Need some help

Help Support CattleToday:

gertfan

Reaction score
My son's cow that is supposed to be 42 days bred had clear mucous on thurs at the fair. Does this mean she didn't settle and is or was in heat?
We talked to a guy that has AI'd for years and he said as long as it is clear not to worry.
I know this is going to sound stupid, but my husband and his cousin are able to witch for water and have both been successful in witching heifers/cows to see if they are bred, both say she is I'm just worried she is getting ready to abort again. It's a pain in the butt when you have purebred that you are trying to AI to great bulls to get better stock and it doesnt' work. Sometimes I think AI is more trouble than it's worth.
I would like some opinions and or ideas.

Why not have a qualified vet either palp her or ultrasound? Takes the guess work out. I would say that if she had a dischard at 42 days she may have reabsorbed the embryo. That woulkd in days be the equivilent of having missed one heat cycle.

dun

the only reason that I don't want to have her checked is I have heard too many times that it will or can cause them to abort. I guess we will have to do it though.
A friend of ours that lives in Michigan was supposed to bring home his external ultrasound but forgot it the last time, I would much rather have an external done than an internal.
maybe I just worry too much, but we are trying to get the boy calves to build his herd.

Yes it can cause abortions, proabably 1 in a couple thousand, if even that many.

dun

really, I guess I just thought it would be more than that. Sounds like we better get her checked then.
thanks!

If the perosn doing the checking knows what their doing the chances of her slipping are negligible. Most vets I know won't palpate until they're at least 45 days along. Sooner has a better chance of a problem, or so I've been told.
If's she's open she sure won;t be helping to grow a herd.

dun

We have come across a blood test to check for pregnancy
at 30 days after AI. Collect the blood at home...from under
the tail(they provide instruction photos)..send it in to lab
in Idaho & you get the results in about3-4 days...at
$2.25 per test. That sure beats the cost of a vet preg
check. We are going that route this fall instead of hauling
everyone to the vet to be checked. The company's

http://www.biotracking.com

You guys don't know what witching is??? It's where you hold 2 stiff wires (straightened out coathanger if you will) straight out in front of you parallell to each other and walt slowly. When you cross a water line or any underground water source the wire will cross each other like an X. Its a very old fashioned way of finding water, but it does work.

Had a neighbor that was supposed to be pretty good at it. Too bad they had to haul water - the well never delivered. :lol:

He was a surveyer too. Won't tell you how that has had to been redone pretty much anytime anybdoy does anything up at that corner :roll:

I witched for my parents' well when I was nine years old, they dug the well where I witched it and hit water at 30 feet. They decided to go on down to 90 feet and have always had plenty of water. This was 35 years ago. I used a forked peach tree limb. However, I've never heard of witching for calves. :cboy:

txshowmom":3jhzerjq said:
You guys don't know what witching is??? It's where you hold 2 stiff wires (straightened out coathanger if you will) straight out in front of you parallell to each other and walt slowly. When you cross a water line or any underground water source the wire will cross each other like an X. Its a very old fashioned way of finding water, but it does work.
I knew how you could find water that way.I have done that looking for a water line before.I was wondering what she had in mind as far as witching for cattle.Are ya gonna take 2 wires and run across there tailbone and check to see if there pregnant? Hope they don't get kicked :D

longhorn314":1b7ipepe said:
txshowmom":1b7ipepe said:
I knew how you could find find water that way.I was wondering what she had in mind as far as witching for cattle.Are ya gonna take 2 wires and run across there tailbone and check to see if there pregnant? Hope they don't get kicked :D

LOL I have no idae how you would witch for cattle.

Well I'm glad to see that everyone is getting a kick out of the witching subject.
But seriously, my husband can witch for water anywhere as can his cousin, they can also witch a cow/hiefer after so many days (don't remember how many) the way it works is if she is bred there is the amniotic fluid that is what shows up when they witch.
All I can say is you would have to see it to believe it.
The first time after my husband and I got married that he told me he was going to witch for a water line i told him he was nuts, then I watched him do it and he found the water line on the first try. He has done it for several years and I guess some people have it and others don't. I can 't do it but my oldest son can and youngest can't.
Anyway back to the cow, we put her in with the bull and he didn't do a thing so she must be bred.

I've witched for water with good success, never thought about witching a cow. May have to give that a try. I have used the string and pencil (or any other pendulus item) to determine the gender of calves inside the cow.

dun

Latest posts