need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

gertfan

Reaction score
our son's heifer that calved last thurs has a back teat that is huge, I mean huge and the calf can 't get ahold of it. I have told my husband that isn't normal and should take her down to the head gate and open that one up before it goes bad. he says it will be fine. any advice?? or am i just worrying too much?

It isn't unusual for a calf to be only sucking 3 or even 2 teats for the first week or so after they are born. They get in the habit of sucking the same teats, and until they need more milk, they will usually stay on them. When he gets bigger and hungrier he will get ahold of the other teat. Post a pic, but I have seen calves get ahold of some awfully huge teats.

It depends on what you consider huge. Is it the size of a coke can or just the neck of a coke bottle?

dun

I have one the same way. The calf always gets on it eventually.

But one thing to consider. This problem can be past along to offspring, so you really should not keep any heifers (or bulls) from her as replacements.

We have had several in the past with the "banana" teat.
The calf will eventually get on it. I have culled most of my
older cows with this problem. ;-)

i have had them go 2 weeks with no ill effects, as everyone has said as they get a bigger appitite they wiill tackle the big one.

As previously stated by others, time will resolve the issue. As long as the calf can suck a couple of teats now, just wait a week or so then it'll be banging on all 4 cylinders. Since udder characteristics are highly hereditable I would think long and hard about keeping heifers out that gal.

well we drained it on wed and it's fine . I didn't get a chance to read the replies until now.

Latest posts