Need advice on 5 day old

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm

Reaction score
Hello all, I need some advice please. Had a calf 5 days ago seen the baby nurse at first then it was always sleeping. Mother talks to it grooms it but I still don't see it nurse. Mother's bag is full but not in gorged and the. Baby poped yesterday and I found more poop today. I watched it all day did not see it nurse . Other calfs nurse every time they get up. This calf walks around but no happy dance.worried!!

Holmesfarm":1itzijvz said:
Hello all, I need some advice please. Had a calf 5 days ago seen the baby nurse at first then it was always sleeping. Mother talks to it grooms it but I still don't see it nurse. Mother's bag is full but not in gorged and the. Baby poped yesterday and I found more poop today. I watched it all day did not see it nurse . Other calfs nurse every time they get up. This calf walks around but no happy dance.worried!!

Do you mean the calf doing a dance and playing ? I don't see half of mine nurse but they make it just fine. I tend to give my calves shot of selenium when born.

Holmesfarm":34rga7xy said:

From what you said I think everything is okay. If it wasn't able to get up, I'd worry. I have some calves that seem to be nursing every time I look at them, and some that I never see nurse, and they're all doing fine.

Newborns do not nurse for very long so it can be hard to catch them nursing. A friend once gave me great advice, for me it was great, look at the cows teats if she has some clean teats the calf is trying or is nursing. At five days I would think you would know by the calls health if it wasn't getting milk. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you for the advice. Going to put mother and calf together tonight again and see if there is more poop tomorrow.I would feel alot better after I see it nurse. It did not do a happy dance.

Holmesfarm":dsn50jd8 said:
Thank you for the advice. Going to put mother and calf together tonight again and see if there is more poop tomorrow.I would feel alot better after I see it nurse. It did not do a happy dance.

You have them separated now? If they've been separated for any length of time I'd expect the calf to nurse immediately after they're turned back together.

some calves are just lumps. Sleep a lot the first week or so and never really participate in the frolic with the other calves. Others never seem to rest and are always full of themselves playing all the time. A lot like people

dun":h6gy8q3c said:
some calves are just lumps. Sleep a lot the first week or so and never really participate in the frolic with the other calves. Others never seem to rest and are always full of themselves playing all the time. A lot like people

:nod:

That's how mine are.

Just a update on the 5day old calf that I never saw nurse. Day 6 caught him stealing off of one of the other cows. Put his mom in the head gate and all of her teats were blocked her bag was soft not engorged I think she was losing her milk because he wasn't sucking on her. Got them all working and milked her out.two hours later her bag was full.back in the head gate and got the baby to nurse her now he is nursing all four quarters , mother and baby and me are happy now. Thank you for being there when I needed you all.

Holmesfarm":30gx0ub7 said:
Just a update on the 5day old calf that I never saw nurse. Day 6 caught him stealing off of one of the other cows. Put his mom in the head gate and all of her teats were blocked her bag was soft not engorged I think she was losing her milk because he wasn't sucking on her. Got them all working and milked her out.two hours later her bag was full.back in the head gate and got the baby to nurse her now he is nursing all four quarters , mother and baby and me are happy now. Thank you for being there when I needed you all.

Good for you. It's nice when things work out. Maybe he will grow like a weed now.

I have locked calf away from mom over night and put together in morning. Only when they are old enough and seem to have energy though... If nursing, that next morning they are going straight for that good stuff.

Latest posts