Need Opinions on Grading

Help Support CattleToday:

IMO, we are not preparing this group of kids for college. They are in regular classes. If they make all "A"'s all 4 year, they will still be in the bottom quarter of their class of about 600 kids. Most of these kids are going into the working force. Most are just in school for a drivers license(in Texas you must be in school and have good attendance to get/keep you drivers license) and for a diploma. Not all kids are college material. If they were, they would be taking pre-AP and AP classes. We need plumbers, welders, electricians , and other service personal. They can still earn a great deal of money.

My son decided to wait a year before he goes to college. This killed me since he had over 10, 000 in scholorships. However, in real world, he has become fluent in Spanish and takes home 6-9 hundred a week. He was able to pay cash for 5 acres of land as well as invest in the stock market. The company he works for will pay for all of his college next year. Not bad for an 18 year old.

His salary will be more than mine. I have a masters degree and 17 year of experience. Pretty much stinks for me, but I'm thrilled for him. We will have to wait and see if he really goes to college next year.

The kid has his head up his a$$ for this test. Why is it the fault of the teacher? I am sure the teacher layed out his/her grading policy the first day of class. The student made his bed by not being prepaired for the test, he needs to live with the results and outcome. If anyone of the people on this board fail on a project in there work, they don't complain that the test was unfair, they suck it up and deal with the results. Welcome to real life kid.

Rangenerd":ybb3i7fu said:
The kid has his head up his a$$ for this test. Why is it the fault of the teacher? I am sure the teacher layed out his/her grading policy the first day of class. The student made his bed by not being prepaired for the test, he needs to live with the results and outcome. If anyone of the people on this board fail on a project in there work, they don't complain that the test was unfair, they suck it up and deal with the results. Welcome to real life kid.

True enough...welcome to real life. But, this is about high school. I'd bet my bottom dollar the grading policy was not laid out in class...and if it was, again, it's high school. The kid did not have the opportunity to drop the class...like he could have in college. It was take it...and there was no leave it.

Alice

I have a lot of mistakes i've done in my real life and with no second chance.that's just the way it is.Real life is not like a tv show.You can't review and cut out the parts ya don't like. Ya just have to suck it up and learn from your mistakes and move on. Giving the kid a break is not good teaching.

My thoughts only.

Cal

*Cowgirl*":19ozdc84 said:
TxSimbrahShower":19ozdc84 said:
This year we have found that several of my sons classes have high weights on major test and then they only give 1 major test for the nine weeks. One class is 60% major grade, 40 % quizzes and only 10% daily grades, well guess what they did the most in that class, yep daily grades, took one test and a couple of quizzes. We learned of these percentages when my son walked in with a progress report and had a 79 in the class. (normally his grades are all A's, maybe 1 B.)

Then the second nine weeks, when the first progress report came out, one class didn't have any grades yet, so the teacher just made up grades for everybody, figured this out when the second progress report for the nine weeks came out. Wasn't very happy about this, needless to say, teacher is well aware of how unhappy we were.

Gotta tell ya, sometimes you run into teachers that are use to parents not caring and they think that they can get away with anything because they basically have all this time. Well they better hope that my son's not in their class, because I do watch my son's grades and I'm not afraid to contact the teacher, principle and if I don't get a satisfactory response at the school campus level, I have in the past gone to the Superintendent of the district.

mom
Uh - duh, that's why they're called DAILY grades

First I meant to type in 30% on quizzes.

Duh, if the majority of work that you do in the class is for a daily grade, then the daily grades should have a heavier weight. Was my point!!

TxSimbrahShower":3njxm4oh said:
*Cowgirl*":3njxm4oh said:
TxSimbrahShower":3njxm4oh said:
This year we have found that several of my sons classes have high weights on major test and then they only give 1 major test for the nine weeks. One class is 60% major grade, 40 % quizzes and only 10% daily grades, well guess what they did the most in that class, yep daily grades, took one test and a couple of quizzes. We learned of these percentages when my son walked in with a progress report and had a 79 in the class. (normally his grades are all A's, maybe 1 B.)

Then the second nine weeks, when the first progress report came out, one class didn't have any grades yet, so the teacher just made up grades for everybody, figured this out when the second progress report for the nine weeks came out. Wasn't very happy about this, needless to say, teacher is well aware of how unhappy we were.

Gotta tell ya, sometimes you run into teachers that are use to parents not caring and they think that they can get away with anything because they basically have all this time. Well they better hope that my son's not in their class, because I do watch my son's grades and I'm not afraid to contact the teacher, principle and if I don't get a satisfactory response at the school campus level, I have in the past gone to the Superintendent of the district.

mom
Uh - duh, that's why they're called DAILY grades

First I meant to type in 30% on quizzes.

Duh, if the majority of work that you do in the class is for a daily grade, then the daily grades should have a heavier weight. Was my point!!

And a good point, at that... :)

Alice

Latest posts