Never Ever

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
The pink slime thread made me think about how easily the public is swayed by myths and social media and how the public's perception of how we do business in the future. One of the new marketing tools in the meat industry is the "never ever" label on meat. For years the chicken industry has been accused of feeding their chickens a constant supply of antibiotics to keep them alive. Though this practice was purely mythical this myth was repeated enough that the average person has accepted it as truth so savvy chicken marketers have capitalized on this by advertising their products as antibiotic free as if they are giving the public something extra.

This marketing has now morphed into the new "Never Ever" marketing where they claim their chicken has never ever had antibiotics which gives the consumer a warm fuzzy feeling because the consumer knows antibiotics are bad. This "never ever" poultry marketing has now gained a foothold in the pork industry and demands for "never ever" pork products are rising. If they can do it in these industries then its only reasonable for the public to assume that we can do the same in the beef industry. With this belief I don't think it far fetched for some politician to bend to public pressure and make it mandatory for all meat to be "never ever meat".

Though I don't think the public is this retarded yet, I have little doubt the public's ignorance will eventually demand this from the beef industry so how will we address it? Education would seem to be the simplest solution but with social media, fake news and agenda driven journalism and producers all to willing to exploit a gimmick for an extra dollar this may prove impossible. So how are we going to deal with this? Will we be forced to kill every animal that needs medicating or do we just let the animal suffer unmedicated and hope for the best?

Its like watching a train go off a cliff. Watching it is going to be interesting to say the least.

Kind of like a slinky,starts out pretty slow and just gains momentum

I disagree. Put what it is on the label and let people educate themselves. If they choose not to so be it.
We expect to know what country our food comes from. What's wrong with knowing how it's processed..

My ground beef is processed by cupcake.
So I really don't worry to much about it.

Edit to add. She had been given antibiotics.
I gave em to her. If you eat with us I'll be glad to let you know.

Even California rejected costly labeling laws that do nothing but add cost to farmers and consumers. Beef from Canada and the US is the same, GMO and non-gmo corn is the same, no need to waste a lot of money on it. The labeling itself is not the cost, it is the animal/crop segregation and maintenance of separate facilities in the entire supply chain that is stupid cost for nothing.

Douglas":1re1j32w said:
Even California rejected costly labeling laws that do nothing but add cost to farmers and consumers. Beef from Canada and the US is the same, GMO and non-gmo corn is the same, no need to waste a lot of money on it. The labeling itself is not the cost, it is the animal/crop segregation and maintenance of separate facilities in the entire supply chain that is stupid cost for nothing.

Think of how much they could save if the just packed everything in five gallon buckets and wrote MEAT on it with a sharpie.

There's already a lot of cattle sold that have never had an antibiotic. They are referred to as All Natural cattle and bring a few cent premium. All of the cattle are treated like any other pen of cattle, you just have to keep anything that ever needs an antibiotic off and send them somewhere else.

This discussion is tied to " pink slime" or the "lean finely textured beef" if you prefer.
Bottom line it's connective tissue that is blasted off the bone and through centrifugal force the fat is removed. They then take the procduct and form it inti little sticks that can be ground into hamburger to cheapen up the product.
No different than cutting it with fat.
They use a by/waste product to cheapen it up. The
I personally don't like ground beef that feels like I'm chewing gristle or ground up rubber bands.

When I shop for beef I don't go to Walmart or whoever to buy meat.
I shop at United supermarkets, Country Mart and etc that voluntarily labels their product with source of origin.
As a consumer that my choice.

I think we have the rules and regulations in place to ensure there aren't any antibiotic residues in meat.
But if a consumer chooses " never ever" meat. We have suppliers to fill ygat niche market, but to make it illegal to treat a sick animal just to appease people that aren't well informed doesn't make good sense.
It's no different than demanding a country of origin label.
If there is a market for domestic raised meat, antibiotic free, hormone free or whatever then label it as such.
Let the consumer decide.
No label means imported meat.
If the consumer decides to buy the cheapest product on the shelf that was raised and processed in a foreign country or has had antibiotics then let them choose.

But that's just me

callmefence":3d1vfdo9 said:
Douglas":3d1vfdo9 said:

Think of how much they could save if the just packed everything in five gallon buckets and wrote MEAT on it with a sharpie.
Like the big trucks you see going down the highway with just a little sign by the back door that says only:
FISH.
What's up with that anyway?

And those soy burgers, (nasty little critters) were never ever meat...

Most of my animals would qualify for "never ever"... it doesn't mean I don't treat what needs treating, I've just found very little need for it.. My bottle (unopened) of Trivetrin expired in 2012.. I did need it on a calf with navel ill this year.

I don't have a problem with this or that label, as long as it's truthful, and "organic" has strayed FAR from it's original goal and is pretty much a lie now..

Nesikep":1tv65xw6 said:
Most of my animals would qualify for "never ever"... it doesn't mean I don't treat what needs treating, I've just found very little need for it.. My bottle (unopened) of Trivetrin expired in 2012.. I did need it on a calf with navel ill this year.

I don't have a problem with this or that label, as long as it's truthful, and "organic" has strayed FAR from it's original goal and is pretty much a lie now..

And I'm sure you don't expect this will be any different. Just more BS.

I run a closed herd and can truthfully say all of my animals would qualify for this also and I'm sure the majority of all the beef sold in the country would also qualify so to begin advertising this as some special beef raised in some new progressive manner is like admitting to a crime you never committed and gives credence to the false claims from people like Chipotle who refuses to buy Texas beef because its raised inhumanely.

I had an uncle who was ahead of his time when it came to "organic and natural foods". In the '60's he was peddling all sorts of organic products making grandiose claims on how his products were so much more healthy for you. He was a nutcase but he made a good lick off selling that fuzzy feeling. However, in the '60's the public was more knowledgeable of agriculture than they are today and it didn't take long before his scheme was unveiled and he almost ended up in prison. Today, he would probably be viewed as a hero in many circles because the vast majority of the public is clueless and have no idea how their food is produced or what a great job most of us do in producing it. Its like I was told at a meeting, "we will only be selling a feeling and that feeling has a lot of value to add to your product even if that product is no different than the other."

Friday morning after suffering insomnia I turned front line on the PBS channel. They were talking about the vitamins, fish oil and herbal remedies that are sold and not regulated. Some of the pills had only starch in them and none of the other ingredients as stated on the label. Also was a lot of discussion about the claimed health improvements the supplements would do for you. I can remember the magazines in my early years with sports stars on the back cover praising the benefits and healthy results that occurred for them smoking Lucky Strike Cigarettes.

Unfortunately, it's true, everything that gets certified of some kind or another will become a self serving institution and lose it's core values.

Hurley, The health benefit of me smoking is realized by other people.. I can stop, have a smoke, and resist the urge to rip their heads off.... Long weekend here and I had to go to the big city, car behind camper behind motorhome, all going 40 mph in a 60 zone, on the binders on every corner, and floor it on any straightaway you could possibly pass them on..

Jogeephus":35fhgiso said:
The pink slime thread made me think about how easily the public is swayed by myths and social media and how the public's perception of how we do business in the future. One of the new marketing tools in the meat industry is the "never ever" label on meat. For years the chicken industry has been accused of feeding their chickens a constant supply of antibiotics to keep them alive. Though this practice was purely mythical this myth was repeated enough that the average person has accepted it as truth so savvy chicken marketers have capitalized on this by advertising their products as antibiotic free as if they are giving the public something extra.

This marketing has now morphed into the new "Never Ever" marketing where they claim their chicken has never ever had antibiotics which gives the consumer a warm fuzzy feeling because the consumer knows antibiotics are bad. This "never ever" poultry marketing has now gained a foothold in the pork industry and demands for "never ever" pork products are rising. If they can do it in these industries then its only reasonable for the public to assume that we can do the same in the beef industry. With this belief I don't think it far fetched for some politician to bend to public pressure and make it mandatory for all meat to be "never ever meat".

Though I don't think the public is this retarded yet, I have little doubt the public's ignorance will eventually demand this from the beef industry so how will we address it? Education would seem to be the simplest solution but with social media, fake news and agenda driven journalism and producers all to willing to exploit a gimmick for an extra dollar this may prove impossible. So how are we going to deal with this? Will we be forced to kill every animal that needs medicating or do we just let the animal suffer unmedicated and hope for the best?

Its like watching a train go off a cliff. Watching it is going to be interesting to say the least.

If jo intended the irony, this was a brilliant post.

A perfect example of fake news and how it works. Some truth at first, then a spin into the twilight zone.
You could take this stance with cool, cab, fresh gulf seafood. Just a marketing angle. The cliff is fake

callmefence":huaynb4u said:
Jogeephus":huaynb4u said:

A perfect example of fake news and how it works. Some truth at first, then a spin into the twilight zone.
You could take this stance with cool, cab, fresh gulf seafood. Just a marketing angle. The cliff is fake
Is Heinz ketchup fake? Is French's mustard fake? Is Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap fake? Everything is not fake.

ga.prime":2bpdpyfr said:
callmefence":2bpdpyfr said:
Jogeephus":2bpdpyfr said:

Is Heinz ketchup fake? Is French's mustard fake? Is Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap fake? Everything is not fake.

Exactly

Latest posts