native grass

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus":3jwai9b3 said:
I have bahia grass creeping into my pastures more and more all the time. I think it is a domestic grass. Bahia seems to be more drought tolerant...it was tested in 2005...and doesn't seem to need as much fertilizer. You have much experience with it?

Bahia grass is considered to be indigenous to southern Brazil and the Americas. It is now distributed throughout the southern USA, Central and South America, parts of Australia, Asia and Africa (Baki).

About 10% of our pasture is in switchgrass. We planted it in 2000. Last year it was looking weak and broadleaves were taking over. So after a June grazing we hit it with 2-4D and fertilized with nitrogen. It responded beautifully. We rotationally graze and up to this year we only got one good grazing a year from it. I just pulled the cows from it yesterday and as soon as it quits raining we'll hit it with 2-4D and N. We expect to get another grazing this year. It will probably take several more years to get to a top notch stand. That is the biggest problem with native grasses, the time required to develop a good stand.

The benefits from switchgrass:
it can tolerate extremely wet soil conditions for a couple weeks at a time. The field we planted had been in rowcrops but needed extensive tile replacement to continue with rowcrops.
it can tolerate hot dry spells in the summer, and still grow.
the cows & calves find it palatable and gain weight on it.

An unexpected benefit:
The state DNR traps quail in that field in the winter and releases them to other areas of Ohio in repopulation attempts. With rotational grazing quail and pheasants reproduce very well on our farm, and use the switchgrass for winter cover as well as spring nesting.

Anybody got any Eastern Gamagrass?

There was a guy at our farm store yesterday promoting it, had some pictures of his fields and offered to take people out there. He said gamagrass could tolerate wet soils, anyone know for sure? Thought about trying a test plot.

Neigbor has 15 acres of it. After 4 years you can barely drive across it it's so rough from the rhizoms forming on top of the soil. He used to hay it, now it's strictly grazing for his dry cows.

dun

Latest posts