My take on Smoked Butts

Help Support CattleToday:

LRTX1

Reaction score
I season the meat. Quarter the taters. Throw a few onions in. Cut the BBQ sauce (spicy) with water. Pour over the meat and cover with foil. Off to the smoker for a good 3 hours. I smoke a little hotter than some do.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

More to come later.

Smoke gets in through the foil, not quite as much as without. The potatoes dont do well uncovered, they will take on too much smoke. Alot of the smoke foods are too overpowering on the smoke for my tastes, seems to give me heartburn.

I will post pictures of the smoker soon.

Looks great!
You could try using a wood that does a lighter smoke like hickory apple and maple. Oak is strong and i dont like it. Also try smoking for half hour than go to indirect heat. That will give you a lighter smoke

Looking good. Ever brined potatoes before cooking? An old lady showed me this and potatoes we're amazing.

Just out of the smoker at 4 hours. A tad longer than normal.
IMG_0745.jpg

The taters soak up all the spicyness from the sauce.
IMG_0749.jpg

Bones starting to fall out
IMG_0747.jpg

Will let you know how it goes over at the family reunion tommorow.

The smoker is pretty handy, pulls well behind the truck. Small enough to contol the heat well but, big enough to feed a lot of people. I could do 4-5 of those pans at a time. I believe I had around 30 chickens in it once.

I want to add a grate about 2-3 inches over the fire box to cook a pot of beans or a mess of greens while smoking the meat.

Had to laugh at seeing The Wall Street Journal under the pans!!! :lol:

That meal looks amazing. Your family is in for a treat tomorrow! Have fun.

Looks great LRTX ! Have a great holiday weekend with the family. :tiphat:

LOL Gale, what else good is the wall street journal for lately .. :lol: :p

As the WSJ goes, the wife got a free subscription. Makes good fire starter. Got so much of it I might wrap my wifes x-mas presents in it.

hillsdown":1fs9x6fq said:
Looks great LRTX ! Have a great holiday weekend with the family. :tiphat:

LOL Gale, what else good is the wall street journal for lately .. :lol: :p

You got that right, HD!

Actually LRTX, I've been guilty of doing just that -- wrapping presents in newspaper (cartoons for the kids). It almost always ends up in the trash, so why spend a fortune on special wrapping paper? Makes sense to me!

tsmaxx47":2rx7zs3n said:
Jogeephus":2rx7zs3n said:
Looking good. Ever brined potatoes before cooking? An old lady showed me this and potatoes we're amazing.

how do you do it?

What she did was just make a brine with salt and water and soak the skinned and quartered potatoes overnight. It made the outside a different texture for some reason and they had a nice flavor. I imagine you could add other things to the brine as well but I've always just used the salt.

Latest posts