NCBA marketing question

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeff, I hear ya on cooking it at home. I'm much more likely to order fish when going out. I pick a steer for home every year and don't buy it at the store either. The price is tons better. I wish I could market straight to the consumer about 20 steers a year that way. They'd be better off, and so would I. As it is, producers have the NCBA to handle marketing to the consumer. Though not perfect, I gotta say they do a pretty dang good job.

PW,

Your post got me thinking. I do a lot of travelling and eating out this time of year in my "day job". As a beef producer, I try to order beef in a meal.

I have to admit that after a long day I don't want any surprises. I don't frequent high end steak houses but do look for local non-chain places. I tend to order what I know.

The biggest problem I have is that I like beef well done and it is very difficult to find a place with someone in the kitchen who knows how to cook a piece of beef! Esp well done. I have had wonderful well done steaks, but those are few. Most places want to cook even the best cut so quickly that it ends up like charcoal on the outside and still has to be sent back to the kitchen to get the center done.

After reading your post I will try to order someof the lesser known cuts.

Any chef type hints for how to order a well done steak that doesn't come to the table like charcoal?

Thanks for the interesting thread.

SRBeef":35kr8m75 said:
PW,

Your post got me thinking. I do a lot of travelling and eating out this time of year in my "day job". As a beef producer, I try to order beef in a meal.

I have to admit that after a long day I don't want any surprises. I don't frequent high end steak houses but do look for local non-chain places. I tend to order what I know.

The biggest problem I have is that I like beef well done and it is very difficult to find a place with someone in the kitchen who knows how to cook a piece of beef! Esp well done. I have had wonderful well done steaks, but those are few. Most places want to cook even the best cut so quickly that it ends up like charcoal on the outside and still has to be sent back to the kitchen to get the center done.

After reading your post I will try to order someof the lesser known cuts.

Any chef type hints for how to order a well done steak that doesn't come to the table like charcoal?

Thanks for the interesting thread.

This is just my opinion but why well done. It seems to me that well done steaks are usually tough and dry I personally love rare/ medium rare just a little past rare I want it pink juicy and warm in the middle. I think it is harder to find a place to cook one that way than well done. Never send a steak back it will be not good:)

Jeff

SRBeef,

I hear ya on the well done. It is not my personal preference, but I do have some tips since it is yours.
When ordering at a restaurant ask for the thinnest cut possible. Almost all steak restaurants cut to weight, not to thickness. Most chefs would be happy to be able to use the thinner cuts for an eater that appreciates well done. Even more importantly, let the server know that you don't want it too charred on the outside even though you want it well done. Ask for them to put it on the lowest flame possible on the grill or broiler. You may even want to consider asking for it to be only briefly started on the grill and then finished in the oven. A big help to getting your order the way you want it is to also let your server know you understand it will take up to ten minutes longer than normal cooking times to get it the way you like it, but you value the eating experience more than the time. This is important because it will ensure they don't microwave it, or worse yet (and I've seen it done) drop it in the fryer.

I get really ticked off at servers, cooks, and chefs that think a person that likes well done meat just doesn't care about how it gets cooked through. It is very typical for chefs at steak restaurants to get irate that someone would want well done on the fabulous beef they have to offer. My view is that if the beef is so fabulous, it will be fabulous no matter how much you cook it. I am here to make sure it is cooked the way the PAYING customer wants it cooked. If you like well done, more power to ya. Thank you for choosing our restaurant to eat the meat you are spending your hard earned dollars on.

Thanks for the information -

I don't want mine red or even pink in the middle...don't know why...some folks like apples some like oranges. But shouldn't matter to the cook how I order it - I'm paying the bill so you cook it the best you can. And if a restaurant wants me to come back they will try to get the center done without delivering a piece of charcoal on my plate.

Occasionally depending on the cut I will tell them it's ok to butterfly it.
I think the main issue as you point out is time - that they know I am willing to wait a few minutes more.

you hit on the key - sear the outside to seal in the juices then cook longer over lower heat to get the center done.

Thanks for the info,interesting thread and best of luck in your ranching endeavor!