My turn snow pics..

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
We got snow not that much so far but another 10-15 cm's are still to come overnight they say..
SNOWFALL WARNING: Red Deer - Ponoka - Innisfail - Stettler Issued at 1:57 PM MDT MONDAY 18 MAY 2009
20 TO 30 CENTIMETRES OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED.

SNOW CONTINUES TO FALL ACROSS WEST CENTRAL ALBERTA. SNOW WILL CONTINUE TODAY THROUGH TONIGHT AND BEGIN TO TAPER OFF EARLY TUESDAY MORNING FROM THE SOUTH. TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE IN THE 20 TO 30 CENTIMETRE RANGE. RED DEER HAS REPORTED 6 CM OF SNOW AS OF 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON. THE WESTERN RED DEER REGION CAN EXPECT NEAR 10 CM TODAY AND ANOTHER 10 CM TONIGHT. THE EASTERN REGION WILL NOT SEE QUITE AS MUCH SNOW IN THE OVERNIGHT PERIOD.

Hers is today had to drop a lot of straw around and feed to the max but everyone seems OK so far, I feel sorry for the guys that have to calve in this muck.:
May18_0001.jpg

May18_0002.jpg

May18_0003.jpg

This was yesterday we put up a few birdhouses that were knocked down and picked rocks that were in the hay field to be seeded.
May16_0022.jpg

May16_0023.jpg

May16_0024.jpg

Now let the sun shine and hopefully I can kick them out to pasture... :banana:

Vette, I will try to send some of this your way.. :tiphat:

I'll take whatever you can sneak down here. We did have a nice day today. High was only 80 F. Got 13 acres of hay cut and will cut another 12 tomorrow.

Hope that snow gets those pastures growing.

I think we feeling what brought ya'll the snow today. Its cold this morning at 55 degrees. Was that a oddity for this time of year? Weatherman said we were several degrees below normal.

What is the long line of telephone poles in the second picture for? Beginning of a hay barn or windbreak or what?

Jogeephus":3p8b6pgp said:
What is the long line of telephone poles in the second picture for? Beginning of a hay barn or windbreak or what?

It is the beginning of a cold storage shed and cattle shelter. Maybe one of these years we'll get it finished. Everything is here it is just a matter of getting time and hands to put it up.. :roll:

Still snow again today and right now we are at +2 c.. A lot of balling outside last night but not from mine.. :)

Now off to find hay, wish me luck.. :help:

I know you folks up there eventually get tired of the snow and cold weather but for someone that seldom sees it "I think it's beautiful"....looks like it should be on a Christmas Card.

May and still snow, I hate the stuff, fortunately ours has been and gone very rarely will we have snow this time of year. Nice photo's though, thanks for sharing.

TexasBred":1y6q656b said:
I know you folks up there eventually get tired of the snow and cold weather but for someone that seldom sees it "I think it's beautiful"....looks like it should be on a Christmas Card.

TB I lived up in ohio for 14 years and I totally disagree with you they aint nothing purty about snow.

Cal

I believe the pictures of the cows and calves where there is no snow was taken the day before.
Sometimes the ground has warmed up enough to melt the snow as if falls and it does not build up as quickly as it would if the ground was frozen or cold.

Australian":1vg38ci4 said:
Ground is very bare. Is that how it is after snow? I'd be very worried if that was the state of our paddocks. How do your cattle come out of winter? Are they poorish or ok?
Colin

Lol Colin, in places where they have temps in the -30 or -40's for long periods at a time nothing grows. Our growing season is only 4 months at best but you would be surprised at how fast it grows and how lush the fields and pastures become in a matter of days. As soon as the pastures get going the cows will be off the field they are on and moved, they will not be back there until next November at the earliest..

We do not let our cows graze year round, there are fed hay in the winter ,and they come off winter feed very well. Even in an extremely cold winter like this past one as well as last years..

The pics without snow were the day before where we finally had some nice temps in the 20's and then it dropped to -5 and snow. We are at least 2 weeks later than last year for the growing season. Hopefully this moisture will get things going and the expected high temps on the weekend as well will get things in the right direction. It is raining again today and only +5c.

We are so spoilt with our winters in our cold country as I've said before its no where near as bitter as the US or Canada. We have grass all year round. In winter we have brown grass instead of green. We have roughage which we supplement with lick blocks or loose lick type stuff.
Its still pouring rain here. We have had 67 mls since yesterday morning, 45 mls before that. We have had more than these amounts. Winds have been blowing upwards of 100k an hour. We live in a fairly easterly exposed position.Our creeks and rivers are over bridges and across some of our flat areas.
Areas to our east are awaiting major flooding.
Thanks for the explanation on your country and the pictures.

TexasBred":2779kddp said:

I agree, TB! Can you imagine that down this way? After spending a day walking in this heat, HD's pic even cools me down!

Latest posts