Nevada Ranchers and BLM

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
The BLM because of drought conditions and not enough forage to support the ranchers herds have asked the ranchers to reduce their herd by 20%. Ranchers are demonstrating at the State Capitol. I had to reduce my herd by 80% in 2011 because of the drought. Maybe these ranchers need to learn the hard facts of life when running cattle when the weather does not cooperate.

http://news.yahoo.com/nevada-ranchers-s ... AAUK3QtDMD

10-4,you have to do what you have to do. My father had to sell all his cattle, but 2(we couldn't catch), in the 60's due to drought. From what I have read , grass is much more
sensitive to grazing out west than in Ms. He had his pasture well fertilized, and 1 month later he had plenty of grass,when it began to rain.

hurleyjd":31utwprd said:
The BLM because of drought conditions and not enough forage to support the ranchers herds have asked the ranchers to reduce their herd by 20%. Ranchers are demonstrating at the State Capitol. I had to reduce my herd by 80% in 2011 because of the drought. Maybe these ranchers need to learn the hard facts of life when running cattle when the weather does not cooperate.

How much of your land did you designate a turtle, wild horse, or burro sanctuary/protected habitat area prior to making that 80% reduction?
(not a rhetorical question)

greybeard":2yagntf9 said:
hurleyjd":2yagntf9 said:

How much of your land did you designate a turtle, wild horse, or burro sanctuary/protected habitat area prior to making that 80% reduction?

No I did not designate any land to any thing but I do have a deed for each piece of property that I own. But there are a lot of things that used to be but are not here now. One is the quail, two the bumble bee, and the common box turtle that was here in great numbers. The sand streaker lizard. Also the toad frog, haven't seen one in years. Some things we have in the area that was not here before deer, hogs, coyote, alligator, black vulture. Now before we go any further I am in Wood county.

I bet that those Nevada ranchers under stand range conditions much better than you do. The thing is that although they have been in a drought they did get timely spring rains that caused the cheat grass to grow real well. It is knee high. Cheat grass will make cattle fat until it heads out and then cattle wont touch it. And after it dries out it will burn like gasoline. It is also an invasive species so allowing it to go to seed is bad for the native species. There are a lot of reasons to graze this stuff down. Some of the BLM districts are allowing ranchers to graze. One district manager is bowed up and not allowing ranchers to do anything. That is what they are protesting.
Oh, and they might not have a title to the land but they do hold a title to the grazing rights which they own.

hurleyjd":2qmhb52j said:

I agree I sold off 70% of mine, some mighty fine cattle went to Jack in the Box.
Didn't have anyone here bailing me out.

Dave":zvcryux6 said:
I bet that those Nevada ranchers under stand range conditions much better than you do. The thing is that although they have been in a drought they did get timely spring rains that caused the cheat grass to grow real well. It is knee high. Cheat grass will make cattle fat until it heads out and then cattle wont touch it. And after it dries out it will burn like gasoline. It is also an invasive species so allowing it to go to seed is bad for the native species. There are a lot of reasons to graze this stuff down. Some of the BLM districts are allowing ranchers to graze. One district manager is bowed up and not allowing ranchers to do anything. That is what they are protesting.
Oh, and they might not have a title to the land but they do hold a title to the grazing rights which they own.

Be careful Dave you don't want to dazzle anyone with all those pesky facts.

Those of you who do not operate at the whim of some dumbass forest service or blm manager who doesn't know a cow from a buick cannot fully appreciate what we deal with out west. YOU get to make the decision as to sell or not sell and you have time to make it. When you are told at the 11th hour you have no grass this year it changes everything in a heartbeat. One thing to remember is that grazing permits are in essence real property. You do not own the land but you do own the permit and in some cases if you buy the permit you are required to purchase the cows that were on it. That's a real hefty investment to see go down the drain at the whim of an idiot bureaucrat pencil pusher.

It's different country and different rules.

hurleyjd":1ra5yymf said:
greybeard":1ra5yymf said:
hurleyjd":1ra5yymf said:

No I did not designate any land to any thing but I do have a deed for each piece of property that I own. But there are a lot of things that used to be but are not here now. One is the quail, two the bumble bee, and the common box turtle that was here in great numbers. The sand streaker lizard. Also the toad frog, haven't seen one in years. Some things we have in the area that was not here before deer, hogs, coyote, alligator, black vulture. Now before we go any further I am in Wood county.

What is this quail you speak of ? The horned toad I haven't seen one in years, kept one in my pocket
when I was a kid. Land terrapins becoming pretty rare here. Turkeys are gone.
Timber companies land management practices have taken out most of the native species.

3waycross":13hriu9e said:
Be careful Dave you don't want to dazzle anyone with all those pesky facts.

Those of you who do not operate at the whim of some dumbass forest service or blm manager who doesn't know a cow from a buick cannot fully appreciate what we deal with out west. YOU get to make the decision as to sell or not sell and you have time to make it. When you are told at the 11th hour you have no grass this year it changes everything in a heartbeat. One thing to remember is that grazing permits are in essence real property. You do not own the land but you do own the permit and in some cases if you buy the permit you are required to purchase the cows that were on it. That's a real hefty investment to see go down the drain at the whim of an idiot bureaucrat pencil pusher.

It's different country and different rules.

3way I know what you're saying but I be dam if I would live where I had to operate under those conditions. Wonder what effect his drought will have on the "weed" growers??

I am a former Nevadan and this crap has been going on for years. BLM is the problem. Any Cattleman or woman is smart enough to know when they are out of grass or water for their livestock. There is an underlying problem that this Administration is hiding from us.

hurleyjd":1l4ap46t said:
http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/grazing.html

I found this website and after reading it i believe the BLM is not out to get you. You may not agree with me but that is your right. Looks like the leases are on a ten year time frame. Just read it and decide for your self

Don't kid yourself the BLM IS out to get us all and your Muslim savior is at the root of all of it. They want to control every aspect of our lives and this is just another method of doing it.

and BTW owned grazing permits in this part of the country are in perpetuity. They are real property just like water rights are real property.

BLM and the forest service used to be on our side and the park service were the anti-ranching/human activity group but there has been a major shift to the left for all three groups. None of them are in support of people anymore. The forest service has gone ahead with plans to close around two million acres of ranch and recreational land off to human activity starting later this month... I'm convinced that they did the big land grab HERE because they knew opposition would be limited to people like ME that don't fit in with popular society in CA. Once precedence is set it's coming to a state near you.

TexasBred":syze0qhy said:
3way I know what you're saying but I be dam if I would live where I had to operate under those conditions. Wonder what effect his drought will have on the "weed" growers??
For some guys(not me) it's the only way to own cows. If I trusted the government at all that's how I would operate.
Here in CA the drought is killing weed right alongside of everything else. They find it by flying a helicopter over anything green in the foothills as it's planted around natural springs and this year most springs have failed and ranchers are checking the ones that are still flowing CONSTANTLY... Not much room for a water intensive plant.

This crap is all around us all. Forest Service is still a good neighbor in my area. Mainly because it is still staffed by local people. Mostly it has become over ran by the greenie type tree hugger. Any thing under the Department of interior hate ag. They don't want loggers farmers or ranchers any where. USFW is about try and close 700 miles of rivers here in Arkansas. There drainages cover 42 percent of the state. They not only want to control public land the want to control Private land. I am in one hell of a spot.

I might be wrong but most states are fence out states, in a lot of the Nevada cases the ranchers own a lot of the land and also the land where the water is. If the federal gov doesn't want cattle one their ground they need to start fencing.

Latest posts