new born calf wont get up

Help Support CattleToday:

rws

Reaction score
i have posted on here before on this subject but just had a cow have a calf today and the calf just dont have the energy to get up it is fully developed and no bigger than the other calfs about 70-80lb tryes to get up but falls right back down went to the vet got 8 cc bose injection and drenched 1-1/2 quarts colostrum mix and got the calf setting up this is the 2nd time this cows calf done this has anybody had any luck bringing these calves back or is it just time to get rid of this cow. when i posted several months back about this problem people thought mineral defeciancy so i started the cows on a loose mineral program formulated for my area

rws":20tj2p42 said:
i have posted on here before on this subject but just had a cow have a calf today and the calf just dont have the energy to get up it is fully developed and no bigger than the other calfs about 70-80lb tryes to get up but falls right back down went to the vet got 8 cc bose injection and drenched 1-1/2 quarts colostrum mix and got the calf setting up this is the 2nd time this cows calf done this has anybody had any luck bringing these calves back or is it just time to get rid of this cow. when i posted several months back about this problem people thought mineral defeciancy so i started the cows on a loose mineral program formulated for my area

My question is why haven't you culled the cow, I understand trying to save the calf now its here.
Ruthless culling of the herd, and you still will have problems a lot fewer through.

i would think if you got that into him he should start getting more strength, why didn't you use her milk. if this is the second time doing this she would be growing wheels afer she raises this one

Two in a row - sounds like the problem will continue. Been my experience though. Had one that we always had to help the calf get started. She did this 7 years in a row. Kept her because it did not take much to get 'em going and she raised excellent babies. Got rid of her when her udder failed. You need to decide if it is too much work to get 'em going and if the calves are good enough to warrant the extra work. Cull if the answer is no to either question.

this evening i seen the calf standing next to the mother couldnt tell if it had nursed yet and it still looked a little weak what do you mean when you say cull a cow does this mean get rid of the troubled ones and make room for better cows in a herd
thanks

I have seen something similar to this before. My neighbor had a tall gangly brangus bull that he thought the world of.....until he started getting calves from him. The problem was the calves legs were so long they just were not strong enough to stand and get around on their own for a few days. A few days of holding the calves up twice a day for them to nurse and he sold the bull. ;-) :cboy:

Latest posts