Netflix streaming - who does it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I am going to get rid of the DISH network buffoons. Too much money and all the stuff on cable is crap now. The only thing I really like to watch is old movies on TCM. I have been looking at netflix, streaming. Looks a lot cheaper and I can watch episodes of my fave tv shows and all my old movies.

Like everything else, the ads look good, but I was wondering if anyone who does this has experienced any drawbacks or unexpected problems and now it works exactly. I'm techo challanged, but I think we all know that here... :oops:

Help a sister out.

Its an awesome deal. I think its $7 / month for streaming only. Just make sure you have a fast internet connection or the video will buffer all the time. Check and see what speed your internet package is from your provider. A minimum of 3 Mbps download speed would work fine with Netflix. Also, make sure your package is for unlimited usage. Most satellite, and cellular internet connections have monthly download limits.

Thanks. I upgraded the internet speed recently. I guess I'll have to call (and I really hate those guys) ATT and check on the downloads.

I use it a lot. The only problem for me is the lack of movies I am interested in on the streaming only side of netflix. I use it through an Nintendo WII video game system so I watch them on the TV not the Computer. There are a lot of older movies, ones that would be on TCM, just dont expect new releases to show up with the streaming.

I just can't see paying money for shows like Jersey Shore, Teen Mom and Bad Girls Club... Where do these people come from?

I love Netflix, although I don't use the streaming much for the reason already stated they don't have as good of a selection to stream while they have almost everything you could ask for in DVD's. We pay $15 a month for 2 DVD's at a time ( in my case blue ray). When I send back a DVD they get it the next day, send my next choice out that day and I have it the following, so it's a very quick turn around time. Myself, I have about 40 movies that I have chosen and have on my list, they send out the top choice that is in stock, so if my first and second choice isn't in stock I'll get my third. Most of the time it's only the new releases that are backed up and I have to wait a little while for.

I do stream through our TV using a box my wife bought from Netflix, we have DSL through the phone company and it has always worked well. What I really like about streaming is when our granddaughters are visiting they get up early because they here grandpa up. I let them surf the netflix children's movies and cartoons while I make hot chocolate and waffles then we all watch some cartoon fish named Nemo :oops: .

Alan

The only problem with Netflix is they are trying to get rid of shipping discs. They're trying to go streaming for everything. That would be fine if: 1) I had internet at home and 2) If more than about 10% of the movies I like to watch were available as streaming. Currently about 90% of the movies in my list are disc only.

brandonm_13":3nsu5zk1 said:
The only problem with Netflix is they are trying to get rid of shipping discs. They're trying to go streaming for everything. That would be fine if: 1) I had internet at home and 2) If more than about 10% of the movies I like to watch were available as streaming. Currently about 90% of the movies in my list are disc only.

One would hope when they do go to streaming only, they would add most of the newer movies. I would expect their price to go up to compensate for the added movies.

Lammie":34m6xs54 said:
Thanks. I upgraded the internet speed recently. I guess I'll have to call (and I really hate those guys) ATT and check on the downloads.

I thought it was just us! My husband says there are no more real people w/AT&T, that they're all really robots. It is one pitiful excuse of a service company!

brandonm_13":3k4xb71j said:

I would love to any proof of this claim, it's just too hard to believe at this point ..... Maybe a few years down the road. You're two reasons for why "that would be fine if" is reason enough to think it can't be true. Plus I'll throw in trying to stream blue ray, not going to happen at this point. Please show me proof of your statement.

Alan

I think they will eventually go all streaming- but if they do all I have to do is quit paying monthly- theres no long term contract to worry about.

Lammie,

Use this site to check your speed: http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ . I have a 1.5 meg dsl connection and it works fine, but from what I have read this is the minimum. If you are over 1.5 meg streaming Netflix should work fine. But like others have said, their streaming movies are limited, but from what I have read they are going to try to do away with all DVDs over the next two years and go to just streaming video. Most tv shows are available to stream if this helps.

farmwriter":21423ujy said:
Lammie":21423ujy said:

I thought it was just us! My husband says there are no more real people w/AT&T, that they're all really robots. It is one pitiful excuse of a service company!

Gawd I HATE AT&T!! I have found that the best way to talk to a real person, albeit not one from this country, is to just keep pressing zero. Just press zero every time you are prompted, and after they hang up on you two or three times, you will eventually get to talk to someone. I can handle talking to someone from India, I just need to speak to a REAL PERSON.

Alan,

Monday, January 17, 2011
Removing "Add to DVD Queue" from Streaming Devices

Hi there, it's Jamie Odell, director of product management at Netflix, with an update for members who add DVDs to their Queue from the device they use to watch instantly. We're removing the "Add to DVD Queue" option from streaming devices. We're doing this so we can concentrate on offering you the titles that are available to watch instantly. Further, providing the option to add a DVD to your Queue from a streaming device complicates the instant watching experience and ties up resources that are better used to improve the overall streaming functionality. This change does not impact the Netflix Web site, where most members manage their DVD Queues.
Posted by Jamie at 9:39 AM Labels: devices, devices netflix, Instant Watching, Queue, streaming

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/01/removin ... -from.html

Now, they aren't saying it here, but the news I heard said spefically this was the start of phasing out mailing discs.

Latest posts