day for "Golden F1s". Red Angus Charolais.

dun