need quick advice on young cow calving please

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
could not find all my cows couple hours ago, took me a while too find her. she was on her side and bloated with calfs front feet and the head sticking out. calf was already dead. got it pulled out as quick as i could, and got the cow sitting upright. a lot of bloat has gone away. will this cow make it.
what do i need to do to help it? this is its first calf, and of course it had to have an extra big head\,
body looked normal though.

Do your best to get her up! Don't know about the tractor, but try your best to get her up.

Good luck, alan

Perhaps a shot of Dexamethasone would help if she's got pinched nerves, helps with the inflamation. I would try and get her up, but I've had a few with hard births that I got up the following day (and after the dex shot). Are predators going to be a problem? That would be one of my biggest worries if she can't get up.

tried several times that night , could not get it up. her insides was out next morning back on her side. never would try to use back end, ended up shooting her.

Dang, its hard to lose 'em. After we lost a couple because that were on the back 40 a couple years ago, we keep the heifers close just in case. Had two hard pulls this Spring but got live calves. We're a small operation and I realize it would be more difficult managing a big herd. Good luck with the rest of your season.