Need Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow":1e8961fk said:
Your baby needs your help. Obviously, the cow isn't going to do it. I'd put him somewhere protected. Somewhere the temp is controlled so he doesn't have to expend energy keeping warm. Maybe in your house or a warming box. Dehydration is the first problem. Everything else that's bad happens because of it. Small feedings several hours apart. Overfeeding is as bad as underfeeding. I've had fantastic luck with Pedia-lyte to restore dehydrated baby calves. Grocery stores sell it in the infant section.
Then, I'd get the cow in and give the rip a ride to town. You are doing her job. No reason to reward her unless you want to go through this again next year. There's more cows-no reason to prop one up that won't do the one thing she need to do.
Not trying to sound rough. I've been where you are and it's no fun. I had a lot of trouble last spring with a heifer not wanting her calf. Finally gave up and sold the heifer. This year I was picking replacements and a really nice heifer caught my eye. I sorted her off to keep but realized she was a sister to "THAT ONE"-no way was I going to take a chance.

No I totally agree and she is going for a ride. I gave the calf some milk replacer this morning and he seems to be doing pretty good considering everything he has been through. You mentioned Pedia-lyte in your post. How much do I need to give him and how often? I am going to try one more time this evening with the cow in the head gate to try to make something happen. Not getting my hopes up but anything is possible. If he doesn't get anything from her I will give him a bottle. Do I give him the Pedia-lyte then or should I give it at another time?

PediaLyte is certainly good, in a pinch, I've used it a time or two. I gave the small bottle, about 8 to 16 oz (don't remember the size of the small one) at one "feeding". Wait about an hour, then give some milk replacer. A few hours later, give another 'serving' of Pedialyte. Few more hours, milk replacer. Do not over-do on the milk replacer. Increase the amounts gradually.

As for replacer, use the best you can afford, made from all milk product. I always used Land-O-Lakes 'Cow's Match'. Years ago I used Calf-Maker, but my calves did better on the Cow's Match.

Congratulations that you've got the calf drinking from the bottle! That in itself is a huge accomplishment. Hang in there.

Last night after pretty much forcing him to suck he finally decided to do it on his own without any help. I left them together in the barn last night and separated them this morning. This evening about 5 I put the cow back in with him and he went right to her to suck. I watched him for about 30 minutes and he was getting milk almost the whole time. So they are together tonight and if he continues to nurse on his own then I will turn them back out into the pasture field for the calf to hopefully grow some before I give them a ride to town.

Well this is the post that I was really hoping not to have to post. The calf died sometime early this morning. He was doing so some better and was nursing on his own and finally starting to get some strength. Then around noon yesterday I noticed he wasn't doing as good and when I got to looking I guess he had developed the scours. So I went to the vets office and they gave me a shot to give to the calf.

Between me leaving the farm and getting back I believe he had got some milk cause he was doing a little better. I gave him the shot just like the vet said and it was like all the life was sucked out of him instantly. So I put him back in with his mommy and kept an eye on them until I went to sleep. I woke up and went to check on him around 6 and he was dead then.

I wanted to take this moment to say thank you for all the support and the advice. I know I don't know any personally but I am still thankful.

coalcreekfarms10":kce4wjxq said:
Well this is the post that I was really hoping not to have to post. The calf died sometime early this morning. He was doing so some better and was nursing on his own and finally starting to get some strength. Then around noon yesterday I noticed he wasn't doing as good and when I got to looking I guess he had developed the scours. So I went to the vets office and they gave me a shot to give to the calf.

Between me leaving the farm and getting back I believe he had got some milk cause he was doing a little better. I gave him the shot just like the vet said and it was like all the life was sucked out of him instantly. So I put him back in with his mommy and kept an eye on them until I went to sleep. I woke up and went to check on him around 6 and he was dead then.

I wanted to take this moment to say thank you for all the support and the advice. I know I don't know any personally but I am still thankful.
Coal Creek, I'm so very sorry about your calf. It know it hurts, & I wish there was some way to ease your pain.You did all you could, & then some. Prayers for you. :heart:

Latest posts