Navel on a week old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

I've had some that dangle like that for a while. Usually it's from calves that the mother or sire have extra leather. Brahma influence.

Can't say by the pics....

But u can feel around up by her belly and see if there is a hole near her umbilical where it comes out of her belly, Indicating a hernia.

Not sure about her momma, she's black and looks like high % of angus , sire is a AI bull we raised out of Deer Valley All In . We didn't register him but he's purebred Angus .

Well I doubt it is navel ill in a fresh-born calf. As many have said here... feel it and see if there is material inside. If there is, can you push the material back up into the body cavity? That would be a hernia, probably from a development issue, and not that uncommon. If you can push the guts inside up, I wouldn't be afraid to do that and band the extra skin as though banding a bull calf's nut sack. Just be sure you get all the "stuff" inside pushed up before you do it.

Haven't caught her but I will this next week . Just so many hours in a day and this old guy is about spread to his limits . I thought retirement was going to be a lot of free time ? 🤔😳

Latest posts