NCBA

Help Support CattleToday:

Ostater

Reaction score
Would you recommend a person just starting out to join NCBA? I'm considering it.

I am not a member and do not have an opinion either way but please tell your opinion as to why it is not worthwhile. I just dont know enough about the good and bad to form an opinion.

i sent my dues in for several years.. but i don't anymore.. i really don't know why... just seems like they are not for the little cattleman... maybe i'm wrong....

If you are just starting out there are probably more important things to spend your money on. Once you are well established joining a cattlemens organization makes more sence. But even then I would look more to a state or local organization.

if remember right they are a proponent of R-CALF
just so you southern guys know, texas and southwest cattle raisers assoc. is affliated with ncba

cross_7":27wczpor said:

Who is a proponent of R-CALF? The only organization mentioned here is NCBA and they sure aren't a proponent of R-CALF.

Dave":2a8rt1gc said:
cross_7":2a8rt1gc said:

Who is a proponent of R-CALF? The only organization mentioned here is NCBA and they sure aren't a proponent of R-CALF.

sorry your right
i remembered something about ncba and R-CALf just had it backwards

John SD":1uq6hzbg said:
I've let all my dues lapse to both organizations but I would rejoin R-CALF or USCA before I would join NCBA.

I find NCBA to be too close to the packers for my taste. R-CALF is to radical and sue happy for me. I like the middle of the road approach of USCA. I met and talked to their executive director (I can't remember his name right now) and I was certainly impressed.

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I'm going to join our state association, for networking potential.

Dave":qiq7b2pm said:
John SD":qiq7b2pm said:
I've let all my dues lapse to both organizations but I would rejoin R-CALF or USCA before I would join NCBA.

I find NCBA to be too close to the packers for my taste. R-CALF is to radical and sue happy for me. I like the middle of the road approach of USCA. I met and talked to their executive director (I can't remember his name right now) and I was certainly impressed.

I agree. I believe Jon Wooster is the current USCA president.

I met newly appointed R-CALF director Chuck Kiker and R-CALF founder Leo McDonnel at a R-CALF meeting in Ft Pierre before the big blowup that led to their ouster from R-CALF and the formation of USCA.

I personally handed my last R-CALF membership renewal check to Leo at that meeting, and haven't paid dues since.

R-CALF director Johnny Smith was always quite opinionated but I always felt he was straight up with me and I considered him a personal friend. Not so sure about some of the others on the board at R-CALF. Especially after they booted Leo and the others out.

http://www.uscattlemen.org

Chuck was the president of our local cattleman's association . I wasn't impressed with that group either .