Need Information and Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

"Weak calf syndrome" is when a THIN underconditioned cow gives birth to a small, weak calf, that usually dies unless the owner intervenes & feeds it. Essentially, the calf is born too weak to get up & nurse and usually does not have the "instinct" to nurse. A calf that does not jump right up & nurse has a bigger chance of getting "other" problems - pneumonia, naval ill, etc.
This calf may have naval ill. The joints look deformed, which could have been caused by naval ill. Naval ill does not necessarily mean the naval is infected. It means germs entered the blood stream through the fresh naval cord (which is why they need to calve in a clean environment & have the naval cord dipped in iodine).
It is sooo hard to judge from 1 picture, but if the legs ARE as bad as they seem, the heavier the calf gets, the worse the legs are going to get. So the more you feed it & take care of it, the less it will be able to get up & get around.
The owner is looking for another "sucker" like they were. I would not advise getting this calf. Let them make the decision as to what to do with the calf.
In my opinion (IMO) the vet doesn't have a CLUE what he/she is talking about, if in fact, vet saw this calf and said nothing is wrong with this calf. By the way, a good 4 month old calf should weigh 300-400# in a good "on the cow" situation. Don't know what a bottle calf should weigh.

there are several possibilities and likely two or more of them apply.

The calf is likely inbred. self explanatory.

it may have had (still have) a mineral deficiency.

it was probably born weak and was malnourished for whatever reason.

it may have had navel ill.

it looks like the calf was taken away from its mother (died?) at about 2 weeks old and left to fend for itself.

those are the obvious things that come to mind that would cause this calf to be stunted, which it is, and always will be. i have seen some crappy looking calves turn around with proper mineral and grain. i think this one can be helped some but not cured. not by a long shot.

If it were me. I would pen that calf up with clean water and good calf starter. Worm the heck out of it, give it shot of Batril or Nuflor. Banamine may make it feel better and take down any inflamation it may have in the joints. Probios in its feed along with Aoreomycin crumbles and give it time to recooperate. It may straighten out and it may not. If you are willing to spend the time and money on it, go for it. I've seen some pretty rough looking calves come out and look good. Although it does look pretty bad. I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

:( This calf looks to be possibly inbred ( we aborted a heifer
that was the victim of her half brother, calf was very odd
looking) Also nutritional issues could be a factor. The mother
might have had poor nutrition during the gestation period. :x
Could have genetic problems-- weak heart, joint problems,
growth plate abnormalities,ect. At best, this calf could be
a pet. You would not want to breed something like this,
the life span most likely will be short, consider quality of life issues. The cost is the same to take care of a "good" one
as well as a "bad" one. ;-) Not to mention the emotional
turmoil created when something that you have cared for and
nutured up and dies. :shock: This poor little calf should
not have survived his initial birth. :(

ValNFla":24nhv8ph said:
Some has offered me a Angus/Limo cross calf that is about 4 months old.

Well you have gotten a lot of good advice so far. Please post before you get a bull or do something else I am sure you will get even more good advice.

I hope you are not letting the calf get at any of the chicken feed, and if you are, that the calf is never allowed into the human food chain.

If you post about this animal again could you please leave out the breed part?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Luck!

The post about poor nutrition, in particular protein or copper, are good possibilities. Another consideration would be BVD. If this turns out to be the case, the calf coould pose a threat to other calves in the future.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":35gdmqj1 said:
D.R. Cattle":35gdmqj1 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":35gdmqj1 said:
I think the best thing for that calf judging from how it looks is to have a vet out to euthanize it. I dont think there is any chance of it leading a normal productive life. I got 2 month old calves 2-3 times bigger than that. Something is definately wrong with it.

Who in the heck calls the vet to euthanize a calf?
A wuss who doesn't have any lead in his barrel. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a calf with navel infection a number of yrs. ago. It's legs curved forward exactly as in picture. Knees were swollen from infection, but can't tell from picture if it's is. Has it's temp. been taken? Would think if it has an infection that it would have a fever. Treated mine with a good round of antibiotics and Banamine, and cleared it up, but took a while.

Well here goes...My opinion...........

We are here, you are there. It's 100% your call.

It's your call either way. If the calf seems to get around ok, is not in any kind of pain or discomfort, eats well at this point, and you have the heart for it...heck give it a shot , of course knowing the limitations you will be faced with.

You can try any remedy you and your wallet can stand, and yes, my guess there will be some improvement for this poor fella. but also be aware that there certainly are pitfalls to taking on such a project.

Personally, under the above circumstances, I might try it out. heck, if it's still breathing, and not suffering, I am usually willing to try.

After all, I would not dare mention to any one on this board, lest I get a good reaming, that only a week ago, while at the local sale barn I picked up not one but three 'lost causes', one of which passed on to the big pasture in the sky even before we got unloaded. The others doing remarkably well with some TLC.

It all comes down to time, desire, resourses etc. Not to mention a place you can safely stuff these poor things in to protect your core herd from any diseases thay may bring with them. No matter what.always protect your herd! :cboy:

Latest posts