Need Charolais & American Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

JTBullRider

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good Charolais heifer. The breed looks pretty weak in the juniors show circuit right now. Any idea where to get an awesome one? I'm looking for a good Bradford or Bramousin heifer too. Would appreciate all leads. Thanks.

DeShazer had some good Brafords outta the Queen cow, I think. They do have pics on their website at http://www.deshazer.com. There's also a boy outta Gilmer that has a pretty good Braford, you might call him and see where he got it. His name is Toby Martin (mom's name is Mary). He won Houston with her this year.

As for Charolais, I would try Lehman's -- they're about the best that I know of.

How much would I spend..... I'm guessing for an awesome Charolais I'd be willing to spend more than 5K but less than 8K. Is that a decent price range for a good one?

JTBullRider":tmqe1qlk said:
How much would I spend..... I'm guessing for an awesome Charolais I'd be willing to spend more than 5K but less than 8K. Is that a decent price range for a good one?

holy cow...im mean heifer. it might be the prices there but not many people around here spend that much money on a calf.

JTBullRider":1njq9u0q said:

Heck for that price you could visit 15 Canuck breeders - buy three of the best in Canada - of those supposedly BSE ridden calves - get vet and health certificates for all and after getting home - including the travel - you would have money left over.

And they still have a pile of hair on them.

:D

Bez>

I know some people that show brafords out of east Texas. I'll see if i can find their number for you. they have been pretty successful in the open braford shows. do you have an age you are looking for? or anything specific about the heifer?

If I go the Braford route I would want something between one year and two years old. Charolais I'd use for the breeding program and could be a little younger. If I get my daughter a Braford I'd be wanting it to be old enough to have a shot at Waco and Ft. Worth next year. I heard of some Charolais folks giving over 5K for a good one.... so that's where I set my price range. I'd love to pick up one cheaper. Will try and make the Lehman sale. If I could get Tobie's number that would be great. Thanks for all the help.

cattleluvr18":13uznw5k said:
JTBullRider":13uznw5k said:

holy cow...im mean heifer. it might be the prices there but not many people around here spend that much money on a calf.

This quote coming from a person in Tecumseh, NE? You must not know Mike Hartman, whose sale averages over $7500, with the high sellers in the $50K -$70K range.

cattleluvr18":32g9fhft said:
JTBullRider":32g9fhft said:

That's pretty typical around here, although I haven't brought myself to spend that much. Across breeds, I've seen them go for upwards of more than 10K.

JTBullRider":2ycnzxo0 said:
If I go the Braford route I would want something between one year and two years old. Charolais I'd use for the breeding program and could be a little younger. If I get my daughter a Braford I'd be wanting it to be old enough to have a shot at Waco and Ft. Worth next year. I heard of some Charolais folks giving over 5K for a good one.... so that's where I set my price range. I'd love to pick up one cheaper. Will try and make the Lehman sale. If I could get Tobie's number that would be great. Thanks for all the help.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Ft. Worth has a Braford show (maybe Open Division does). Of course you could show ARB or whatever -- I'm not real familiar with how that goes, but I'm sure somebody on here could help us both. Houston does have a Braford show in the juniors though.

farmwife":26sqgeun said:
JTBullRider":26sqgeun said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think Ft. Worth has a Braford show (maybe Open Division does). Of course you could show ARB or whatever -- I'm not real familiar with how that goes, but I'm sure somebody on here could help us both. Houston does have a Braford show in the juniors though.

I know they do have an Open show, for sure.

For a good Charolais heifer, check out Lehman Charolais (http://www.lehmancharolais.com). They have a sale on April 21st just north of Dallas. They have produced many champions including the current national champion charolais heifer.

AAOK":3r7u9gqj said:
cattleluvr18":3r7u9gqj said:
JTBullRider":3r7u9gqj said:

This quote coming from a person in Tecumseh, NE? You must not know Mike Hartman, whose sale averages over $7500, with the high sellers in the $50K -$70K range.

oh yes, everybody knows mike hartman. me and pops went to his sale last...whenever it was? and they brought wwwaay over my price limit. but i think maybe just a handful of buyers are from nebraska. most come from other states. like i said, not many people around here spend that much money on a calf.

chambero":kmfr6wp2 said:
You should also call Dan Leddy in Cleburne for a Charolais.

I know Dan pretty well and was over there about a week ago. Their price range doesn't go up enough for the reg. charolais heifers he has over there.

5-8 is more then enough for a hefier I know for 2500 you can get a good looking heifer all you have to do is shop around and sit back dont buy the first heifer you see for $8,580 or 5,600 keep looking also let them know what your doing there are many breeders that will work with you if you let them know your gonna be showing them and puting there name out at many shows they wont give a heifer away but will be happy to help you out

Latest posts