my steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Moomoo

Reaction score
Since you guys know a lot about show cattle, can you critique my limi steer, Moo? Our last show is on January 18-20. Thanks a bunch!

These are the most recent pics, I took them yesterday.
i149874374_21083.jpg

i145292144_99176.jpg

i149892371_51259.jpg

i149973681_35079.jpg

so far we've placed 5 out of 7, 5 out of 6, 5 out of 5, and 4 out of 4...not the best :[

any ideas why? can I do anything to get him up to speed with the rest of the show steers before the show? any advice is appreciated!

Definately needs more weight! What does he weigh now?

He's also pinched in his flank, and he needs his front feet trimmed so he stands with his legs more under his body.

Nice topline and good lenght of body.. just needs more depth and thickness.

His butt is lacking for a representative of the limousin breed. just not the muscling there that you normally see. also he has no depth. those are the first things that jump out at me.

yea he doesn't compare to the other steers at the barn weight wise, but I feed him all he'll eat (but he doesn't put away nearly as much as the other steers). I'm getting his hooves trimmed on the 4th of january. thanks!

I am going to make an unpopular statement.

I do not believe this animal will be in the winners circle so spend your money elsewhere.

Sell him if you own him and buy a better one.

Reasons: Tall and lanky, weak in the back end, narrow up front, no depth and lacks overall muscling.

If he is a registered animal - now you know that registration papers do not always mean a quality animal.

This is simply a slaughter animal.

I expect you work hard and I expect you are dedicated. I now expect you know what a winner should look like. If this animal was sold to you by a breeder for show - do not go back to him. You got a bill of goods.

Work hard and remember ALL the lessons you learn in this game - some are not as much fun as others.

Good luck on whatever road you decide to take,

Bez!

Follow what Bez told you and I will also make a statement that you probaly won't like. Take the ear rings out of your nose when you are in the showring. That alone is enough to keep the judge from giving you a second glance. The steer needs to be replaced with something much better for next year if you want to come close to winning.

Thanks guys. I'll try feeding him some more barley between now and the show (I've got him on it now, but it's not much) and see if that does anything. My sister will be the one showing the steer next year, I guess we'll try for a better one. Thanks for the tip about the earrings, I diddn't know you had to take them out! Thanks!

la4angus":3umxye44 said:
Follow what Bez told you and I will also make a statement that you probaly won't like. Take the ear rings out of your nose when you are in the showring. That alone is enough to keep the judge from giving you a second glance. The steer needs to be replaced with something much better for next year if you want to come close to winning.

oh I didn't see that part you wrote about them being in the nose...don't worry, I ALWAYS take the nost ring out when I show!

How much grain is he on now? should be approximately 2% of his body weight.

What ear rings in nose? Did I miss something?

If your last show is only 4 weeks away it would be to late and surely not financially pheasable to get a new steer. I would worm him, make sure he is getting a good finishing ration pushing him as much as I could to stimulate his eating. And then have fun, and shoot for showmanship, even if he places at the back of the group does not mean you have to!

aplusmnt":269tbveg said:
And then have fun, and shoot for showmanship, even if he places at the back of the group does not mean you have to!

That's some good advice. :) I was told once that "kids can't necessarily do anything about the quality of their animal, but they can do something about their showmanship, and that's something that everyone can shoot for.".

As a side note - will this steer be sold at this "last" show? If so, keep in mind the slaughter withdrawal times on the wormers. Injectable Ivomec has a 35 day slaughter withdrawal.

aplusmnt":2yqqs2zk said:
What ear rings in nose? Did I miss something?

If your last show is only 4 weeks away it would be to late and surely not financially pheasable to get a new steer. I would worm him, make sure he is getting a good finishing ration pushing him as much as I could to stimulate his eating. And then have fun, and shoot for showmanship, even if he places at the back of the group does not mean you have to!

Thanks! Even if I don't place with him I'm sure I'll have fun. Shows are always fun.

milkmaid":275yh80v said:
aplusmnt":275yh80v said:
And then have fun, and shoot for showmanship, even if he places at the back of the group does not mean you have to!

That's some good advice. :) I was told once that "kids can't necessarily do anything about the quality of their animal, but they can do something about their showmanship, and that's something that everyone can shoot for.".

As a side note - will this steer be sold at this "last" show? If so, keep in mind the slaughter withdrawal times on the wormers. Injectable Ivomec has a 35 day slaughter withdrawal.

It's ok I'm keeping him after the last show. I think we're worming the steers sometime this month. Thanks for all the advice!

Ok found the webpage and the nose ring. Thought I was missing some ring in the steers nose or something...lol. I would for sure loose it for the show, but I believe you said you take it out when showing.

Nice looking Paint horse. I noticed you was looking for a home for moo...don't need him but if you ever need a home for that Paint I can help you out! :)

Thanks anyways, but Max (the paint) is here to stay. I would keep Moo with him but they don't allow steers out there. No worries about the nose ring, I don't even wear it at the ag barn (it's against school dress code, so it's also against FFA dress code).

To bad, he is a nice looking horse!

Looking at your web page and you have pictures of the day you got your steer. You mention you were the last to pick. Was them some calves that were raised on ag farm or some your ag teacher picked up somewhere. I got the impression it was maybe a bunch of your classmates all picking from a group there at the school farm?

The ag teachers went out and bought a bunch of steers from auctions or a local breeder over about 4 weeks and we all spent the first month we had them halter breaking them and getting them used to people. Then they tied up all the steers to the fence one day and went down a list of people to pick, and once they had chosen their calf they got them and tied them to the other side of the fence.

For steers most of the time you are suppose to feed 3%-5% of there body weight. I would feed him Mormans the feed is called Fast Foward it is great for steers and bulls(don't use on heifers hard to breed them) This steer needs way more thickness and more depth of body. If you plan on keeping him feed really good. I would feed barley to add the finshing touches also get some beat pulp and wet it let it sit for 15min. if you put to much water in the pulp squeeze it out. After waiting 15min. mix it in real good with the Fast Foward/or the feed you use. Then add the barley and a little oats. Give him as much hay as he can eat and maybe you can get him back to the right shape. Hope this helps!!!! 8)

Latest posts