Need advise on golpher plowing

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
Time to pick your brain again. I have a golpher plow untill sundown Sunday and I need to know what kind of pattern to plow and how much bait to use per acer. Any help would be appreciated.

thanksk,

fg

Wasps, bees, gophers. What's next , locusts?

Sorry I'm no help but what is a gopher plow?

A tractor attachment that cuts a small furrow in the ground, deposits the gopher poison and then covers it up. Poison used around her is milo laced with syrichnine (sp). Works very well but a few seed will always fall on top of the ground and get a bird here and there. Like most other things it works best if the neighbor will also treat his fields.

I'm the gopher trapping Queen on our ranch!! The good thing is that the local county/township pays bounty on the front paws. $3 per pair. I made some good money last spring/summer/fall trapping the dang things and then gave all the proceeds to a cancer fundraiser for my sister-in-law who was battling breast cancer.

I definitely made a big dent in the population in our hayfields and my stepson's soybean fields.

I guess knifing anyhydrous into the land will also kill some of them.

I have used strychnine-laced grain in the past but almost lost one of my dogs when she got snoopy and ate just a few grains of it.... she was ONE SICK PUP!! :(

Don't know if this stuff is still available but it's called Calcium Carbide and is a really good gopher getter (works on moles too). EPA or homeland security may have banned it. This stuff is what the miners used to fuel their lamps while in the mines. The way to use it is uncover the "run" (hole) and spoon in a couple of tablespoons of the Calcium Carbide. Place a piece of cardboard over the hole to keep it from caving in. Cover the mound up and pour on about a quart of water. When the water hits the Carbide it generates Acetylene gas which spreads throughout the entire run and kills everything. Doesn't hurt the dirt. Good luck.

lavacarancher":1xqqoyx8 said:
Don't know if this stuff is still available but it's called Calcium Carbide and is a really good gopher getter (works on moles too). EPA or homeland security may have banned it. This stuff is what the miners used to fuel their lamps while in the mines. The way to use it is uncover the "run" (hole) and spoon in a couple of tablespoons of the Calcium Carbide. Place a piece of cardboard over the hole to keep it from caving in. Cover the mound up and pour on about a quart of water. When the water hits the Carbide it generates Acetylene gas which spreads throughout the entire run and kills everything. Doesn't hurt the dirt. Good luck.
I still have a couple of carbide lights. We used them for yrs coonhunting carried a pill bottle full of carbide and a 1/2 pint whiskey bottle of water

Latest posts