need some tree cutting advise

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I've got this huge red oak that was struck by lighting earlier in the year. it is dead and a lot of the small braches are shedding. It is 80' to 100' feet high and the base is atleast 15 feet circumference. I started trying to cut it down a few weeks ago and the north side of the tree had a hollow opening (that is the way I need it to fall, North)
with the outer wall being about 2ft thick. I was able to cut a notch on that side so it has an opening and built a fire in the base a few weeks ago thinking it would burn out the side on which I need it to fall and it cants north and a lot of the big limbs hang north. It burn for several days and it has approx. 1/2 of that side burnt out. I have not messed with it in a couple of weeks because I thought surely it would fall. I think it is 2 dangerous to attempt to stick the saw in the south side. I have a cable that I could attach but don't think I can get high enough to create the leverage I need. I've been thinking that the next wet day we have I'll just stack a big pile of lighter and pallets on the burn out side and see what happens.

I don't think I can afford sky. It is very dangerous It is in an area that I can keep the cows out of because they always laid under this tree. That's why I think I should just set it on fire and let it fall where ever it wants. Its in the corner of 2 fences but fixing fence is easy.

Oaks just fall apart as they rot while pines will rot at ground level and fall across a fence or road, whichever is closer. I've seen pines move a hundred yards to fall across a road. Anyway back to the oak. It'll it's not a hazard I'd just let it rot down. If it's a hazard or just an eye sore that's worrying you to the edge of instantly, which your to close to already, then I would try burning it. Cutting a hollow half rotten tree could be very dangerous.

I've thought about using wedges but The upper limbs are widow makers and could just fall at anytime. Like deep south said the oaks just shed the limbs until there is nothing but trunk left. I'll try and get some pics.

Hook":2x9w952x said:
Shanghai":2x9w952x said:
Tannerite and back off a good ways and open fire
There might be something to that. I know from experience half a lb will blow apart a 6x post at the base.

That looks promising. I have never used it before. youtube has videos of people blowing stuff up with it.

M5farm":1cirmk1r said:
Hook":1cirmk1r said:
Shanghai":1cirmk1r said:
Tannerite and back off a good ways and open fire
There might be something to that. I know from experience half a lb will blow apart a 6x post at the base.

That looks promising. I have never used it before. youtube has videos of people blowing stuff up with it.
If you do you have to video it!

I'm Contemplating going to academy this afternoon. I love blowing stuff up plus with tannerite I don't have to explain to the atf like before.

TennesseeTuxedo":3cvdxcaf said:
M5farm":3cvdxcaf said:
how far away do you have to be from it?

I'm over 500 miles away and somehow I don't feel safe with you blowing stuff up. LOL!

I hear you. When I saw Hook join in I thought this could get exciting :lol:
M5, Hook and tannerite, they may change the orbit

Shanghai":gsm4v7cd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":gsm4v7cd said:
M5farm":gsm4v7cd said:

I'm over 500 miles away and somehow I don't feel safe with you blowing stuff up. LOL!

Say I wanted to blow up something in the ground. Do you think I could take a length of 2" pipe and bury that with it connected to tannerite and then aim for the hole in the pipe. or would the change in direction change the velocity enough to keep it for detonating.

M5farm":2fig17zq said:
I'm Contemplating going to academy this afternoon. I love blowing stuff up plus with tannerite I don't have to explain to the atf like before.
:). Lol. "Your papers please"

Say I wanted to blow up something in the ground. Do you think I could take a length of 2" pipe and bury that with it connected to tannerite and then aim for the hole in the pipe. or would the change in direction change the velocity enough to keep it for detonating.[/quote]

Tannerite needs a direct hit to detonate

I found a video of some guy using pvc the would fill the pipe with it and leave some sticking out of the ground to shoot.

Shanghai":1omwcosj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1omwcosj said:
M5farm":1omwcosj said:

Cape Carnival comes to mind. After all they are in Florida.

Latest posts