New Addition

Help Support CattleToday:

Pnw Farmer

Reaction score
She's finally out of FFL jail. Gotta love what King County gets passed. Rock Island Armory 1911 FDE in 10mm. Excuse was someday something big is going to be reintroduced to the Blues and I'll be ready for it, wife was less than impressed with that reasoning. Plus I really thought somebody would of outbid me, retail was a fair amount over the opening bid on Gunbroker. When the electronic hammer dropped I just thought to myself, "ah crap". Lol.

Farmer

Attachments

• Resized_20230211_181105.jpeg
    Resized_20230211_181105.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 12
Nice piece. I recently bought a Glock in 10mm and really like it. It is good power with not a lot of kick. You can really put some heat downrange accurately and quickly.

Last edited:
Nice piece. I recently bought a Glock in 10mm and really like it. It is good power with not a lot of kick. You can really put some heat downrange accurately and quickly.
I know the Glocks have a stellar reputation for reliability. They're kind of like the AK's of the pistol world, mud, sand, dropped, knocked around and they'll still go bang. When I bought my first pistol about 15 years ago the Glocks at that time had no safeties on them and I just couldn't be sure of myself at 21 to trust only my finger as the safety. I think they've started integrating trigger safeties in them now but I never have looked closely at them.
I like the Rock Island in 10mm. Really like the price. You should be.pleased with it.
I sort of fell into this RIA, I happened to be in a LGS to see if they had any of the $200 Hi Point 10mm pistols that just came out. I know they've got a face only a mother could love but curiosity had me. They didn't have any of them but had one of these RIA's on the shelf so I looked it over and liked the feel so the search was on. It's not a Wilson, Kimber, or Wesson but as long as it goes boom and shoots straight then I'm sold.

I know the Glocks have a stellar reputation for reliability. They're kind of like the AK's of the pistol world, mud, sand, dropped, knocked around and they'll still go bang. When I bought my first pistol about 15 years ago the Glocks at that time had no safeties on them and I just couldn't be sure of myself at 21 to trust only my finger as the safety. I think they've started integrating trigger safeties in them now but I never have looked closely at them.

I sort of fell into this RIA, I happened to be in a LGS to see if they had any of the $200 Hi Point 10mm pistols that just came out. I know they've got a face only a mother could love but curiosity had me. They didn't have any of them but had one of these RIA's on the shelf so I looked it over and liked the feel so the search was on. It's not a Wilson, Kimber, or Wesson but as long as it goes boom and shoots straight then I'm sold.
I owned a Kimber 10mm. Wasn't impressed. Had to polish the slide to get it to work correctly.

I owned a Kimber 10mm. Wasn't impressed. Had to polish the slide to get it to work correctly.
Glad I didn't go with the Kimber, there was one at a reasonable price but I couldn't bring myself to quite pay that much. I know everybody gets a dud once in awhile though, Kimber has a decent reputation for sure.

Got to put some rounds through it today, S&B 180gr range ammo and original Winchester white box 175gr Silvertips. S&B was flat nose FMJ and Silvertips were HP. Ran about 30 rounds, ate it all with no issues and proper empty lock back each time. Winchester definitely has more snort, felt recoil and the brass was thrown another 5 ft further away. So long as nothing weird happens I think I'm going to enjoy this one. No rest, 2 hand grip I was about 4" at around 20 ft.

Old Kimber good, new Kimber bad. I have a Kimber Custom from the oooold days and it's my most dangerous handgun, but it was a special gift so I don't carry it except for sometimes while hunting. I carry a CZ P-07 with the Milcarbo trigger and spring kit in it most days. I carry a .357 magnum single action when hunting, usually.

Let us know how it shoots, please, I've been thinking about swapping over to an RIA 1911 for a daily carry.

Let us know how it shoots, please, I've been thinking about swapping over to an RIA 1911 for a daily carry.
I was shooting about 4" groups at 20 ft, no rest 2 hand grip. I wasn't really shooting for accuracy, just wanted to test for function and everything functioned as it should. Lock back on empty every time, no FTF or FTE with 2 different bullet types. Grips are aggressive, some people complained about them in the reviews I read but I really like them. It's like the pistol is velcrowed to my palm. Winchester Silvertips were snappy but zero slip with the factory grips. I may look at a slim pair just to get a better wrap as my hands are on the smaller side but I think that'd only be needed if I went to some hot DT, BB or Underwood loads. Only shot around 30 rounds but it felt good for all of them.

I was shooting about 4" groups at 20 ft, no rest 2 hand grip. I wasn't really shooting for accuracy, just wanted to test for function and everything functioned as it should. Lock back on empty every time, no FTF or FTE with 2 different bullet types. Grips are aggressive, some people complained about them in the reviews I read but I really like them. It's like the pistol is velcrowed to my palm. Winchester Silvertips were snappy but zero slip with the factory grips. I may look at a slim pair just to get a better wrap as my hands are on the smaller side but I think that'd only be needed if I went to some hot DT, BB or Underwood loads. Only shot around 30 rounds but it felt good for all of them.
I'm throwing a set of Altama grips on whatever I get because I'm insufferable.

How smooth is it from the factory? I don't mind having to sit down and remove a few machining burrs and smooth stuff out but less work is always better. I ask because when I worked for a gun store and range the RIAs always ran good for our customers but felt a little rough, never shot one myself. Keep in mind, this was some years ago so I don't know how they are now.

Old Kimber good, new Kimber bad. I have a Kimber Custom from the oooold days and it's my most dangerous handgun, but it was a special gift so I don't carry it except for sometimes while hunting. I carry a CZ P-07 with the Milcarbo trigger and spring kit in it most days. I carry a .357 magnum single action when hunting, usually.
We've all got those sentimental firearms. I've got a few that aren't worth much to anybody goin' on book value but I wouldn't trade for anything. One Christmas my parents didn't have enough for gifts besides a couple stocking stuffers so I got the choice of the 3 rifles dad had at the time. I picked the .264 Win Mag because that was his favorite. First shotgun I got was from my grandpa, don't know how much he'd shot it but it looked new. Both of them are safe queens now.

We've all got those sentimental firearms. I've got a few that aren't worth much to anybody goin' on book value but I wouldn't trade for anything. One Christmas my parents didn't have enough for gifts besides a couple stocking stuffers so I got the choice of the 3 rifles dad had at the time. I picked the .264 Win Mag because that was his favorite. First shotgun I got was from my grandpa, don't know how much he'd shot it but it looked new. Both of them are safe queens now.
I could get sentimental about a military issue 45 if someone gave me one. I don't need one, wouldn't buy one, but would love to own one.

I'm throwing a set of Altama grips on whatever I get because I'm insufferable.

How smooth is it from the factory? I don't mind having to sit down and remove a few machining burrs and smooth stuff out but less work is always better. I ask because when I worked for a gun store and range the RIAs always ran good for our customers but felt a little rough, never shot one myself. Keep in mind, this was some years ago so I don't know how they are now.
There's one very slight hitch when moving the slide back into battery that I've only noticed when running the slide slowly, don't notice it when cycling fast. It seems to be smoothing out just with the 30 I put through it. Feed ramp appears polished, not check your hair in the mirror shined but looks and feels very smooth. I noticed in the ejection port there's a tiny notch from machining, purely cosmetic. The finish on both the frame and slide match perfectly. There's maybe an 1/8" of take-up in the trigger, maybe 2 stage? I didn't see it being advertised as such though. The trigger isn't bad, once past the take-up it's nearly instant bang. I've got an XDM with the match trigger in it that spoiled me to other factory pistol triggers. It's definitely better than the Ruger SR40 trigger, that thing is like waiting for the jack in the box to jump out at you with sand added to the handle. Adjustable rear with fiber optic front sight. For $635 all said and done I'm happy so far.

I have several. I'll tell you a story. My grandfather hunted for around half of his life or so with an Interarms Mk 10 in .270 Winchester, Mauser action. I grew up idolizing that gun. Well, I knew the end was coming for him so I bought myself one in .300 Win Mag that I saw at a gun store because I knew I'd inherit his and wanted to have another to pass down with it one day (two kids so far, gonna make a third soon, gonna need a third Interarms). I always thought I'd hunt and shoot with this rifle a ton after he passed, but it's just sitting there. So I gave it a job. All the things he never got to hunt that we always wanted to hunt together or that he wished he could have, I'll be trying to take with this rifle. He always said for various animals that "one day when you grow up and get rich and famous we'll go shoot us some"

He passed away before I could get rich or famous, so this'll have to do.

I could get sentimental about a military issue 45 if someone gave me one. I don't need one, wouldn't buy one, but would love to own one.
A neighbor put one in my possession for awhile to see what I could find on it and a fair value to buy it from him. It was a mutt but a semi rare mutt. It had the Union Switch & Signal slide with a Remington Rand 3rd series, I think it was, frame, and the hammer didn't show up in any research I did. I made an offer that a lot of boards showed to be fair but he was convinced the slide made it worth more. It might be worth more now but at that time when they were a mix and match sidearm they didn't carry nearly as much value as a complete specimen from one manufacturer.

I have several. I'll tell you a story. My grandfather hunted for around half of his life or so with an Interarms Mk 10 in .270 Winchester, Mauser action. I grew up idolizing that gun. Well, I knew the end was coming for him so I bought myself one in .300 Win Mag that I saw at a gun store because I knew I'd inherit his and wanted to have another to pass down with it one day (two kids so far, gonna make a third soon, gonna need a third Interarms). I always thought I'd hunt and shoot with this rifle a ton after he passed, but it's just sitting there. So I gave it a job. All the things he never got to hunt that we always wanted to hunt together or that he wished he could have, I'll be trying to take with this rifle. He always said for various animals that "one day when you grow up and get rich and famous we'll go shoot us some"

He passed away before I could get rich or famous, so this'll have to do.
He'll be right there with you when you pull the trigger each time as well. Much respect sir, much respect.

Latest posts