Need help

Help Support CattleToday:

Bub

Reaction score
I have a calf that we banded 3 weeks ago an he has fell off to nothing don't act like he is even interested in feed the rest of the calfs are gaining good is there anything I can try I have already separated him out from the rest thanks

Take him to the vet, probably the best ROI you can make today. After several of these cases you'll develop an eye for these things.

Agree, take him to the vet. With no other details provided it could be a number of things. If you absolutely do not have a vet available to see or call please provide details: Did you give a tetanus or antibiotic when you banded? Age/weight? Does he have a temp? Have they fallen off/what does it look like/is there a foul smell? Coughing/snotty nose? Vaccinations? Any additional info would be helpful.

I gave a tetanus shot when they was banded they ant fell off yet the thing I don't get when you go toward him he jumps up an takes off I see him pickin grass just can't figure it out

How old is he? Has he got a fever? Has been vaccinated? "Pickin grass".......eating it or just picking at it? Does he have a snotty nose? Is he lethargic when not running away from you?

Not enough info.

Okay, so you gave him a tetanus shot, they haven't fallen off, he jumps up when you approach & picks at grass. Still not enough info, Bub. You need to get him caught so you can at least examine him. I would guess he has an infection but . . . . ???

Its too soon for them to fall off. Get him in an alley and crowd him into a pen. Then into a chute or medina if nothing else. Get some vitals. You gotta catch him if you take him to the vet. If a vet comes out you gotta catch him.

There is no way to provide an informed diagnosis in this media method. I suspect his condition has nothing to do with the band. But it could.

Latest posts