my town was hit by a tornado!

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
http://www.ketv.com/weather/15991478/detail.html
http://www.kolnkgin.com/home/headlines/18170969.html
http://www.kolnkgin.com/home/headlines/18186039.html
http://lincolnjournalstar.com/news/loca ... 220969.txt

was pretty scary here last night. i woke up around 12:30AM to hail pounding on my window. didnt think much about it because i knew we were in for severe weather anyway. i laid there for awhile wondering if everything was alright. i get pretty perinoid during storms. sooner or later i fell back to sleep. this morning i woke up and found out my sister didnt have school because of damage!! (sidenote: my sister goes to school in johnson while i go to tecumseh so i still had school) parents told me a tornado had touched down in johnson!! no one knew how bad it was but it still wasnt good. my dad went into johnson to see what he could see and maybe help out with clean up. on my way to school i called him to find out more information on what all happened. he told me the roof had been torn off of the new gym of the school and the bar (the bar is like the local coffee shop because johnson doenst have an actual coffee shop. so its the only farmer hang out) the insurance agency told the bar owners that without a roof and all the water damage that the building is totaled(sp?) :cry: one of the walls of the bus barn collapsed and the doors of the fire hall were off. and the lamp posts were all bent up. then he slammed me with the big news, one of our best family friends house was distroyed. my heart sank right to the floor. i was too surprised/shocked/upset to even cry. but he wasnt injured so that is the best news. once i got to school i instantly looked up news reports on the internet. shouldnt of done it. after i saw pictures my stomach was in knots and didnt feel like doing anything all day.

everything was fine outside of johnson and even from the next blocks over. which is totally amazing because johnson consists of 278 PROUD resisdence and sits on about a quarter section of land is all. i live 3 miles west of it. go there nearly everday. know everybody. honeslty, you cant help but not. this may be one of the smallest towns, but its one of the strongest. main street was the only place hit and thats where all the businesses are. the grain elevator, gas station, school bus barn, fire hall, post office, bank, grocery store, library, mortuary, t-shirt shop, meat locker, feed store, bar, laundry mat, village office, legion building and finally the school. pretty good i'd say for a town this size. and its not going downward in any means, just built a new school nearly 6 years ago. the attendance goes up every year.

nothing harmed on my farm. the winds did knock down a barn door and a few cows got out but it could have been so much worse. we got alot of rain. 3 and a half inches. its crazy wet here. its rains like every other day as it is. the terrace chanels of fields are ponds, ponds are running over, fields are flooded. its awful.

this is one of those things that you dont really think about happening to your town. but when it does, it sucks.

ive got a pic of our buddies house, but im too lazy to post it tonite. ill edit tomarrow.

I know how that goes. I spend my summers in kansas and last time I was there a tornado had touched down and tore the town apart and we lost power for the day which meant no water since the well pump runs of electricty. Clean up can take a long time. Hopefully everything will work out okay.

cl18, glad you and yours are okay. Hope your buddy and family made it through with only property damage (and that's bad enough).

Hang in there, and good luck.

I feel for you :cry: Hope the town gets back up on its feet ok.

thanks guys.

it wont take long at all to recover. business was pretty much as usual in town today. except for the bar. schools back in session monday again. thats the great thing about a small town is there aint much to worry about. lol