need advise

Help Support CattleToday:

ksutmc

Reaction score
About three weeks ago we noticed someone's cow/calf was in a pasture we are renting for our 7 bred cows. The cow had an ugly cut on it's shoulder, assuming she went through the barb wire fence after her calf. The landowner called the owners of the cow/calf to let him know he needed to come get the pair. Was checking our cows yesterday and the cow/calf are still in the pasture and the cow now has a big knot about 12" in diameter on it's shoulder. Obviously, the cow has an abcess or badly infected, although the cow still seems pretty active. Talked to a friend that knows the owners, says they probably will not mess with the cow/calf, they run about 2000 head and it is not worth their time to set up panels and try to catch one pair. So, now what, I can't stand the thought of just letting it go?.? Our cows will be in the pasture for another 4 weeks or so, then we will set up panels and haul them home to calf. I know I just can't take this pair home, doubt if it will be alive or in good shape by that point of time. Could I get the owners to sell me the pair cheap, get a bill of sale, then attempt to treat. I know of someone that has a dart gun, could maybe get some antibiotics in it, don't know if that would be enough. Get I would appreciate all you seasoned cattleman/cattlewoman's advise.

ps...there is no gates between the two properties.

Call the owner of the cattle first and left them know that the cow/calf is on your place. Then take it from there.

We have had neighbor's critters get into our place several times. The owner's wouldn't come get them.
I called the county Livestock Officer and told him about the animals and who they belonged to. He contacted the owners, the owners didn't want them and he came and picked them up.

I would get in touch with the owner personally and tell them about the situation. Maybe they would let it go cheap. Maybe not. Either way i wouldn't take somebody else's word for it unless I heard the same thing myself. It's their word but it's your butt.

Definitely contact the owner and see what they say. They might sell her cheap but if she's already sick that might be a dead end literally. If they say you can have her get something in writing. If you have a county livestock officer or human society you might contact them if the owner won't come get her. If you don't have any officials willing to help I would cut the fence and run her butt back through.

If they won't come after her I would set up some panels start feeding some cubes and catch her and try to give her a shot.I hate to see them suffer and not do anything about it.Some people shouldn't have animals.

Get a picture of her abscess.
then call the owner- tell him he has two days to either get the cow .
Or sell her to you for a decent price(in case she dies,feed and doctoring costs)- so you can treat her.
Then tell him on day three you will be sending the photo to the humane society with documentation(landowner corroboration when she showed up and that she called) just to protect yourself from animal abuse charges.

If hes not an idiot he'll jump to do something.If he wanted her I would insist on him tranking and dragging her out- so as to not rile your cows up in this heat. He lost his time to set up a pen and break them to it to catch her.

Odds are you can get someone in to trank her, drain the abscess and give long acting antibiotics-- $200 ought to cover it. and it ought to be an easy cure.
As hot as it is do not get the cow riled up trying to get a shot- ambush her somewhere.

Let's see a pic.

On a side note, cows are really tough -- if she acts fine right now I doubt she'll be dead any time soon. An abscess of that size on the shoulder would kill a horse, but the cow probably won't miss a beat. He has 2000 animals; he is probably well aware of that. Might be he's waiting to get her off until you get your cows off the pasture; easier for you to cut one pair back than for him to cut one pair out of the herd and load her on the trailer.

I wouldn't worry about her. I'd send the owner a bill for her portion of the rent you paid on the ground and forget about her until they come handle her.
Cows are exceptionally resilliant. They wall off infections that would kill other animals as was already stated. I can't tell you how many times I've stuck my arm into a "normal" dairy cow to find a pile of scar tissue where there used to be a uterus and yet they milk away and look as healthy as any other cow. If she were on her side of the fence she'd likely get no more treatment than she's getting now.
And, like milkmaid said, it's likely that they aren't thinking about one cow. I don't think about one cow with my nieghbors and I only have a hundred... It's expected that they'll get mixed up... You just need to be a gracious neighbor and let them know that she's there and give them time to work on it. Next year it might be your cattle on them.
I'd bet that if you pointed out that you weren't one of the larger guys in the area and you were concerned then their level of concern might bump up a little.

Thank you for all your replies. I did talk to my vet and he said she would probably lose body condition first and sometimes the abcess will break itself, but would still need to be treated. He advised after we load up our cattle (in 4 weeks), try and get the cow/calf in the corral and call the owner and tell him to come get them. I will go out in the pasture within the next couple of days and check to see if she is still in the pasture, will take a picture. Spoke to the landowner yesterday, said he called the owners again. Owner said he would send a couple of cowboys over. Not sure I like that idea, don't want my heavy bred cows being stressed, especially in this heat. I am located in Kansas... Will keep you posted...Thanks again!

ksutmc":4acysbie said:
Owner said he would send a couple of cowboys over. Not sure I like that idea, don't want my heavy bred cows being stressed, especially in this heat. I am located in Kansas... Will keep you posted...Thanks again!

If they're *good* hands they'll cut that pair out and your cows will never notice. If not... well, incompetence at its finest is not real fun to watch.

Easiest answer for you both is for you to cut the fence and chase them back through.

Cows go through fences. It is just what they do. I would not upset the neighbour because, as others said before, it is likely his "cowboys" will be finding your cows wandering around their place some time. If you keep cattle next door to someone with 2000 cows (like I do) I would make your cows very easy for his staff to identify - like big name tags with name and phone number. Otherwise he could ship your cows without even noticing.

His cows health is his problem on his side of the fence.
There is a saying that "no good deed goes unpunished" so remember it if you think about doctoring his cow. Are you doing him a favour if you get kicked in the head trying to either load it or give it antibiotics?

Went out to check our girls this morning and the cow/calf is still in the pasture. The knot on the cow is smaller than last Sunday, probably now is 6 inches in diameter. You can see where the knot appears to be draining a little. Did not get a pic, camera battery was dead, grrrrr. Anyways, the landowner made it clear to the owner he did not want cowboys with horses on the property since our cows are approx 8-9 weeks from calving, which made me feel better. Landowner was ok with leaving the cow/calf in since they were hanging close with ours. The plan (my plan) is to try and separate the cow/calf off when we load ours out to take home. However, I hope to take our vet on a road trip sometime and see if he think she is worthy to purchase (really cheap) and doctor if the transaction would happen. Course this is my thought, hubby thinks differently! Amazes me that people do not keep closer tabs on their cattle, but obviously I have a small herd, not 2000 head. I realize crap happens and cattle can easily end up on the wrong side of the fence, and...that is ok. But..I guarantee if that was my cow I would be on top of getting her on the appropriate side. No hard feelings on my side, the concern was for the cow that I thought needed medical attention.