Need Help with club feeder calves gaining weight

Help Support CattleToday:

countrybumpkin90

Reaction score
We have 2 club/4-h calves that are appox 90 days old. Took them for tagging and to be weighed this past Saturday and they were 177lbs (bull, soon to be steer) & 184lbs (heifer). They have to be at least 300lbs in 8 weeks, this is our first year raising feeder calves. Is there a chance they'll make weight?
They were sale barn bottle babies, pure Angus. First 3 weeks we almost lost them to scours multiple times, so they're behind. Currently being fed Umbarger Light Em Up & were previously on Umbarger Prime. I add Calf-Manna to their feed daily due to some hair loss on the bull calf, it's resolved. They have access to some hay. Should I be doing something else? Will they ever gain enough in 8 weeks?

123 lbs in 56 days = 2.2 lbs per day
Yes, they will make it doing what you are doing, but limit the hay to avoid pot bellies, another bag of milk replacer
between the 2 of them wouldn't hurt.

I haven't dealt with feeder bottle calves much, so my suggestion/question might be out way past center field.
Have you thought about putting in a growth hormone since they are feeder calves? It could help aid in them making weight. I just do not know about the rules of feeder bottle calves.