Need Opinions on Grading

Help Support CattleToday:

Is this a midsemester grade? If so, He can bust his chops and make up for it by the semester with a 70 or above easy AND with lesson learned. My son is a HS athlete and he had this problem too. They were going to take away his athletic privledges if he didn't improve. I was amazed how fast his grade went from a 69 to an 84 in Geometry.

Since that time, his math grades haven't even been close to failing. I've actually seen him study too.

Haven't posted in a long time, but this one caught my eye. If the student is on the basketball team, I'm sure he was made aware of the fact that he had to pass his classes to remain eligible. I can remember helping other guys on the basketball team with their homework so they didn't become ineligible. Someone who makes straight A's and then gets a 40% on the exam obviously didn't prepare as well for the test as he should have. Mommy and Daddy are setting a bad precedent by running to his rescue. Welcome to the real world young man: life isn't always fair; there are no retests; you and only you are responsible for your actions; and Mom and Pop won't live forever. Boone

Did this young man answer the questions on the test correctly or not. You keep talking about how you "feel" about this. In that case taking grades would be a waste of time, you could just walk through the class and give them the grade you "feel" they should have. That being said I admire your empathy. As a father the being tough part was my job, and Linda was inclined to a more subjective standard. That is why it is so important to have both a mother and a father in a childs life.

Larry

The STUDENT failed, it's not the teachers fault. I've been in classes where there has only been test per grading period, they were weighted. That's just how it is. If I flub up on one and lose my 4.0, the teacher isn't going to change the grade that I earned just b/c I messed up one grading period; it is my fault not the teachers.

Finding:
The teacher lacked consistence and didn't fairly grade the student. Had she had the guts the 2nd 6 weeks not to retest the students that failed that test and fail the students that didn't pass that test, she would have been okay. In the committees opinion, she retest because her failure rate was too high. Never was the weight of the test an issue. The parents didn't even care if their son passed or failed. They wanted the teacher to be consistent with her testing/retest policy.

If you have ever tried to teach you child something, you know that each child will have their own strengths and weakness. In this case, the teacher didn't let nature even out the grades over time. Either retest every time or never. You can't give one student a lifeline and not another.

FYI: If a teacher has a high failure rate, the district then provides you with a mentor and will put you on a growth plan to help you improve your teaching. Something you don't want to have to deal with.

Is this teacher grading the same as others in the school?

We have had some issues with our son at school. One of my biggest complaints is teachers having different grading systems. Different teachers grading different in the same grade level, I feel they should grade the same statewide at least. This has been a sore point with me because our county school system has a bad reputation about not working with special needs kid's. Went to a conference where they basically asked us how to do their job.

I think that if he made a 68% and all his other grades were acceptable then it would not harm anything to raise that grade to a 70. That is what we would do here. I am interested in knowing how the other students in his class did on that test. If everyone failed or made a lower grade than normal, then the teacher needs to look at grading on a curve. It is the test and not the kids. If not, then that kid should be able to write a paper or no a book report or something to count as an extra grade to raise his average.

ffamom":13o6el5q said:
FYI: If a teacher has a high failure rate, the district then provides you with a mentor and will put you on a growth plan to help you improve your teaching. Something you don't want to have to deal with.

That is a wonderful idea.
There are far to many teachers that have a "God complex"
They are right you are wrong.
Checks and balances are good for us all.

From a teacher's prospective, in our district, the inconsistency in retesting would have prevailed as it apparently did here. Here are problems I face as a teacher: On a federal level we get No Child Left Behind that says within a few years, all students are going to achieve at expected levels. It's up to us to figure out how to physically and financially do it. In Missouri we have a MAP Test (MO Assessment Program). The standards are set higher than the federal expectations and are considered to be some of the toughest in the nation - in the top 5, I believe. Again, it's up to us to figure out how to physically and financially do it. Every district in the state must meet these standards, that are being raised each year. In MO, all students are to be tested, including special needs students. Of my 150 students, 30+ are special needs kids with IEPs (Individualized Educational Plans) that allow all kinds of adjustments as deemed necessary: less work, more time, tests read to them, answers transcribed for them, notes done for them, essay questions replaced with multiple choice questions with fewer answer choices, word banks, group testing, etc..., this list goes on and on. The kids get this help in the classroom but the state now says they will take the same MAP test everyone else takes, under the same conditions, with very few exceptions. On a district level, it's up to each of us to figure out how to physically and financially get our students to meet these standards. I have one class with 15 'advanced' students, my other 5 classes range from 25-30. One of the classes of 30 includes 9 special needs kids. By law, I must meet all guidelines stated in their IEPs. Our district has a set grading scale, but each teacher has the right/responsibility to set rules for make-ups, retakes, extra credit, and determine/weight grades within that scale. The key is to set your guidelines, make them known to all, and stick with them. We operate on a 9 week, 4 quarter, 2 semester year. My students quarter grades are: 25% daily work and homework; 25% daily reading project; 25% lab work, 25% tests and quizzes. Semester grades are 1st qtr, 40%, 2nd qtr 40%, final exam 10%, same for 3rd and 4th qtrs. Now, my 15 advanced students will typically complete 3-5 labs and take 3-5 tests in a 9 week quarter. My class of 30 with the 9 special needs kids will normally complete 2 labs and 2 tests for this same time frame. Therefore their tests and labs actually carry more weight. Is that fair? Maybe yes, maybe no. But that's reality, that's life. We bash our public educational system because we fall short compared to a lot of foreign countries. We also offer every student an education, regardless of needs. I had a college professor from Iran. She said it's easier to get into college here than it was to get into Jr High there. As teenagers, she said only the top students were allowed to continue in school. The rest were put to work in factories and such. A lot of people, including the politicians that set standards for education, need to spend some time in their local school systems, and I'm not talking about a 30 minute walk-through photo op. Volunteer to be an aid all day long for two weeks. Get a real taste. You might come away with a different perspective. I know this is a long rant, but I'm not sorry. And don't get me wrong, I love what I do more than anything else I've ever done. If you are a teacher, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you've ever worked for or dealt with the government, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Teachers aren't always the problem.

Sorry, I didn't read everyones response, so if this was already commented on, I apologize.

My brother is a smart guy, not a genius, but a smart guy. He was diligent in his studies, he did not "sluff-off"... but his grades were very poor. He would get great scores on assignments, but he would absolutely FREEZE when a test came. He had one teacher in HS, who did not/could not understand how this could happen. So a day of a test came, and he took my brother out of class, and had a discussion with him. The discussion included everything that was on the test... my brother A'ced his first test ever.

He graduated and went into the military.

I know that not everyone learns the same way, nor can they regurgitate what is learned in the same way... but our school systems do not take that into account.

With that being said, I do not think so much weight should be put on one item, at least not so much weight, that doing badly on 1 test or 1 assignment, could mean imminent failure.

Michele

This year we have found that several of my sons classes have high weights on major test and then they only give 1 major test for the nine weeks. One class is 60% major grade, 40 % quizzes and only 10% daily grades, well guess what they did the most in that class, yep daily grades, took one test and a couple of quizzes. We learned of these percentages when my son walked in with a progress report and had a 79 in the class. (normally his grades are all A's, maybe 1 B.)

Then the second nine weeks, when the first progress report came out, one class didn't have any grades yet, so the teacher just made up grades for everybody, figured this out when the second progress report for the nine weeks came out. Wasn't very happy about this, needless to say, teacher is well aware of how unhappy we were.

Gotta tell ya, sometimes you run into teachers that are use to parents not caring and they think that they can get away with anything because they basically have all this time. Well they better hope that my son's not in their class, because I do watch my son's grades and I'm not afraid to contact the teacher, principle and if I don't get a satisfactory response at the school campus level, I have in the past gone to the Superintendent of the district.

mom

How many major tests will there be in college? A Midterm and a final? Will mommy come to my rescue if I bomb one of those? Will she save my scholarship by whining to the dean? No. - you're in high school - learn to act like an adult, because if you're planning to go to college ( and beening a straight A student, you should ) you're gonna have to learn fast. So, it really stinks that he made a bad grade, but sometimes that happens. But, the teacher didn't randomly assign him an F, the grade was earned. He/she was not requires to offer a retest and he/she chose not to, if a teacher gave a retest every time, why would the kids study at all?

TxSimbrahShower":f12ji6bh said:
This year we have found that several of my sons classes have high weights on major test and then they only give 1 major test for the nine weeks. One class is 60% major grade, 40 % quizzes and only 10% daily grades, well guess what they did the most in that class, yep daily grades, took one test and a couple of quizzes. We learned of these percentages when my son walked in with a progress report and had a 79 in the class. (normally his grades are all A's, maybe 1 B.)

Then the second nine weeks, when the first progress report came out, one class didn't have any grades yet, so the teacher just made up grades for everybody, figured this out when the second progress report for the nine weeks came out. Wasn't very happy about this, needless to say, teacher is well aware of how unhappy we were.

Gotta tell ya, sometimes you run into teachers that are use to parents not caring and they think that they can get away with anything because they basically have all this time. Well they better hope that my son's not in their class, because I do watch my son's grades and I'm not afraid to contact the teacher, principle and if I don't get a satisfactory response at the school campus level, I have in the past gone to the Superintendent of the district.

mom
Uh - duh, that's why they're called DAILY grades

*Cowgirl*":1bmjqla1 said:
How many major tests will there be in college? A Midterm and a final? Will mommy come to my rescue if I bomb one of those? Will she save my scholarship by whining to the dean? No. - you're in high school - learn to act like an adult, because if you're planning to go to college ( and beening a straight A student, you should ) you're gonna have to learn fast. So, it really stinks that he made a bad grade, but sometimes that happens. But, the teacher didn't randomly assign him an F, the grade was earned. He/she was not requires to offer a retest and he/she chose not to, if a teacher gave a retest every time, why would the kids study at all?
I had 3 different 16 week college classes where we did enough paperwork to kill a couple trees. We had one grade, the final exam, not even a midterm. Our district recently told those of us who gave comprehensive finals that we must intensify them and construct them in a 'college-like' manner. Those who currently don't give finals must start. Seems a lot of our straight A high school kids are bombin' out at college because there's a ton more work, on their own - no study buddy stuff, and they are accustomed to taking a test over a 10 page unit or concept and not over a 500 page book. Seems noone at the college level got the memo that they would need to spoon feed these kids and wipe their butts for them. I agree we need to do what we can to help all kids, but we sometimes water stuff down so much and lower standards so low that nobody gets any longterm benefit. One of these days school will be over and life will slap these kids upside the head. They won't have a clue what to do or who to turn to. The same government that made the laws to make it easier for them will be pickin' up the tab, again. And guess whose pocket that's comin' out of!

TxSimbrahShower":jsyl9fm8 said:
...my sons classes have high weights on major test and then they only give 1 major test for the nine weeks. One class is 60% major grade, 40 % quizzes and only 10% daily grades...
Is that a typo? That adds up to 110%. Our district uses electronic gradebooks with everything stored in the computer system. After a 3 year trial with regular gradebook for backup, we no longer keep pen/pencil gradebooks. Students and parents can now access their part of the gradebook on-line. If the teacher is using an electronic gradebook program, it shouldn't have allowed that.

fit2btied":wgbzy22c said:
*Cowgirl*":wgbzy22c said:
I had 3 different 16 week college classes where we did enough paperwork to kill a couple trees. We had one grade, the final exam, not even a midterm. Our district recently told those of us who gave comprehensive finals that we must intensify them and construct them in a 'college-like' manner. Those who currently don't give finals must start. Seems a lot of our straight A high school kids are bombin' out at college because there's a ton more work, on their own - no study buddy stuff, and they are accustomed to taking a test over a 10 page unit or concept and not over a 500 page book. Seems noone at the college level got the memo that they would need to spoon feed these kids and wipe their butts for them. I agree we need to do what we can to help all kids, but we sometimes water stuff down so much and lower standards so low that nobody gets any longterm benefit. One of these days school will be over and life will slap these kids upside the head. They won't have a clue what to do or who to turn to. The same government that made the laws to make it easier for them will be pickin' up the tab, again. And guess whose pocket that's comin' out of!
I agree, there are WAY too many high school valedictorians who loose their scholarships b/c of grades. We need to prepare these kids while they are still in high school for what they will face in college.

i haven't read all of this...

That said, if the kid wound up with a 68% because of one test, and he is normally an A student, then something's wrong here...the kid have been sick, he may have been stressed, who knows what.

Why can't the teacher just throw out the lowest test grade of all the tests the students took?

Alice

Alice":24uahqnt said:

That said, if the kid wound up with a 68% because of one test, and he is normally an A student, then something's wrong here...the kid have been sick, he may have been stressed, who knows what.

Why can't the teacher just throw out the lowest test grade of all the tests the students took?

Alice
The way I interpreted the original post, there was only one test given in that particular grading term. Even if there had been 10 tests, why should the lowest be tossed out. If I'm going to do that, I'm going to toss out the highest also, just in case they were having an extraordinarily good test taking day. That's my point, we keep cutting these kids slack and giving them breaks. That's not how life works! They are going to wake up some morning and figure out that those reality shows on TV have absolutely nothing to do with real reality!

fit2btied":5dutr19j said:
Alice":5dutr19j said:

Alice
The way I interpreted the original post, there was only one test given in that particular grading term. Even if there had been 10 tests, why should the lowest be tossed out. If I'm going to do that, I'm going to toss out the highest also, just in case they were having an extraordinarily good test taking day. That's my point, we keep cutting these kids slack and giving them breaks. That's not how life works! They are going to wake up some morning and figure out that those reality shows on TV have absolutely nothing to do with real reality!

I guess I'm not reading it the way you are. The way I read it...he failed one test in the six week period. Now, if there was only one test given in that six weeks, then I find something really wrong with that, also. One test...during and entire six weeks? That sounds like something a Science or Texas History teaching coach would pull.

I remember in HS and college being able to throw out the lowest test grade...and these weren't teachers and profs who gave away anything, let me assure you.

Alice

Alice":1z3q0wom said:
I guess I'm not reading it the way you are. The way I read it...he failed one test in the six week period. Now, if there was only one test given in that six weeks, then I find something really wrong with that, also. One test...during and entire six weeks? That sounds like something a Science or Texas History teaching coach would pull.

I remember in HS and college being able to throw out the lowest test grade...and these weren't teachers and profs who gave away anything, let me assure you.

Alice
Quote from ffamom: ...The teacher has 3 categories she classifies their grades into, 45 percent for the one test, 35 percent for quizzes (6 grades), and 20 percent for daily grades(7 grades)...

The part of that I have a problem with is only 7 daily grades in 6 weeks, but I don't know how this teacher operates. Maybe she can justify that. I assure you, she would have to in our district! We are supposed to be getting these kids ready for the future and if that includes college, we are failing miserably. What they are seeing in high school is not even remotely close to what they are going to see in college.

Latest posts