My rainy day blind

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I went, and winterized it today. I don't know why in the world, I didn't take a picture of it before I stripped it down. About a month before season, I cover it with camouflage burlap. I also cut a couple of ceders, and toss in front of it. I've been meaning to paint it camo, but it doesn't seem to stick out too bad covered in camo burlap, and brushed in a little. I put a couple of school chairs in that I dug out of a dumpster. Chopped 3 or 4 inches off the legs, and they are actually more comfortable that way. The entire bottom has been cut out of, so your feet are on the ground. I've slept like a fat baby in that thing more than a few times in a slow gentle rain :D

Pick it up, and go under. Sometimes I wish I had one of those buddy heaters, but they scare me.

Bigfoot":27kzrw0u said:
Pick it up, and go under. Sometimes I wish I had one of those buddy heaters, but they scare me.
remember them old small bathroom heaters they were white and about 14'' tall by 12'' wide I have one of them that I put me a carrying handle on and got me a reg. and propane bottle off of and old grill, that has been one of the best things I ever rigged up. I have used it in well houses, shops, places I was working, its been in several duck blinds, and is setting in a deer hut now till the end of season, even used it in and old International Scout that I use to hunt out of that did not have a heater. If I ever see another one at a junk sale or junk auction it will more than likely come home with me.

Bigfoot":1fly7eq8 said:

Ain't nothing to be scared of with a buddy heater. The smallest one they make will make it like a beach trip in there and run all day on one small bottle.

That's pretty slick bigfoot. That thing has got plenty of ventilation to use a buddy heater safely.
I seen a fellow using a port-a-toilet as a blind once. Didn't paint camouflage or anything to hide it. Just cut a hole in the door that he could see through while sitting on the seat.

TennesseeTuxedo":3uugjimf said:
How loud is it when you fire your rifle inside that shelter? I'm thinking pretty loud.

Long as you have the muzzle out the end, it's not too bad. About as loud, as fireing from a truck.

Bigfoot":1hsjyxpp said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1hsjyxpp said:
How loud is it when you fire your rifle inside that shelter? I'm thinking pretty loud.

Long as you have the muzzle out the end, it's not too bad. About as loud, as fireing from a truck.

Interesting, we've got an old water tank just like it that I've been wondering how to "re purpose" and this might just be the answer.

We have about 5 repurposed galvanized hot feeders as shooting houses. We hang burlap over windows and hang a piece of carpet on inside to absorb noise. My little heater will keep you toasty warm on a cold day.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using a heater in there, from memory carbon monoxide is heavier than air and even though your head would be in fresh air you wouldn't want to bend over and pick something off the floor without holding your breath well. I do like the idea of your hide though reminds me of WW2 machine gun box.
Ken

Very nice ... I guess you all dont get high winds there cause here that thing would not be where it was the day before if not strapped down to something lol I love my buddy heaters I have the big buddy that takes two propane tanks and that thing will melt you inside the blind so I only use one side of propane at a time.

Buddy Heaters have O2 sensors. They'll shut off before it's unsafe.

Painting the inside black may help conceal your movement.

M.Magis":1zcic91y said:

True.. ...

if you plan on using blinds alot you can get the adapter hose and run it to big tanks instead of fooling with small bottles on buddy heaters

M.Magis":1wv2g9q4 said:

That's a good tip, we wear black to hunt anyway.

Latest posts