My re-worked sprayer is a marvel. Nothing but dead weeds.

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Wilson

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind replies to my first post, regarding the borrowed sprayer that I had to rebuild and now own. Thursday, UPS delivered my new single tapered fan, 110 degree, .15 GPM nozzles. Everything was calibrated last weekend; 1600 RPM in third gear, low range took me exactly one minute to drive my 272 foot calibration course on the gravel road. But that was with double tapered fan, .30 GPM tips which wouldn't have let me do much spraying with a 200 gallon tank. Hence, the reason for the new tips. All I had to do was switch the tips, crank the throttle to 1600 RPM's, same 20 PSI and put a measuring cup under each nozzle for one minute. That gives me the exact rate it sprays per acre. It came out to 14 ounces a minute/14 GPA. Good to go.

I mixed up 10 acres worth of Grazon, at 3 pints per acre, and surfactant. And headed out for a test run on the pasture most in need of weed control. This was an overgrown pasture that they refer to as the Outback. I brushogged it last summer. Lots of weeds, mostly ironweed, with an assortment of other undesirables including lots of blackberries. Of course, I ran out of spray before it was finished. So I trundled back to the farm house for lunch and a refill.

Lunch and refilling the sprayer took about 1 1/2 hours. When I got back to the pature, the sprayed ironweeds were already most unhappy, having stretched out 2 to 3 inches. I checked the pasture this morning and ironweeds were working on turning upside down.

Come next spring, I will have a foamer on it, dripproof nozzle bodies, electric valves, a hand gun and boom extender nozzles.

Ain't it great to see dead weeds? Yahoowee!

sounds like you have the sprayer set just rightnow how did you get tobe the owner of that spray rigg.

Latest posts