My steer may not be a steer after all....

Help Support CattleToday:

poultryrancher

Reaction score
my 18 month old angus/shorthorn cross steer, t-bone has a really big neck and head,the remnants on a scrotum and is tough to handle.I thought it was nothing...everyone's steer act this way.....right? Well I got him to the fair today,and the vet was immeaditly concerned. She felt both inside and out,and couldn't find a testicle, but she did feel the cords. She said they must have used the crushing method to castrate him.....and done a bad job of it. She let me pass, but she is convinced there is at least one testicle in thwlere higher than she could feel. She said to keep my steer as far away from other steer as possible in the ring, and to be first in the ring to avoid fights. Because my steer is a bit bully. He also has gotten pissed and tried to ram my buddy while he was tied to the wall.my showmanship class is tomorrow,and I am just so scared he will try to start a fight or hurt me.ANY Advice appreciated! I need encouragement at this point.HAS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE GONE THROUGH THIS?!! Also,is there a difference in quality of beef from a steer and a bull? Are their rates of gain and feed conversion different?

the only thing i can think of is melatonin and it is way too late to give him that... put a clip on nose ring in him just for added security, it will make you feel safer

I assume showmanship class is or is about done and over with over there...how did it go?

In times when things like this happen, it's good to have a solid training and respect fountation on animals. If needed, a little discipline. We had one that was a total nut. I swear he wasn't cut right. We straightened him up.

He did GREAT :banana: . Behavior wise. I got to the fairgrounds at 6:30 this morning, and we went for a walk. A looooong walk, up and down the fairway, before all the fairgoers got there or the fair opened. The vet said it was a good idea, my steer leader said I'd lose control of him and he'd get away ( :| I ignored him because he's a mean, poor sportsman who wanted me to do badly and almost succeeded :mad: ). We walked for at least a quarter of mile.
Then, when I got back, I got him in a wash rack and washed him, dried him, learned how to clip (my wonderful steer leader--the same one who didn't want me to walk my steer--never taught us how to clip :roll: :help: ), and clipped his whole head. And that made him look alot less "bully". Then I just had time to brush him and change into my showmanship clothes before conformation started.
I was very scared, but stayed pretty calm. And he was just a bit tired from his walk (hehehe), so he walked in and was just a doll baby. We placed fifth out of five in conformation. Yeah, sad I know. The judge said he needs more finish and is "too green" in his finish. I know he's right.
Showmanship went just about as well....Red ribbon. But my steer was very well behaved through it all, and I am so thankful!

That's great! Good job anyway. It's too bad you have a mentor that's a mean ol stick in the mud.

It really helps to stay calm for the animal. The walk was a good idea too, probably got him thinking a little and worn out. Prey animals do better when they have their feet moving!

BTW, just curious, what kind of poultry do you have?

I have chickens, a duck and a goose right now. i've been raising poultry and showing them at our county fair for five years now.After steer showmanship yesterday, I just barely had time to tie my steer up and run all the way to poultry showmanship. I won Grand Champion Senior Poultry Showman out of a class of ten. I was sooooo HAPPY! Tomorrow, I get to compete in Round Robin! YAY!
EDIT TO SAY: You probably meant what breeds of chickens I raise.... I have silkies, Silver Phoenix, Salmon Faverolles, Barred Rocks, and Australorps among other breeds and various combinations of breeds.

poultryrancher":3djlvq0z said:
He did GREAT :banana: . Behavior wise. I got to the fairgrounds at 6:30 this morning, and we went for a walk. A looooong walk, up and down the fairway, before all the fairgoers got there or the fair opened. The vet said it was a good idea, my steer leader said I'd lose control of him and he'd get away ( :| I ignored him because he's a mean, poor sportsman who wanted me to do badly and almost succeeded :mad: ). We walked for at least a quarter of mile.
Then, when I got back, I got him in a wash rack and washed him, dried him, learned how to clip (my wonderful steer leader--the same one who didn't want me to walk my steer--never taught us how to clip :roll: :help: ), and clipped his whole head. And that made him look alot less "bully". Then I just had time to brush him and change into my showmanship clothes before conformation started.
I was very scared, but stayed pretty calm. And he was just a bit tired from his walk (hehehe), so he walked in and was just a doll baby. We placed fifth out of five in conformation. Yeah, sad I know. The judge said he needs more finish and is "too green" in his finish. I know he's right.
Showmanship went just about as well....Red ribbon. But my steer was very well behaved through it all, and I am so thankful!

My son showed cattle for the last 2 1/2 years, and he really didn't expect to win every time but was glad to learn somthing new. I will pass the tip of the long walk on to him and that will help next go around with his unrully ones, (we hope).

Congratulations! either way that truly makes you a winner.

That's interesting.. I've never had a bull or heifer that didn't calm down after a walk.. the longer the better! I love walking them anyway.. gives them a chance to look at everything, and spook BEFORE you get into the ring. :cboy:

Latest posts