Needed:Suggestions for feeding wheat straw

Help Support CattleToday:

Sounds like the Anapro a neighbor would inject into their straw. That is all they would feed them. The anapro (sp?) was a mix of mollasus. It was sticky, but the cows loved it.

It bothers me when someone markets their product using testimonials instead of hard data. I looked over the site and did not see any feed analysis. If it's not supplying enough energy & protein to make up for what the straw or poor hay lacks, then the cattle can starve to death with a full gut.

When I spoke to the sales rep about actual data or to put me in touch with a customer, all he could say was "30 day unconditional guarantee and no one has ever asked for one". Anyways when the data comes in , we will consider our options . Till then we will look at all the "time-tested" methods of using wheat straw to overwinter dry cows. I agree with Chris H on the protein/energy deal but with our hay shortage and drought we have to use all options available. Please keep the info both positive and negative coming. Thanks , Marcel

Forget it. Keep feeding the csm and a good "dairy dry cow mineral" but I'd feed a bit more than 1# per head per day of csm since wheat straw basically has no protein or energy.

when we had pur drought on '03 we did this. We did not realize to change the mineral to a 1:2 or was it 2:1 until later on. We had a few cows go down, poor calves and a rough calving season....Never Again.

Marcel":15smcjz8 said:
For feeding dry cows what would you suggest besides 1# per head daily of CSM or SBM and free choice minerals?

What about this? http://www.haymastersystems.com

The guy who rents our farmland injects his straw - wheat, I believe - with nitrogen. I can't give you any details because I don't know any, but it might be something to look into.

Mss, I have seen dairymen make a pyramid of round bales, cover with poly, seal the poly with dirt all around the edges and then insert a nozzle and apply annhydrous ammonia. It will raise the protein, make the hay more digestible and believe it or not the cattle love it. Normally turns the hay an ugly dark brown but otherwise no harm. Just be careful if you try it as anhydrous is very dangerous.

A few years back I fed weedy wheat straw. I set big rounds on end and poured 2 -3 gallons of mixture molasses, salt and water on the bale, feed bales free choice.

Morning feeding, cows got about 5 pounds good hay, fence line bunks spread out so all cows got some. And free choice hard lick tubs. The cows Wintered well.

TexasBred":172u4448 said:
Mss, I have seen dairymen make a pyramid of round bales, cover with poly, seal the poly with dirt all around the edges and then insert a nozzle and apply annhydrous ammonia. It will raise the protein, make the hay more digestible and believe it or not the cattle love it. Normally turns the hay an ugly dark brown but otherwise no harm. Just be careful if you try it as anhydrous is very dangerous.

Thanks - I'm not looking to try it, but I appreciate the information! :)

According to my research on hay crude protein levels (e.g., University Ag studies, beef cattle sources, etc.), most all "straw hay" types are generally in the "less than 5% crude protein" area. Obviously, when feeding such roughage, cattle need another supplemental source of protein as well as a good balanced mineral program.

Bill I'd guess that most "straw hay" runs even less protein than that and almost a negative energy value. Supplemental protein feeding is absolutely necessary otherwise they'll die with a full belly.