Need advice on trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

DAE

Reaction score
Need some advice from those who know:
I have a SLT Plus Dodge 1/2 ton short bed Club cab (5.7L, Hemi, Magnum, etc) that I really need to put a hitch on to pull one of our two trailers. Would it be better to set it up for the bumper hitch or gooseneck cattle trailers? Both our 16 ft. (goose is new, bumper one is a "hand me down") Our full ton work truck is having some work done on it and is out of commission (What can I say, it is a Ford HAHA) Anyone have any experience with 1/2 ton Dodge's pulling trailers and actually stopping and not "roll through" stops?? Any info. would be helpful.

FWIW - How do you think it would do with a 24 ft. trailer? I think I know the answer to that question.............

when needed i pull my 20ft goosenet steel trailer with her 1500 dodge v8 truck. the stopping is fine if you plan for it. i would not expect alot with a 24ft fully loaded trailer. yes it can be done but quick stops would be tough and dangerous.

My wife has a 2005 Dodge short bed quad cab with gas 5.7 Hemi. She pulls a 16' stock trailer using a frame mounted (catagory 3 ?) hitch and also has overload rear springs on truck. No problem pulling fully loaded trailer. Gets about 8-9 mpg with loaded trailer on interstate hauls.

If you're planning on pulling a 24' loaded trailer, I think you would need at least a 3/4 Ton truck, otherwise you might have to hook up a gas pump to the truck...lol. As you know, a lot also depends on the terrain you'd be hauling in.

Personally, I wouldn't want to try to pull a 20 or 24' loaded stock trailer with a 1/2 Ton. JMO.

if it was me id put the bumper pull on the 1500 dodge.because rigging it up to pull the goose will cost you about $600 or more for the hitch.

bigbull338":3e9fkfc3 said:
if it was me id put the bumper pull on the 1500 dodge.because rigging it up to pull the goose will cost you about $600 or more for the hitch.

That is a good point. Depending on the distance you have to pull though it might be worth the $600. You are not going to go any where fast with the bumper pull.

The truck will handle the goose. Lots of people do it. If you do it go ahead a spend another $100 to get overload springs. It makes alot of difference. Buddy pulls a 24' around all the time with a 1/2 Chevy, he does day work. It is a chevy though... :lol:

Does the trailer have brakes?

jvicars":2cnvwxn4 said:
when needed i pull my 20ft goosenet steel trailer with her 1500 dodge v8 truck. the stopping is fine if you plan for it. i would not expect alot with a 24ft fully loaded trailer. yes it can be done but quick stops would be tough and dangerous.

It's never the planned stopping that gets you. Call me chicken, there is no way I'm latching onto a loaded stock trailer with a half ton truck unless the trailer has great brakes. Even then I'd have to think hard about it. There is no comparing the extra weight, brake diameters and stopping power of 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. It only takes one bad stop to ruin your day, or more.

Latest posts