Need advice/opinions/help

Help Support CattleToday:

50/50Farms

Reaction score
Family member contacted me, her hereford cow is down. Fever, shivering, won't get up at all. They had a goat present with the same symptoms plus bloody nasal discharge 3 days ago, and it died. I'm several states away right now and can't go look. I told her it sounds like something upper respiratory, possibly pneumonia but I can't say without seeing and recommended something with banamine in it like Resflor. They have Terr-Vet 200 and got ahold of some Tylan and that's about it for what they have. Large animal vet doesn't do weekends and there's no telling what time tomorrow. Any ideas, suggestions, information, etc would help.

Family member contacted me, her hereford cow is down. Fever, shivering, won't get up at all. They had a goat present with the same symptoms plus bloody nasal discharge 3 days ago, and it died. I'm several states away right now and can't go look. I told her it sounds like something upper respiratory, possibly pneumonia but I can't say without seeing and recommended something with banamine in it like Resflor. They have Terr-Vet 200 and got ahold of some Tylan and that's about it for what they have. Large animal vet doesn't do weekends and there's no telling what time tomorrow. Any ideas, suggestions, information, etc would help.
Sounds like your on the right track with the Resflor.
You said cow. How old? Like mature cow? Or yearling, or just a bovine?
It usually takes a lot to wear a mature cow down to the point of fever and being down.
Short of i.v.ing her with Dextrose and giving antibiotics. I'd offer her some water and cover her up with a canvas or old blanket. Got to try and keep her warm.
I'd be blowing up the vets phone first thing in the morning.
Good luck.

Sounds like your on the right track with the Resflor.
You said cow. How old? Like mature cow? Or yearling, or just a bovine?
It usually takes a lot to wear a mature cow down to the point of fever and being down.
Short of i.v.ing her with Dextrose and giving antibiotics. I'd offer her some water and cover her up with a canvas or old blanket. Got to try and keep her warm.
I'd be blowing up the vets phone first thing in the morning.
Good luck.
Cow, real squat Hereford mama with a just about weaned calf, I think she's about 2-3. It's been a rough go for her, she had a rough pregnancy and calving but birthed a healthy calf and recovered well, then with the peak of the drought driving hay and feed prices up, her condition has been a little lacking. I saw her about three or four weeks ago, I'd say she was doing fine them, though. I also recommended the shelter and water.

And yes, vet will be getting contacted tomorrow. They couldn't get any resflor, but will use what they have until then. Thank you!

Anthrax

Infected animals may stagger, have difficulty breathing, tremble, and finally collapse and die within a few hours. Sometimes animals may have a fever and a period of excitement followed by staggering, depression, unconsciousness (lacking awareness), difficulty breathing, seizures, and death.

Not likely... just something everyone should be aware of.

Meningitis

Animals with meningitis will show signs of central nervous system disease that may vary depending on the location, extent and severity of damage. Signs may include head tilt, circling, ataxia, hyperaesthesia, neck rigidity, blindness, seizures, coma and death.

Meningitis

Animals with meningitis will show signs of central nervous system disease that may vary depending on the location, extent and severity of damage. Signs may include head tilt, circling, ataxia, hyperaesthesia, neck rigidity, blindness, seizures, coma and death.
Cow's finally eating a small bit and sitting up, has milky respiratory discharge, I don't think meningitis quite fits the bill but I'll pass this along and I appreciate you.

Diagnosing a cow over the internet with second hand information is a bit like doing brain surgery with a roto-tiller.

Anything I've suggested should be taken as facetious.

Bird flu

• Sudden death with no prior signs.
  • Low energy or appetite.
  • Purple discoloration or swelling of various body parts.
  • Reduced egg production, or soft-shelled/misshapen eggs.
  • Nasal discharge, coughing, or sneezing.
  • Lack of coordination.
  • Diarrhea.

All in all, I'm thinking this is fairly likely to be the usual seasonal culprits. Cold, upper respiratory, possibly pneumonia but I don't think so. I told her it's probably one of these, but also that I'd reach out and get extra opinions from here simply because of the distance involved and me not being there. Just kinda getting extra stuff spitballed to cover all bases. There's not a single tree on the property qualified to hold the title and not a real windbreak either, so I told her my biggest thing other than shooting her up was getting her sheltered or covered. The wind'll about cut ya half in two on their place. They have a loafing shed for the cows, she said when her husband gets there they'll try to move her and if not they'll rig a tarp shelter and get her covered and shoot her up. Vet to be called in the AM, but I told her there's always a chance of the morning bringing a pleasant surprise. I hope it's nothing more than I've been able to tell her, she dotes on her critters.

Diagnosing a cow over the internet with second hand information is a bit like doing brain surgery with a roto-tiller.

Anything I've suggested should be taken as facetious.

Bird flu

• Sudden death with no prior signs.
  • Low energy or appetite.
  • Purple discoloration or swelling of various body parts.
  • Reduced egg production, or soft-shelled/misshapen eggs.
  • Nasal discharge, coughing, or sneezing.
  • Lack of coordination.
  • Diarrhea.
Can I feed a cow crushed oyster shells to get better cow egg shells?

All in all, I'm thinking this is fairly likely to be the usual seasonal culprits. Cold, upper respiratory, possibly pneumonia but I don't think so. I told her it's probably one of these, but also that I'd reach out and get extra opinions from here simply because of the distance involved and me not being there. Just kinda getting extra stuff spitballed to cover all bases. There's not a single tree on the property qualified to hold the title and not a real windbreak either, so I told her my biggest thing other than shooting her up was getting her sheltered or covered. The wind'll about cut ya half in two on their place. They have a loafing shed for the cows, she said when her husband gets there they'll try to move her and if not they'll rig a tarp shelter and get her covered and shoot her up. Vet to be called in the AM, but I told her there's always a chance of the morning bringing a pleasant surprise. I hope it's nothing more than I've been able to tell her, she dotes on her critters.
If they can't get her moved, maybe stack some bales around her for a wind break.

Well really all you can recommend is to stick her with what they have to hand. I hope she continues to improve.

Ken
Waiting for them to get back to me again, I'll let y'all know.

Did they take her temperature?
Yes, I'd have to go back and look to see her rectal temp.

I guess getting another vet isn't an option?
No sir

Hopefully, lesson learned.
View attachment 25619
Goats aren't all bad.

Latest posts