National Finals

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
Any one going to the NFR this year? I haven't been since 2001 but I am going back this year.

never been,, but use to not miss a go round on TV ... now it like im side lined ...use to calfrope,,, need to get back to team roping before im to old, to even do that :cowboy:

Isomade":2bmyrqog said:
Any one going to the NFR this year? I haven't been since 2001 but I am going back this year.
Nope, can't go. But we have a couple young guys from here that have qualified for NFR Team Roping: The Minor brothers. And we can brag about Shane Proctor, too; he's not too far down the road. :clap:

OK, this thread officially made me feel old. Last time I went to the NFR it was in Okie City. And the Minor Brothers and Shane Proctor that Kathy refered to..... well I knew their dads. They were calf ropers back when I was rodeoing.....

Dave":2o5yr8oe said:
OK, this thread officially made me feel old. Last time I went to the NFR it was in Okie City. And the Minor Brothers and Shane Proctor that Kathy refered to..... well I knew their dads. They were calf ropers back when I was rodeoing.....
Dave my grandpa was there in 67 when Freckles rode Tornado. What a sight to see that must have been.

Isomade":b6yi1fyq said:
Dave":b6yi1fyq said:
Dave my grandpa was there in 67 when Freckles rode Tornado. What a sight to see that must have been.

One of the guys I traveled with some in the early 70's won the world bull riding in '64 and the NFR in '64 and '66. Of course he knew Freckles. So I got to talk to Freckles several times. He impressed me. That man was certainly a cowboy. I always like a statement he made in th Rodeo Sports News. He said that when he was 4 years old he decided to be a cowboy. "And he had been trying to be one ever since." If Freckles was having to try to be one, there is no hope for the rest of us.

Dave":3tei0o06 said:
Buddy of mine I roped with some in HS was by far the best young roper going in our part of the world. He taught, or at least tried, to teach me a lot. Had not seen him in years. A few weeks ago he died.I was shocked. I did not even know he had been sick and he was only 3 years older than me.
Seemed like he was much too young to die, or maybe I'm just older than I like to think about.
When I think about it I mourn. Lost a good cowboy and a good man.
Any old friends you have been intending to go see--don't put it off.

Attended a bull riding/clown school that Freckles was one of the instructors. Knew his stuff! Always was glad for the opportunity to shake his hand and hear some words of wisdom and encouragement from him.

Isomade":2vcf4ky0 said:
Dave":2vcf4ky0 said:
he was 46 when he rode him,, trying to remember another bull rider in resent years that was in his 40's had no front teeth

he was 46 when he rode him,, trying to remember another bull rider in resent years that was in his 40's had no front teeth[/quote]

Last year I was talking to Tex Martin about watching the NFR. Tex is an old NFR veteran bronc rider from back in the late 50' and 60's. I told him that I hadn't been watching the bull riding because it was too late and I had gone to bed. He said that he turned off the bullriding too because he couldn't tell if they were cowboys or football players. I took it that Tex didn't think too highly of bullriders wearing helmuts with facemasks.

Dave":24y37gbp said:

Dave, FYI, Buck Minor, Ellensburg, passed away very recently. I PM'd you with his obit today. There was also a big story on him in the local newspaper over the weekend, which you may (or may not) be able to access at:

kvnews.com

Isomade":1429mg0k said:
Last call, any body else going?

maybe you can get somebody to take a photo of you while you are there.

find some pretty young thing and stick your head over her shoulder. :cowboy: :lol2:

pdfangus":2tbpuhmg said:
Isomade":2tbpuhmg said:

find some pretty young thing and stick your head over her shoulder. :cowboy: :lol2:
I already did that on the "Whatta ya really look like" thread, remember. :D

Isomade":3owjobrr said:
pdfangus":3owjobrr said:
Isomade":3owjobrr said:

I already did that on the "Whatta ya really look like" thread, remember. :D

yeah.....
I just wanted to see if you could get that close to two pretty girls.....
:deadhorse: :cowboy: :lol2:

leaving sunday morning at 0200 hrs, be there till wednesday, lots of fun try to go every year wife likes the shoppin only 7hr drive for us though.

Latest posts