Need some help

Help Support CattleToday:

redhawk1974

Reaction score
What do you guys think about raising some Brahman cows and putting a Hereford bull on them? And then crossing those with an angus? Or would you recomend a different bull for the third cross? Also I have read that the brahman/Hereford cross makes the tiger paterns but all the bradford I have seen look a lot like a hereford to me with a little more white in them. I really don't mind the tiger pattern myself so not to worried about that.

Also I have 100 acres of pasture with lots of grass to use and another 20 acres I can use for Hay. So how many head do you think I can keep and would 20 acres be enough for the amount of Hay I would need? The 20 arcre is still used for Hay now but could needs to be limed and ferterlized to make it better.

Thanks for all the help I appreciate it. And one more thing, I don't plan on buying the maximum number of cattle I can keep but starting out with six or seven head and a Bull just to get my feet wet and grow as I get experience. Patience is one thing I really have and I want to do things right. Not just for myself but for the cattle as well.

The plan, for tigerstripes x with Angus is a very good one. The only other bull I would suggest is Charolais. Where are you located?

What I see is a lot of years invested with no income, just go ahead and buy tigerstrip cows and put a char. bull on them if that is what you want. Keeping heifers is a long drawn out afair.

cowboy43":2cnfx5n8 said:
What I see is a lot of years invested with no income, just go ahead and buy tigerstrip cows and put a char. bull on them if that is what you want. Keeping heifers is a long drawn out afair.
This is very good advice. Unless you are needing to keep tax deductions.

Sorry I forgot to list my location. I am in central West Virginia. I am still open to other breeds as well but I am against keeping Angus cows. I have never liked them and they have never liked me lol. Majority of cattle around here are angus and hereford with out a doubt. This is the first herd of my own but I have helped out around farms since I was a kid. I know helping is not the same as doing and there is still plenty I need to learn.

redhawk1974":322opy6r said:
Sorry I forgot to list my location. I am in central West Virginia. I am still open to other breeds as well but I am against keeping Angus cows. I have never liked them and they have never liked me lol. Majority of cattle around here are angus and hereford with out a doubt. This is the first herd of my own but I have helped out around farms since I was a kid. I know helping is not the same as doing and there is still plenty I need to learn.
I personally would not want cattle with that much Brahman influence in your area. Do you see much Brahman influence there?

Honestly about the only thing we have around here is Angus and herefords. I know we should go with what sells but I am nto crazy about angus. Herefords I like so I guess I could Put an Angus bull on them. That way when I look out my fields won't be all black lol.

I am just wanting to run a small herd for some money on the side. It will never be my main source of income so I was just looking into making some profit and maybe not running the same as everyone else. I have seen a few shorthorns around here and even saw a pasture full of texas long horns the other day.

redhawk1974":12guk6dn said:

The Tigers are not for rookies you need to find some one with Tigers before you jump into this.
Brammers ain't for rookies either you lead brammers don't drive them. Trying to pen a bunch of yearling Tigers is like trying to herd deer. You better have dam good pens cause them Tigers will test them.

Caustic Burno":2vqm70nb said:
redhawk1974":2vqm70nb said:

The Tigers are not for rookies you need to find some one with Tigers before you jump into this.
Brammers ain't for rookies either you lead brammers don't drive them. Trying to pen a bunch of yearling Tigers is like trying to herd deer. You better have dam good pens cause them Tigers will test them.

It's like trying to pen deer..! :2cents:

If your dead set against Angus, I would use hereford cows crossed with a Gelbvieh bull. The heifers would make good momma cows and the steers would marble well and you would get a better yeild grade from the Gelbvieh side... but if it was me in your area it would be angus cows covered by a fullblood Limousin bull.

redhawk1974":3rl3hpxa said:
Honestly about the only thing we have around here is Angus and herefords. I know we should go with what sells but I am nto crazy about angus. Herefords I like so I guess I could Put an Angus bull on them. That way when I look out my fields won't be all black lol.

I am just wanting to run a small herd for some money on the side. It will never be my main source of income so I was just looking into making some profit and maybe not running the same as everyone else. I have seen a few shorthorns around here and even saw a pasture full of texas long horns the other day.

For a starter herd that's you best option.

OK I am gonna be a breed pimp and suggest that if you can find some purebred red Gelbvieh cows you can either put a herf bull on them or an angus. Either way you would have some calves with a lot of growth and those GV mommas would sure feed em well.

Either that or herf cows with a good homo blk balancer bull and you would have maximum heterosis and easy cows to work with.

redhawk1974":24mmjo7u said:

One of the things about see what's being raised around you isn't just what sells but what lives/thrives in the climate/pasture.

I would do herefords and angus as well - I would research GV too as has been posted - I personally just don't have the experience.

Latest posts