need advice on cold weather

Help Support CattleToday:

andrews29

Reaction score
hello everyone we have the coldest weather since i have had cows hitting us. we have about 4 or 5 inches of snow with a high of 0 today and -15 called for tonight. i have increased the hay and cake that cows and calves are getting also putting down straw bedding. they all have a 3 side shelter that they can go in. the calves are running about 500 pounds and the cows are due in april if this helps.

Where are you located at?

What breed(s) of cattle do you have? Where are they from (did you buy them locally)? I have read that cows in more northern climates develop a thicker skin to deal with the harsher weather. I have also been told certain breeds hold up better than others in northern climates.

What BCS or condition are they in? Fat cows will not have any problems with those temps. Thin cows will require more attention.

What kind of hay?

We have rain right now, but it will be snow by tomorrow and then down to the teens and single digits after that. The problem I have is the rain will soak them and then it will get cold. That is hard on cows. Might even be worse than -15, if they are dry. I suspect they will be fine if you are taking good care of them. Might make chores a little rough the next few days :cowboy:

andrews29":f5no45dz said:
hello everyone we have the coldest weather since i have had cows hitting us. we have about 4 or 5 inches of snow with a high of 0 today and -15 called for tonight. i have increased the hay and cake that cows and calves are getting also putting down straw bedding. they all have a 3 side shelter that they can go in. the calves are running about 500 pounds and the cows are due in april if this helps.
Sounds like you've done about all you can do unless you have a barn to put them all in...fill up their bellies, give them a windbreak and check on them in the morning.

they are black angus and herefords. they were rasied here in Colorado and i would say they are in good shape

andrews29":2565995i said:
they are black angus and herefords. they were rasied here in Colorado and i would say they are in good shape
They'll be fine....did forget to mention "water".

Make sure they have access to water. They won't eat the way they should if they don't have access to adequate water. Keeping a full belly is important when it gets cold out. As long as they have a windbreak, feed and bedding you should be good to go.

andrews29":20qks4ie said:

My cows want to stay at your place for the rest of the winter :nod:

andrews29":1ot2adxi said:

Angus and herefords are some pretty tough cattle. sounds like you are doing a real good job taking care of them. I wouldn't worry about 'em. Calving in the -15 weather can be different. Might want to ask the folks from Canada for tips and tricks on that :lol:

we got trees for them to go into here much past that there on thier own. when gets real cold we give a little extra cake before hand and maybe some straw to eat. otherwise only put out straw in the creek if they are calving and it gets cold and snowy

Lon":10uatzxx said:
we got trees for them to go into here much past that there on thier own. when gets real cold we give a little extra cake before hand and maybe some straw to eat. otherwise only put out straw in the creek if they are calving and it gets cold and snowy
What part of the country, world are you in?
If folks would put their location over on the right by where the avatar area is, it would make it easier for us to understand and kind of know you a litle better.

Now, another question, Why would you want to put straw in a creek? Wouldn't it just get wet and soggy?

I notice that you are kind of new to the boards. Hope the members here can maybe help you if you need it as well as learn from you.

Welcome aboard.

I have some bred heifers and yearling bulls in a pole shed, and deep bedding there can reduce energy needed by up to 30%.

The cows and calves bed down in snow and red willows when it gets cold. Lowest temp so far this year was -40 F.

Latest posts