neutering

Help Support CattleToday:

ruffles

Reaction score
Okay this the lady with the bull calf that had scours and ill knee. Question being what is the appropriate age to neuter this fellow?
What is this rubber ring thing? Help :oops:

ruffles":3bvt1mb2 said:
Okay this the lady with the bull calf that had scours and ill knee. Question being what is the appropriate age to neuter this fellow?

Any time is the right time. How big is this animal - under 250 pounds?

You can go to your local feed store and buy those castrating rings. Tell the person there you also need the .... what is it called???

I just tell them I need the tool to put de-nutting rings on a bull calf. S/he will know what you mean.

It looks like a pair of pliers with 4 little fingers on the business end.

You slide the ring over the fingers - squeeze the handle and the fingers will spread the ring open.

Restrain the calf - on his back or side is best for me - you may need a little help - they do tend to resist. Be sure you point the fingers at the body of the calf - it will allow the ring to roll off when you relax your squeeze on the handle. If I am not clear, you will immediately know what I am attempting to say when you try to remove the pliers from the animal after you have relaxed your grip.

I know this sounds crazy - but when you grab the scrotum be sure you have 2 - repeat 2 - testicles inside the scrotum and on the business side of the de-nutting ring. Many times people do not do this and you end up catching only one testicle - and you now have an animal that we call a stag - a one nutter that can breed cows.

Leave a little slack in the scrotum - in other words when you place the ring over the testicles do not draw the ring right up tight to the abdomen - for us this seems to allow an easier "heal" as the testicles die and drop off.

This might also be a good time to throw some 7 or 8 Way into your calf if you want - provided he is old enough. Booster him within 2 weeks and you will be good to go for a while.

Good luck, have fun and do not be embarassed to "chat" with the feed store lady / gent about this. Be quite specific in your questions. If they are knowledgeable, they can be a wealth of info.

And you do not have to use the "oops" emoticon - we are all in this and most of us are quite comfortable about discussing these issues - even my daughters - 16 and 19 are old hands. I also think it keeps their boyfriends in line. :D

If he is bigger there are other ways to do this - cut them out or pinch them. You sound fairly inexperienced - no prob - have him tied up good and have a vet or a local farm type help you. Even nutting with rings for the first time - call in a neighbour. Feed him lunch and a coffee and the job is done for free. Takes 5 minutes if you are explaining evey move. 30 seconds if you are on an assembly line.

That is what I charge my neighbours. :D

Have fun. Take care.

Bez?

ruffles":2xx2s7i6 said:

Actually it's called castrating, and it can be done at any time from newborn to a year (or older) of age. I would recommend you do it sometime between newborn and a month or so of age because of the reduced stress on the calf. The 'rubber ring thing' is called banding. You will need a special tool (bander) with 3-4 prongs that are touching each other when the tool is closed, the rubber ring fits over those 3-4 prongs then - when the handles are squeezed together, the prongs separate and widen the rubber ring. The calf is palpated to ensure that both testicles are in the scrotum, which is then placed within the rubber ring, the handles are released, the rubber ring is left on the scrotum above both testicles, and the blood supply is cut off causing the scrotum and the testicles within to wither, die, and fall off. The alternative to this procedure is to knife cut, whereby the end of the scrotum is cut off, the testicles are expressed and removed (along with a good portion of the cord) by scraping the knife back and forth until they are severed.

msscamp":bw8bg8si said:
ruffles":bw8bg8si said:

Actually it's called castrating, and it can be done at any time from newborn to a year (or older) of age. I would recommend you do it sometime between newborn and a month or so of age because of the reduced stress on the calf. The 'rubber ring thing' is called banding. You will need a special tool (bander) with 3-4 prongs that are touching each other when the tool is closed, the rubber ring fits over those 3-4 prongs then - when the handles are squeezed together, the prongs separate and widen the rubber ring. The calf is palpated to ensure that both testicles are in the scrotum, which is then placed within the rubber ring, the handles are released, the rubber ring is left on the scrotum above both testicles, and the blood supply is cut off causing the scrotum and the testicles within to wither, die, and fall off. The alternative to this procedure is to knife cut, whereby the end of the scrotum is cut off, the testicles are expressed and removed (along with a good portion of the cord) by scraping the knife back and forth until they are severed.

I like your explanation better than mine - better use of technical terms - gonna' have to brush up on my bedside manner! 8)

When we cut we use that plier thingy - emasculator - to squeeze the cord - then I cut it clean - little to no bleeding. For the real small guys I just pull the whole thing out - cord and all.

Hey! We make a decent team!

Take care.

Bez?

Bez?":306fyffi said:
msscamp":306fyffi said:
ruffles":306fyffi said:

I like your explanation better than mine - better use of technical terms - gonna' have to brush up on my bedside manner! 8)

Surely you jest!?!? The 'tool to put de-nutting rings on a bull calf'?!?!?! :eek: :eek: I appreciate your up-front and direct approach, but you've got to be kidding on this one! I would love to see the expression on the salesgirls in response to this one! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

When we cut we use that plier thingy - emasculator - to squeeze the cord - then I cut it clean - little to no bleeding. For the real small guys I just pull the whole thing out - cord and all.

'Plier thingy'? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Yeah, we do! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take care.

You, too. :)

Bez?

The tool is called an elastorator. It's not a cheerios dispenser

dun

The brand I use is called a Castraringer, and I reckon they all work about the same. :)

mnmt

msscamp":1jqmdjoi said:
Bez?":1jqmdjoi said:
msscamp":1jqmdjoi said:
ruffles":1jqmdjoi said:

Surely you jest!?!? The 'tool to put de-nutting rings on a bull calf'?!?!?! :eek: :eek: I appreciate your up-front and direct approach, but you've got to be kidding on this one! I would love to see the expression on the salesgirls in response to this one! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Take care.

Bez?

OK mss smartypants,

I ask you - if you were a brand new person - and you knew nothing about what you really wanted to do - other than you did know you needed to castrate that young bull - would you have at least understood what I said? 8)

I actually do talk like this and yes, the folks at the local supply store do get a chuckle. But they never have a prob - seems my simplification of matters makes it easy for them to understand me.

Tested it out today. Asked a long in the tooth employee if he had an "elastorator" as I had lost mine. I got a blank stare.

I asked him for "the tool to put de-nutting rings on a bull calf" and he brightened right up. Showed me a couple of different brands.

Perhaps I am just living in a slow part of the world. 8)

I just love to play with words I suppose - as long as folks understand, I figure I am relatively successful.

Life is good - stay well.

My best,

Bez?

Bez?":25zjg6qv said:
msscamp":25zjg6qv said:
Bez?":25zjg6qv said:
msscamp":25zjg6qv said:
ruffles":25zjg6qv said:

Take care.

Bez?

OK mss smartypants,

I ask you - if you were a brand new person - and you knew nothing about what you really wanted to do - other than you did know you needed to castrate that young bull - would you have at least understood what I said? 8)

mss smartypants? Moi? :eek: I'm wounded to the quick! Ok, ok, you win! :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually do talk like this and yes, the folks at the local supply store do get a chuckle. But they never have a prob - seems my simplification of matters makes it easy for them to understand me.

I don't have a single doubt about all of the above statements being true.

Tested it out today. Asked a long in the tooth employee if he had an "elastorator" as I had lost mine. I got a blank stare.

I asked him for "the tool to put de-nutting rings on a bull calf" and he brightened right up. Showed me a couple of different brands.

Perhaps I am just living in a slow part of the world. 8)

Possible, but I doubt it.

I just love to play with words I suppose - as long as folks understand, I figure I am relatively successful.

I think you're correct - and words are fun to play with! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Life is good - stay well.

I'm glad, and you too. :)

My best,

Bez?