name your breed

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
Just curious what breeds/mix/crosses/etc y'all raise and what you do with them. Cow/calf, replacement heifer, commercial, etc. I thought about a poll but I didn't want to list all the breeds so those that are interested in participating just post up. I'll start. Still undecided so this may be helpful for me.

We run Shorthorn, Hereford and Angus (black & red). Some purebred cows, and some cross breds. Try to keep the 3-way cross going. For bulls, we have been running Shorthorn, Hereford and Black Angus.

This year we have 2 Angus x Simm bulls, that we will run for terminal calves, 4 Black Angus 2 for the heifers, 2 for the Community Pasture, and one we will breed to our better cows for replacements, and 1 Hereford that we will again breed to the top end of the cows for replacements.

We have registered Herefords, polled and horned, a couple registered Shorthorns, and some red (red angus cross) and black (angus, maine for the most part) crossbred cows. We try not to get our crossbreds too crossed up selling most of the heifers that should have been steers. We have raised a couple bulls that are used AI that work well on the crossbreds. Our main goal is to raise club calves (purebreds and crossbreds). We'll calve out about 40 head this spring.
We try to raise our own replacements but are not against buying breeding cattle.
We have 2 purebred polled Hereford bulls and 1 gomer bull.

reg beefmasters both red an black.have a crossbred cow herd as well.they are hereford holstein cross.running beefmaster bull on both reg an crossbred cows.

Someb brangus and sims and a spatter of pure blooded angus but mostly commericial angus. Breed primarily to hereford bulls. Most calves go north to greener pastures but do sell some replacements to some repeat customers.

Brangus mostly, some angus and registered horned herefords. Also have so braford and some limousin/hereford cross left from my dad's herd.

Running a brangus bull on the herefords, hereford bull on the brangus (just lost the angus bull that was on them, thinking about a charolais) an angus bull on the braford, angus and limo/hereford crosses.

Cow/calf right now. Had intended to raise my own replacements but haven't kept to many yet.

I run charolais bull over beefmaster cows. Commercial. However, I bought 14 charolais heifers,in December.I also bought a young registered grey brahman bull. I plan on putting him over them next fall as a project. I know what am I thinking.

Fullblood Limousin. If they an't red there xbred. We sell a few bulls some seedstock heifers and try to market the rest to Lauras Lean.

Started 34 years ago with 20 reg Black Angus. Found out you had to show and advertise to sell reg. cattle. Got a grey reg brahma bull put with them and kept replacements. Ran 6 years with the Bra ham bulls. Then went to a South Devon for 5 years Then to limo bulls red and black then some angus and brangus. Now we have Gelbveh and going back to Black Angus. We have 5 Gelbveh Bulls and phasing them out. The Gelbveh do not sell as well at our local markets plus some other faults. We bought 25 beefmaster heifer 12 years ago have like them real well. They do well in the summer and not bad here in winter.
I guess you would call my breed of cattle mix. The have enough brahma in them you do not mess with them when they have babies and not snorty in the pens.

Mostly Black Angus, a few older limos hanging around still.
Grandpa ran hereford way before my time and I would like to head back that way and breed them to black angus bulls. At our local sale barn it is hard to beat black baldies.

We've been through a lot! My grandfather started with Highlands. Then he got a Shorthorn bull for them. Then there was the Hereford bull and some Hereford cows still had the Highland/Shorthorn crosses and some pure Higlands. Then they went to Charolais. Did that for awhile with the heifers getting Saler or Hereford bulls. If we bought the cows then were Red Angus/ Simmental . Then we got a Red Angus bull for the heifers and the heifers were having healthier calves than our older cows so we got rid of the Charolais and just had Red Angus. Now we have a few of our old commercial cows left, lots of different breeds but there are only 4 that don't really have matching calves on sale day - those are the four half Charolais.
The rest that we have now are registered Red Angus. That's what we will be continuing with. As our numbers get up the commercial will be dying off.

Right now I am running black and red angus cows with a spattering of red limi x red angus cross cows. I really like that cross. Anyway last couple of years I have been using a red angus bull. I have just purchased a Gelbvieh (black) bull to put on my cows. I plan to expand this year with the purchase of more BA or RA heifers.

Registered Brangus and commercial cattle (mixed breeds). Commercial and Brangus dams/heifers run together but are separated to different pastures and bulls (registered Brangus bull for Brangus, Commercial/Angus mix bull for commercial cattle) during breeding.

Run a traditional Fleck-type red Simm bull with mostly Simm and Simm X cows. Prefer reds with a lot of chrome. Have a couple Char/Angus, Simm/Gelbvieh (red), Simm/Angus, and four 3/4 Red Angus/ 1/4 Simm (2 red, 2 blk). I really liked the vigor of the Red Angus/Simm calves last year. Up and on teat quicker than anything we've ever had.

Commercial herd of mostly char x angus, but there's a little of everything in there somewhere. Been using angus bulls, fixin' to try a polled hereford.

Latest posts