Net Wrap Removal Tips and Tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

lucky7chief":2h893rk4 said:
I found this online. It's probably too expensive to justify.

http://www.keltec.ie/baleslice.html
We have one of these and love it mainly because it saves time on mixing the hay and sileage bales when putting them in the TMR
Plus when we put hay in the cotton trailers it is broken up and the cows can eat more of it opposed to a whole round bale because it is more like loose hay

They can have their 4% loss in Wisconsin. Still not worth dealing with the stuff.

Its no comparison how fast I can cut strings, pull them, wrap them neatly, and drop them in a 5 gal bucket.

The giant ball of mess on back the truck after feeding 5+ bales of wrap is enough to drive me crazy in itself. Not counting all the headache of getting it out from under the bale. Of all things... don't let it get old. When wrap dry rots you can never get it all picked out. Its a nightmare.

Brute 23":1930yj6i said:
They can have their 4% loss in Wisconsin. Still not worth dealing with the stuff.

Its no comparison how fast I can cut strings, pull them, wrap them neatly, and drop them in a 5 gal bucket.

The giant ball of mess on back the truck after feeding 5+ bales of wrap is enough to drive me crazy in itself. Not counting all the headache of getting it out from under the bale. Of all things... don't let it get old. When wrap dry rots you can never get it all picked out. Its a nightmare.

By all means use string tied

There is no way removing string from a bale is faster than removing net . I've used both . It takes my bailer 14 seconds from starting the rap to tractor moving again to tie a bale with net. That alone is worth it to me . As far as the net after you take it off the bale it burns like a champ. No mess at all . I cut my net because I put the hay in feeders off the ground . And it rains so much here standing them on end would allow water to enter the bale . There is no right way just what works for you .

Fire Sweep Ranch":9qgvvfoy said:
lavacarancher":9qgvvfoy said:
Not a dilemma for me and apparently not for anyone. I just simply laid out the facts and folks chose to ignore the facts and do their own thing. And that's OK, don't care one way or the other. Nothing I stated against net wrap can or should be disputed, it is all factual - do the research. Fire sweep disputed the outdoor storage but they are wrong. Not one university study on outdoor storage of round baled hay using net showed any SIGNIFICANT longevity of the hay being stored.

Besides all that I said I would probably get a net wrap baler on my next purchase which should show I can go with popular belief in spite of facts.

Look at the research TB just quoted. Happens to be university research providing less loss when using net. Here is more:
Net Wrap or Twine?
What's better on large round bales - net wrap or twine? Of course, the question is largely a matter of personal preference, but it has been objectively researched by Dr Kevin Schinners, Agricultural Engineer at the University of Wisconsin. Some of the suggested advantages of net wrap include faster baling, lower baling losses, better bale integrity during handling and transport, better water shedding ability and lower outdoor storage losses. The net wrap material and equipment do add to the costs of baling, but Schinners' research results justify the added costs in many situations.
More from the same:
Reduced Outdoor Storage Losses

Outdoor hay storage results in a great deal of spoilage. Storing hay inside is recommended, but not always possible. Tarps can work, but can be challenging to maintain. The reality is that there are often lots of bales stored outside uncovered. "Water shedding ability" for outdoor bale storage is frequently cited as a perceived advantage of net wrap.

In the WI trials measuring moisture levels in the "outside rind" of the bales, net wrapped alfalfa bales did shed rainfall better than twined wrapped bales and were lower moisture. Finer stemmed grasses seemed to form a better thatch. However, some of the advantage of improved water shedding ability is lost if bales are not stored on a well drained surface (crushed rock, pallets, etc). Otherwise, rainwater will run off the bales and accumulate at the bottom.

In this study, in the outside hay rind, nutrient composition was significantly higher and dry matter losses were lower for net wrap compared to twine, but the core was generally unaffected. Average total dry matter losses for bales stored outside on the ground were 11.3% for plastic twine wrapped bales and 7.3% for net wrap. However, both of these options have significantly higher losses than inside storage. Net wrapping bales for uncovered storage outside does not substitute for inside storage.

Yep, I'd say that is evidence. When we started putting up our own hay, we took classes through the Missouri extension service on hay, and different types of baling (net, plastic, twine, haylage). They provided overwhelming evidence on the savings of hay when you use net (versus twine). So unless they are wrong I think I will follow the experts and keep my hay netted.
Another advantage we learned last year was storing the hay on old pallets. It is a slight pain to work with, but the bottom of our bales do not get wet and nasty when we put them on pallets.

And you call a 4% better storage results in the field with net wrap over string a SIGNIFICANT amount? Thank you, you made my point.

Some of you folks get your panties wadded up over nothing. I simply laid out the indisputable facts. Use what ever method melts your butter. Oh, I was going to admit I may have been a little hasty on unwrapping the net since I tried standing the bales on end to feed yesterday. Seems it might not be so bad. BUT, I lost two buttons on my shirt getting the net wrap caught in them. :lol2:

I would like to see the results of a study when keeping hay for two seasons stored outside. That's when I notice net wrapped bales really keep hay longer than string tied. If its fed the season its baled, it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.
Also, I would rather take net wrap off, but I use spears to move hay. If I used forks, I could see the hassle of net wrap.

lavacarancher":2b1zngly said:
And you call a 4% better storage results in the field with net wrap over string a SIGNIFICANT amount? Thank you, you made my point.

Some of you folks get your panties wadded up over nothing. I simply laid out the indisputable facts. Use what ever method melts your butter. Oh, I was going to admit I may have been a little hasty on unwrapping the net since I tried standing the bales on end to feed yesterday. Seems it might not be so bad. BUT, I lost two buttons on my shirt getting the net wrap caught in them. :lol2:

No panties in a wad, that would be uncomfortable! But, 4% is a huge amount if you are feeding a bunch. 4% x 1200 bale = 48 pounds per bale x 100 bales (just to make the math easy) is over 4800 pounds of hay saved! That is huge to me. Of course, I am not into waste or loss if I can help it.

And I agree about the shirt buttons! Or fingers, anything small enough to hung up on it. Since I started cutting the net with a knife straight across the bale side, I can easily pull it off with one tug, and roll it and not get anything hung up most of the time. And we just burn the stuff out here; toss it in the burn barrel as we walk by. I have been using the same knife for the second winter now, and am wondering when the blade will go dull? Probably on the coldest, hardest day to remove the stuff! :p

Spent 30 minutes putting this on photo bucket, might as well get some more miles out of it.

6 bales of wrap vs 6 bales of string :tiphat:

141_zps28773a82.jpg

In keeping with the season.. USE IT TO WRAP PRESENTS WITH!.. Ain't nobody can guess what's in that ball!

With so much controversy over net or twine... I'll stick with my small square bales.

Latest posts