My place, my cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Here is a link to a video I took of my cows and calves the other morning. It gives you an idea of the sort of terrain I run my cattle on, a lot of rocky outcrops and open scrub and then fairways of pasture. It has been a terrific season, some areas are waterlogged though but we are set up for our winter feed. The calves have got another 2 months on their mothers yet. I suspect a few would have hit the 300kg mark already, sires include Ashland, Musgrave Exclusive, Cluney Range Plantation (a Beast Mode son), Resource, SAV Rainmaster. The summer has been mild temp wise and the white clover is still strong, we usually lose it the end of October.

Ken

Here is a link to a video I took of my cows and calves the other morning. It gives you an idea of the sort of terrain I run my cattle on, a lot of rocky outcrops and open scrub and then fairways of pasture. It has been a terrific season, some areas are waterlogged though but we are set up for our winter feed. The calves have got another 2 months on their mothers yet. I suspect a few would have hit the 300kg mark already, sires include Ashland, Musgrave Exclusive, Cluney Range Plantation (a Beast Mode son), Resource, SAV Rainmaster. The summer has been mild temp wise and the white clover is still strong, we usually lose it the end of October.

Ken

That is nothing like I expected. I would have expected more arid conditions. That is just my misconception of AU from the movies I suppose.

The narrator seemed a little suspect though 😀😀

I suspect a few would have hit the 300kg mark already, sires include Ashland, Musgrave Exclusive, Cluney Range Plantation (a Beast Mode son), Resource, SAV Rainmaster.
Ken

Good looking bunch. Who's your fav aire group? All look good but I saw some long bodied heifers that really caught my eye about the middle of the video. How did u like Exclusive? I just used him for the first time so won't know till Oct if took.

Great video. Thank you for posting! Agree with Dixie those girls have some exceptional length for Angus. Beautiful herd and scenery. We just had our first calves from AI breeding in my tiny herd. Used Crawford Gaurantee and SAV Rainfall. What a difference in the calves compared to what we usually have

Very nice cattle. As was said above not at all what I expected. Maybe if we all posted a few videos of our conditions every now in then it would give a better understanding of the how and why we do what we do.

Good looking bunch. Who's your fav aire group? All look good but I saw some long bodied heifers that really caught my eye about the middle of the video. How did u like Exclusive? I just used him for the first time so won't know till Oct if took.
I think the Exclusives would be my favourites but also happy with the Ashlands, both would have the largest numbers.

Ken

That is nothing like I expected. I would have expected more arid conditions. That is just my misconception of AU from the movies I suppose.

The narrator seemed a little suspect though 😀😀
We have had 2 exceptional years in a row which followed on from 2 of what some say was one of the worst droughts. I'll settle for just average, I can deal with that but things usually go one way or the other. Our soil is very light sandy granite but once you get a good covering of it is a bit more resilient of dry periods. We are just behind the east coast range, back onto the highest point of 1000m in our area so do OK out of easterly showers from the coast, they drop off at my back boundary.
The majority of Australia is how you see it in the movies as you head further inland but even a lot of that can look good when water is added.

Ken

Looks great. Cattle are very tame. How often do you get wet vs. dry years?
Steve, even in dry years we seem to jag the showers and bits of rain to get by here when other areas close by are doing it tough. Those 2 years of drought we had a couple of years ago (now a distant memory) were difficult though.

Ken

Latest posts